To Add or not to add a 4.8 gallon gas tank keeping oem 5.02 tank for a total of 9.82 gallons of gas.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still trying to decide if i like the Batwing on it or Not.

The batwing would provide some storage, also thought a single seat and the small silverwing trunk, behind the single seat.

I may stay with the tandem seat.

Batwing is about 1.5" + too high right now in the picture and would be lowered, as the gauges would be mounted in the two speaker holes.

You can see by the picture, that the batwing is too high in relation to the headlight height.

Either that or my headlight needs a longer bracket, so that the headlight is raised to match the Batwing.

The height to hand grips looks like it may be about right.

This would leave me a nice sized storage section for storing stuff in there.

I also thought about putting mirrors in the wing tips, and also LED driving lights & turn signal in the wingtips

I would put a adjustable height windshield on the bat wing, with shield Tilt.

I dont need a radio, I have a Sony walkman that has at least 20 full cds of music and comfortable earbuds, I put those in before i put on my helmet, and have great sound for more riding than i do, or i can use my smart phone.

Here is a pic

a picture of the Batwing on my 86' you can see the speaker holes they are 6x9 size, and the center section.

I was thinking both gauges speedo & tach in left speaker hole, and center idiot light cluster mounted on the top section of tank above the gas cap.

That would leave me the right speaker hole and center section for storage, the fairing speaker hole and center holes are deep.

I like the lower look of the Royal Star tank. I feel like all you need is a tapped ( soldered or whatever works) in line into the GW filler neck sort of like a radiator cap overflow line. Then you could run the GW tank out and just let the Royal tank gravity fill the empty GW tank. With the smaller capacity no problems with overflowing. I think I prefer your naked look without the batwing but that is just me. As Dan said just get a magnetic tank bag for travelling storage.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116464#p116464:bvpupygl said:
Ansimp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:14 pm[/url]":bvpupygl]
I like the lower look of the Royal Star tank. I feel like all you need is a tapped ( soldered or whatever works) in line into the GW filler neck sort of like a radiator cap overflow line. Then you could run the GW tank out and just let the Royal tank gravity fill the empty GW tank. With the smaller capacity no problems with overflowing. I think I prefer your naked look without the batwing but that is just me. As Dan said just get a magnetic tank bag for travelling storage.

Yes, that was my thought too, just let it get down to the reserve, then turn valve, to start filling the lower tank, while riding, or at or before a rest stop.

Yes, the upper 4.8gal tank will not over flow the Lower Oem 5.02 tank without reserve, or 5.30 with reserve.

I am wondering what the fill rate will be, and how long (time wise) will it take to drain/fill from top tank to lower tank?

If it was as long as a 10 minute fill time, I think that would be to Long, but the reserve would get you riding while top tank was filling the lower oem tank.

That is were i am going to have to use a large enough hose & fitting to transfer fuel fast enough.

If i could get a 5 minute or less compete fill time, at the gas station, upper tank empty, and lower tank at the reserve, filling both tanks in less than 5 minutes would be good. I would be very happy.

I want the fill time to be fast, cause when i do go to the gas station to fill, I will be filling through the upper tank to fill the lower tank.

This is going to be something that i will have to play with and do a few times to see how it goes, and what happens in worst case scenario.

Try to make it leak at the gas station while filling up.

I think when filling watch the amount, or watch the gas gauge, since it is for the lower tank, that would tell all fuel going in lower tank, then switch the upper tank valve to off, this would stop any more gas from over filling the bottom tank, then continue to fill the upper tank till full.

I could put a clear hose between the two tanks when i see gas in hose turn top tan valve to closed, then fill top tank till full.

Charlie looks like you have a 27' T bucket, I have a 29' T bucket steel body, with Rumble seat, that is Converted it to a trunk, always wanted a 32' A

Yeah the fill rate.. that was my biggest negative about the design.... you have a 1 + inch pump powered device going in and a small drain into the lower tank... definitely long fill time I think you may find it to be closer to 15 minutes because you would have to stop and let gas drain into low tank and deal with venting the air out... . Now if you could open up the line going into lower tank to 1 inch or larger.. and ventted to top fill port you could cut that time seriously

That 1" hose is the way my v65 magna transfers fuel from the top to bottom tank. I think when i do mine(as i am following the above idea** Thank You Sir**) i am going to plum it with 1/2" hose and a 1/4" vent to the top tank as i can drink a coke while we both burp!

