Tips on installing a fuel pump?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I honestly starting to believe that over the last 16 years this bike has grown a brain somewhere, and has decided that, it don't wanna be ridden, it just wants to be worked on!

I got it all together this evening, started it up and it ran real good for about 30 seconds and it blew the main fuse!! :Awe:

Maybe I just pinched a wire when I put on the fake tank? I dunno, and I'm certain I'd prefer it happened in my backyard than halfway up the NTP.

But I'll tell you this though. This bike will be, within the next month, the most reliable 1100 goldwing mongrel EVER!!! :builder: :rant:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171820#p171820:1mobr8u2 said:
Denver » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:31 am[/url]":1mobr8u2]
Sounds like a plan. :good:
A good one at that!! :moped: :clapping:

So here's what I got.

When I installed and re-wired the automotive fuse box, I put it in the best but dead wrong place, this short has been an accident waiting to happen since the day I did that, probably 3 years ago.

Turns out that the left nut and bolt that holds the front flap & spring on the fake tank comes into direct contact with the 4 hot wires feeding the fuse box, over time.

If I was to move the fuse box (even slightly) to another location, I could not bolt it down securely.

So here's what I'm gonna do, (and if this was a standard I would not, as the fairing stops it from lifting.)

I'm gonna leave out the front horizontal bolts that secure the fake tank and let it ride about a 1/4 of an inch higher than it normally would.

What about that?

Not sure if this info is relevant but there are at least three different fuel pumps, made by different manufacturers I think, for the 1000/1100 models. I don't have pumps here to compare but just wondering if the very early 75 one made by Kisan is different enough to make that up that difference.