To Add or not to add a 4.8 gallon gas tank keeping oem 5.02 tank for a total of 9.82 gallons of gas.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another shot of the Front tank mount from underneath.

Another shot of the rear tank mount from underneath.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116562#p116562:1m2466og said:
joedrum » Thu May 01, 2014 8:35 am[/url]":1m2466og]
who that man painted on the tank ...nice wast ... i like it...

Hey thanks Joe,

That did get a little bit of a mirror image of me, but more like a clown mirror at the circus.

These two pictures show the width of the tank, on the bike with the tandem seat.

I test rode it with the tank on there as i want to see if i would like it and if it was comfortable.

I have had some bikes that the tank was too wide and made it uncomfortable.

But this was NOT the case as the new Yamaha tank, riding position, is very comfortable riding with it, and leg position.

I had a C109R that had a WIDE tank it was slightly bordering on uncomfortable on a Long ride but short rides were great.

Here is a picture of My GL1500 that has the same Idea using a dual tank It has a Suzuki M109R Tank on it, tank is Wide and Long, 4.9 Gal.s

The GL1500 project still needs the wiring to be brought inboard in between the frame rails, That is also another single Carb project.

There are Miles of vacuum lines and smog valves every where on the GL15, converting it to single carb, I am really hopeful that it would really turn the GL15 into a power house.
Stock 88' GL1500
100h.p. @ 5200rpm
110 lbs. per ft. @ 4000rpm
0-60 in 5.2 seconds

If torque could get to the 120-125ft lb range, that would be awesome.
It already has good sized 1.0" ID intake manifold runners, PVC pipe to plumb between the two manifolds and a Polaris adapter, and I'm in.
But I dont want to get off subject.

GL15 oem carbs, 2 Carbs 33mm CV-type

86' GL12 seat on the GL15, new seat cover not installed yet

I want a narrower look with the engine to be very pronounced and sticking out all over the place.

I wanted the GL15 to go between trike and two wheel If I wanted to change back and fourth.

I am making an enclosure around the single carb just below the new Gas tank frame rails,

By adding some side panels to keep the heat in and blocking the Upper Tanks front opening of the tunnel under the gas tank to keep the engine heat within the built enclosure.

More detail is in the link.

Here is a link to that thread.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=7940

Ive been thinking about access to under the tank, & storage, & filling the two gas tanks & how to make this work as easily and painless as possible.

I am going to add a either a door hinge or a piece of piano hinge, the hinge will be bolted to the mount at the rear of the tank and to the front seat mount slide in mount.

This is to hinge the rear mount of the Top tank.

I am going to use two quick pins for the front mount of the upper gas tank.

I am going to use two quick pins for the Rear mount of the Seat, I want to be able to pull those two pins out and slide the seat back out of the way so that the upper tank can pivot/hinge up & back so that I can fill the lower tank from the OEM gas cap/filler.

Once the lower tank is filled, replace gas cap, then Lower the upper tank and secure it using the pins.

Then slide the seat back forward and into position, and install the locking pins, securing the seat.

I will have two quick disconnects pins, that I can pull out and hinge the front of the upper tank, Pull the pins raise the front of the upper tank, hinge it up and back to access, a few things.

you now have access to:
1. Single carb & top of engine, ignition components, ie: coils
2. I want to use the well under the upper tank as a storage, it is a fairly good size, and put a tray under the tank well, to store small items and paperwork that can be accessed easily & quickly.
3. Fill the Lower tank with gas using the OEM gas tank filler.

I will NOT mod the oem tank like originally thought on the filler neck, and will not have the upper tank fill the lower OEM tank.

I will run both tanks to a three way valve, and the third position, of the three way valve will go to the fuel pump.

This way i can switch between the two tanks, for fuel to the engine, for operation, and fill the two tank individually.

it would be like going from regular tank to reserve tank, a very large Reserve tank, I will still have the reserve tank in the OEM lower tank,

This new way sounds like a much cleaner way to do it.

Latest posts