Vacuum advance and pluse generator (VACUUM ADVANCE REBUILD)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found something out today with my friends oem vacuum advance canister, if you pump it[mitty vac] up it bleeds off until it gets to the 3.2 hg's[it was actually at 2.2] area then stops there at that point.. The freakin thing is designed to bleed off down to the correct settings..However my friends first still leaked down after that mark really slowly, I found the leak came from the seal on the rear of the cannister where you set the adjusting screw inside the unit..Problem solved on the leak.. Once I pump it up it bled down to 2.2hg and I thought, I will just cover the end with my thumb and try it again, bingo. it stopped the gauge or stop the leak..Now I learned what the adjuster screw in the can is for, it adjusts the hg number when the air bleeds down, if you screw it in the readings will go up, so screw it in down some and pump it up, now the reading will be higher on the pumps gauge like maybe 4.0 hg , if you back it out it will drop it. it's supposed to be 3.2 hg[Mine is now] for 81's on up and 3.9hg for 80's so that's something I learned today[ The Adjusting Screw]..The rear set screw must be sealed good to avoid leaks in the future once set correctly..My aftermarket one doesn't bleed off air at all period, while attached to the pump.. If you pump it hard to 6.0hg or even 10hg it will stay there you shouldn't ever get that much vacuum on this bike I wouldn't think, I put the new canister on the bike today, It Fits... Yeh,, I was worried about that..No problem.. So now I have two good canisters...Yes.. and I educated myself too..I just want to help the next guy..The guy that doesn't know or is unsure.. I sure didn't know when I started messing with this, but now I know more about it..I'm gonna bet I feel the difference once the bike is reassembled..cool.. later :grin:

You got me wondering now if the one I took apart that had good rubber was leaking past the screw :doh:
I never checked that.
Some guys have said the screw is visible, other say theirs is sealed. Maybe it SHOULD be sealed.

dan filipi":38pbs6ya said:
You got me wondering now if the one I took apart that had good rubber was leaking past the screw :doh:
I never checked that.
Some guys have said the screw is visible, other say theirs is sealed. Maybe it SHOULD be sealed.
There is a drop of sealer on that screw cover, looks like epoxy, that's probably where your leak was and many others I'm sure.. You did say you didn't have any holes in your diaphragm..3.2 hg isn't that much vacuum.. Did you pitch it or keep it, the bottom is like gold man, my after market one works good but you need the bottom of the oem.. That end screw opening must be Sealed, I can grant you that..if there isn't a cap on it, it's leaking..Period..I know this for sure..

dan filipi":169hlhmh said:
I don't remember what I did with it.
I found the pickups complete with the plate though.

I go have a look in the gayrage.
Well, those after market cannisters are cheap if you want to have some fun, the only thing is you can't adjust it like the oem, but it's pretty close to 3.2hg.. And functions great.. :grin:

joedrum":3jayrrov said:
so beaver is it on the bike now and running :mrgreen:
No, not yet, I want to get some new exhaust gaskets first, probably tomorrow if the wife doesn't have me out again all day..I'm excited though, Before I put the whole housing back on I cleaned up the mechanical advance a second time with brake cleaner and wd-40, I gave it a bath in it..everything there is moving great..You know my first question when I asked about the center bolt on the pulse generator, it was to the mechanical advance under it, the pulser shaft..I thought that bolt may of needed to come off.. shows you how much I knew at the time..ha ha..Now I'm making new canisters ha ha :smilie_happy: later

dan filipi":3212vwpw said:
I would use some light oil on the advancer, WD40 doesn't last as a lubricant.
I put a few drops of 3 in 1 oil but I bet not enough, I am debating wheather to use the oem or my aftermarket, I might just take the aftermarket one back off and use the oem one.. and I'll put more oil in the mechanical advancer for sure, I know I didn't use enough..I never took it off, did everything in place..found no need to..Have you guy's ever put a timing light on your bike to check the timing?, do you need mirrors? ha ha.. :grin:

littlebeaver":nvsxyaxf said:
dan filipi":nvsxyaxf said:
I would use some light oil on the advancer, WD40 doesn't last as a lubricant.
Yes, I use 3 in one after the clean up, I just used that other stuff to clean it up...thanks... :grin:

Coolness.

I am considering leaving off the pulse generator cover so I can visually watch the vacuum advance operate, and also check with the timing light on it's marks, mirror's sound good to me, if I need to change something I guess now's the time to do it.. What do you guy's think..?? I'll get my 13 year old daughter to help throttle it when needed, she has fun doing that.. :grin:

I sealed the back of the canister today, where the adjustable set screw is, I used JB Weld, but first I got a small piece of tissue and made a spitball and stuffed it in the hole so it doesn't dibble down inside of the canister on the screw head .. Should work good.. :grin:

Some more photo'sView attachment 2View attachment 1 Make a note of how much it closes originally before you start , it should be about 1/4 " or so........... you can just use a little jb weld around the shaft as a stop.... 1/4" from the bottom where it goes in and your good so when it retracts it retract 1/4" and no more and it was before, I'd go all the way around the shaft with je weld..I could't read the numbers on the bit, make sure it's not too tight you don't want to damage the threads for your arm connection..Just so you know the threads on the arm are even finer than the 0.70 pitch tap and die I used that I used.. :grin: I'm crazy no? So I hope this help someone if they have lots of holes and leaks in their Vacuum Advance canister...This project was fun, a total blast for me, I want to share this on here for the next guy..Who says Americans are dumb... shoot.. :smilie_happy:

this is as good as it get id say beaver ....and something that been needed a long time ....user rebuild and repair on 1100 ignition as honda has abandon suppling parts..... :mrgreen: its going to help me for sure :mrgreen:

It will help me too for sure.
I'll be pulling this engine eventually to see why mine runs with too much advance so I'll be fixing the vac advance at the same time.

Thanks for the how to and pics!

Ok, I almost forgot one of the most important things to do if your going the after market route, be sure to mark some reference marks before you even start this project so that everything is exactly as it was before...Here are two photo's, and I'm done with it,, promise :smilie_happy: Most important though..View attachment 1

Latest posts