trouble with batteries

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
try taking your meter and reading the voltage across the battery of your car and see what that shows.

belated follow up.
sorry for the delay on this problem.
decided to just ride the bike and if it blew up so be it.
rechecked the voltage today and it wouldnt charge past 14.8. problem solved?
the idle voltage has settled down to aronnd 14v.still high at idle but doing ok.
think i have a fuel problem now. will investigate. probably needs rebuiling.
these grimmlins are challenge arent they?

don

I just read this entire thread and nobody mentioned 2 items on the overcharging. The black wire to the regulator is to sense the battery voltage to tell the reg when to charge and when not to, if it is not getting battery voltage it will overcharge. Also the regulator ground, 2 green wires in the connector and the main ground on the front coil bolt. If they have a poor connection it will also cause overcharging.

DaveO430":6iq9x0k8 said:
I just read this entire thread and nobody mentioned 2 items on the overcharging. The black wire to the regulator is to sense the battery voltage to tell the reg when to charge and when not to, if it is not getting battery voltage it will overcharge. Also the regulator ground, 2 green wires in the connector and the main ground on the front coil bolt. If they have a poor connection it will also cause overcharging.
very good points! :thanks:

\

thanks dave0430 and slabghost for the response.
i will check those out a little later as tomorrow will be nice to ride; will take out the valk for a little jaunt.
will post what i find.

don