The "Turd" is down and out(head gaskets & other stuff)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Joel! A good cleaning, seal change and paint does wonders! A few pics for inspiration!

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

BTW, with the new paint and leaks fixed, nothing sticks to the engine and it stays pretty darn clean! :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163993#p163993:3ejwtjj8 said:
joedrum » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:15 pm[/url]":3ejwtjj8]
gee wizzz what do they use on the road ......

:hihihi: It's just sand and crap that washes up on the roads after a rain, Joe. When you're riding down the road, it gets stirred up by the cars/trucks ahead, and it settles onto my engine. It also sand blasts my face at times. You should see the front side of my case guards! :hihihi:

Thanx Gerry...I'mma hopin mine will look at least 1/2 as good as yours turned out...without all the bling. Mine will be all paint. Hard enough to keep the durn thing clean as it is, without adding more chrome. Even thinking aboot painting the valve covers, but not sure what color. Still thinkin, tho. Might just paint in between each of the two raised fins, for a racing stripe look.....zoom zoom! :smilie_happy:

:ahem: :hihihi:

Gaskets and seals arrived today.... :yahoo:

I forgot to mention this...as I was moving the bike to the rear of the house to put it on the deck, I noticed the steering head bearings squeaking....I knew they were bad, and have them on my bucket list to do. Engine out would prolly be the best time to tackle that job, eh? Any advice on a supplier for the bearings & seals, brand names, etc? Bike Bandit shows them, but wondering if anyone else has done this, and where they sourced the bearings. Definitely do NOT want to do this job twiced.... :nea:

I installed some All Balls tapered steering head bearings in my 1000, I bought them on Ebay. If memory serves me they were 30 some odd bucks.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164102#p164102:dmllz30u said:
bronko37 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:53 pm[/url]":dmllz30u]
Yup, all ballz racing makes great stuff. I like their fork seals too...easily found on eBay...

And yes, I think now would be a great time to tackle such a job...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1983-HONDA ... -Y&vxp=mtr

Otay...now I'm cornfused. :headscratch: The listing says "This part is compatible with 1 vehicle(s) matching 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100 GL1100."
But, if you use the "Compatibility-Please choose your vehicle year, make and model for specific results" tool it comes up with this..."This part is not compatible with 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100 GL1100I Interstate."

Does the Innerstate use a different bearing set than the Standard?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164109#p164109:1zro4dsj said:
AApple » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:13 pm[/url]":1zro4dsj]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164102#p164102:1zro4dsj said:
bronko37 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:53 pm[/url]":1zro4dsj]
Yup, all ballz racing makes great stuff. I like their fork seals too...easily found on eBay...

And yes, I think now would be a great time to tackle such a job...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1983-HONDA ... -Y&vxp=mtr

Otay...now I'm cornfused. :headscratch: The listing says "This part is compatible with 1 vehicle(s) matching 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100 GL1100."
But, if you use the "Compatibility-Please choose your vehicle year, make and model for specific results" tool it comes up with this..."This part is not compatible with 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100 GL1100I Interstate."

Does the Innerstate use a different bearing set than the Standard?

Sorry Aapple, I was just providing an example....I just linked the first thing I saw so you could see the brand...

I got THESE off ebay just a few minutes ago. Decent price, free shipping. Other places have the same bearing set for cheaper, but with shipping added in they were much higher. :good:
:thanks:

Good choice. Looks like the right ones for the job. Use a good synthetic wheel grease with moly. Should last near forever.

:good:
Got a really good rear drive hub ordered, since the splines on mine are just aboot completely gone. Also ordered a new shift shaft seal. Considered getting new springs for the rear shocks(again), but decided to put those off for a while, since I just had them off to put new seals in them recently. Got the carbs cleaned up on the outside, just need to open them up and see how nasty(or not) they are on the inside. May just leave them alone if they are clean inside.

Should be able to get the block cleaned this weekend, and get the head bolts holes drilled/Helicoiled. Also still need to get the valves out of the heads and finish cleaning them, and lapping. Might actually be able to get the engine re-assembled next weekend, and then start on the tires, and fixing the plastic body parts up.
I been window shopping on fleabay....but have to hold back and just get what I really need to get the bike back on the road reliably, and safely. Chrome don't get ya home... :hihihi: :whistling:

Sounds real good. With the road grime there are you planning to paint the motor satin black? I always liked that look.

I have considered painting it black, but I'm more inclined to go back with a "factory" look with the silvers/natural aluminuminum colors. I'll prolly do some different shades of silvers on different parts, just to have a little contrast. The main objective is to get it clean, and look nice. Onced I fix all the erl leaks, it should stay fairly clean....at least that's the idea. Also considering doing some polishing on some of it, like the intake tubes. We shall see how it goes, as it goes. I have the time to do it right this time, so I ain't in no big hurry.....yet. :good:

3rd week(end) update....
Got the block Helicurled, and the left side head finished. Pulled the valves, cleaned them up and down in the ports of the head, then lapped the valves. Got the carbs de-gunked on the outside, ready to take a peek at the inside when I get to that point. Kinda rainy again here today.
I should be able to get the right side head done tomorrow, and depending on the weather, I might be able to get the engine outside, sprayed with de-gunk, and cleaned enough to paint. Leaning towards maybe painting the block black, and then all of the bolt-on stuff like heads and covers silver, or polished.

:crying: On a much sadder note....the fan I've had running underneath the '74 Corvette(keeps the humility down) finally took a dump. It's only been running non-stop for at least 15 years. What a POS! Just don't make them like they used to.... :smilie_happy:

Carbs slightly cleaner than befo

Tapping head bolt holes

Installing Helicurls

Helicurls installed

Left side head finished

To be continued... :builder:

- :crying: On a much sadder note....the fan I've had running underneath the '74 Corvette(keeps the humility down) finally took a dump. It's only been running non-stop for at least 15 years. What a POS! Just don't make them like they used to.... :smilie_happy: -

Your fan took a dump?!?! I thought the s#*t was supposed to hit the fan...

Good progress is being made - cool!!

Latest posts