trouble with batteries

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joedrum":qzqi49g0 said:
gee as much trouble as some have had with replacment starters id see about taking it to a starter rebuild shop...
Agreed.
It seems its getting to the point a new starter that will actually fit is around $200.

Try a google search , starter and alternator repair in your city.

hello everybody,
swapped starters on the wings. well one of them anyway.no problems encountered other than the 81 was a little harder to get out but every thing worked ok except is still charging at 15 volts at any rpm.
new r/r is indicated right?
wonder how long it will run at !5v burn the battery and starter again maybe?? or probaly.
thanks for all the helk and incouragement.
may try to install the new mosfet regulator later

Good news so far.

15 volts will damage the battery but not the starter.
Possibly as mentioned your meter could be off just enough when there might only be 14.5 to the battery.
Would be worth borrowing a near new digital volt meter or buying one and check voltage at the battery posts.

forgot to mention it but i was questioning my meter so i bought a new one .guess what,same results
just under to just over 15v like 14.98 to 15.02 the tests were made at the battery posts.
i thought that the increase in voltage was due to soldering the 3 yellow stator wires.
maybe my solder job was not up to par.think i will resolder tomorrow and recheck.

darn, spent 15 minutes composing post and lostit.
used 2 meters on vot check at batt terms
think i will blame it on my solder job and redo.then go from there.
hav to take my better half to football game tomorrow.
am sure you guys have better things to do on weekend.
later

hi windnwing
thanks for the input, i hav e actually been leaning that way.justhope its not the stator.
will install reg/rec from the 81. dont know if it any better but will try and see.
some people are using the newer type reg mosfetor something like that.it doesn't
send unused voltage to ground. going to check it out regardless.
thanks again for the post

sorry for the delay in posting reg change but my wife has a heart condition and she had an episode that scared the
you know what out of us.
did change to the 81 reg and there was no difference still almost 15v. at all rpms.

Sorry for your scare. Hope the wife is okay now. Just where are you measuring and have you made sure the battery is fully charged?

for got to mention before my wifes episode i got the courage toride for a coke break just to see what would happen.
no blown fuses. no burned out bulbsand the battery did not get warm.
of course not long ride only about 30 miles round trip.
no scared of breakdown. lol
latrer

I'm tending toward believing your meters are both in need of 'zeroing'. Both regulators allowing 15 volts at idle and all rpm and the battery still cool just doesn't seem possible. Have you tried cleaning the connections at both ends of both battery cables? It might be a dirty connection is causing extra draw. Not sure though.

Next ride out take it to a parts store and ask them to check the charging and the battery condition. I'm betting its fine and the meters lie.