I was envisioning filling both tanks separately and just using a gravity transfer when the GW tank is empty.

It can be a pain to work on the motor if it has to be removed each time. I did mine like a Magna where it can be tilted back and up to work on things. I opined on the other site, I don't find any change in the top heaviness, but my bike has other mods, different forms, monshock, and lowered the whole back end about 1.5".

West the batwing makes the big tank work for me, and like Dan said the very large soft bags would work with that trunk nicely.

Yes i miss Old Girlfriend around here too Dan.
(pardon off topic please)

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116522#p116522:2juq2jdg said:
Omega Man » Thu May 01, 2014 3:53 am[/url]":2juq2jdg]
West the batwing makes the big tank work for me, and like Dan said the very large soft bags would work with that trunk nicely.

~O~

I would like to know which soft bags those were, I liked the looks of them, were they easy to remove? any framing/support under them?

Was "Old Girl Friend" one of Dan's previous bikes, that is no more? What was it? Year? GL?

Well since the Lower Gas Tank Cap is vented, I think the drain/Fill between the Upper & lower tank should fill at in a decent time interval.

I want to be able to retain the stock Yamaha Tank Three Way Valve, for fuel delivery, that way i can shut it off, if needed.

Under the tank there is a spot where a plate and gasket mount, and that could have a large fitting/valve, maybe a good sized Ball valve put in line to it? But access would be need to make it work.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116528#p116528:33x4gies said:
westgl » Thu May 01, 2014 5:16 am[/url]":33x4gies]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116522#p116522:33x4gies said:
Omega Man » Thu May 01, 2014 3:53 am[/url]":33x4gies]

~O~

I would like to know which soft bags those were, I liked the looks of them, were they easy to remove? any framing/support under them?

Was "Old Girl Friend" one of Dan's previous bikes, that is no more? What was it? Year? GL?

I'll look for the thread here that had the name of the bags, Just need to find it. I just had the regular rear crash bars that I secured the bags at the bottom with a small hose clamp the the bar the the regular Hondaline bags would sit on. The top of the bags were secured with 6 plastic clips(three each side) to a flap under the seat.

Old Girlfriend was my bike that I bought for $600 and rehabbed here at CGW. She was an 82 1100
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30&p=92#p92

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116535#p116535:4k20vjze said:
Omega Man » Thu May 01, 2014 5:51 am[/url]":4k20vjze]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116528#p116528:4k20vjze said:
westgl » Thu May 01, 2014 5:16 am[/url]":4k20vjze]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116522#p116522:4k20vjze said:
Omega Man » Thu May 01, 2014 3:53 am[/url]":4k20vjze]

~O~

I'll look for the thread here that had the name of the bags, Just need to find it. I just had the regular rear crash bars that I secured the bags at the bottom with a small hose clamp the the bar the the regular Hondaline bags would sit on. The top of the bags were secured with 6 plastic clips(three each side) to a flap under the seat.

Old Girlfriend was my bike that I bought for $600 and rehabbed here at CGW. She was an 82 1100
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30&p=92#p92

~O~

That was a very nice looking bike, love the bags looks like they expand/contract, as they looked very wide in a couple pictures, I like that.

I will get some pictures of the tank off of the bike, underneath, front and back mounts.

I will try to show the upper tanks Front mounts, that could allow for a pivot Up and the rear of tank forward.

That is if it does not interfere with the handle bars/mounts.

The question is, can a couple of Pivot bars be made fairly easily, for the front mounts, and a quick release rear tank mount, the pivot bars would allow the whole tank to move back maybe as much as 4"-6" backwards, and pivot the front of tank up 4"-6" Higher to get the tank UP and out of the way.

Kind of like the hood of a car.

Got some pictures.

First the Upper tank, showing the Front tank mount, and Frame mount in one picture, if a "S" shaped bracket were made one side to front tank Mount other side to frame mount, that would give maybe a 4"-6" Lift of the front of the tank, then just pivot the rear of the tank forward.

Then a quick disconnect for Gas Tanks Rear Mount.

Then flip up like the hood of a car.

Maybe a prop rod to hold it up

This Picture, shows a Tank Vent that is already on the Upper tank.

That vent could be a second hose/fitting going to the filler neck to accelerate the fill process.

Bottom of tank showing tank well size and a possible second gas flow port under tank

Latest posts