why is my gl1000 overheating

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retarded ignition timing will absolutely cause an engine to run hot...and do it fairly quickly.

I have seen the water pump turning and in the right direction. The water is circulating. The fan is working, I hot wired it to run constantly at this point. Like I said we have gone thru and replaced the entire cooling system. The reason I think it's internal, is because after having no luck, we took the entire cooling system off of our other goldwing that we know 100% works, and put it on my bike. The only left we can think of is timing and carbs. I have heard bad timing will and fuel burning will cause it to over heat. So I ordered a dyna electronic ignition, and we have a carb synchro on the way. We tried timing it with our homemade inspection plug, but the results arent as good as I would like. So imma just do away with the points and move on. Like I said before there are absolutely no signs of a bad head gasket or a cracked head whatsoever. Lol I'm praying this electronic ignition and having the carbs synched does the trick. I am a motorcycle missionary, and my bike not running right is really affecting my ministry! So again i love your guys feedback keep it coming!

can you actuly hear the water boiling when its hot sometimes the 7 volt regulator gose out and the temp and gas guage read higher than suppose to cause there running on 12volt now

Yes it will physically boil over. Here is an interesting turn in this saga. The chrome plate on the head says 1100. We figured someone just dressed up the head with the plate. My pops spoke to a Honda mechanic, he said someone could have very well put an 1100 head on it, meaning the head isn't getting enough water flow from the 1000 engine! Haven't verified this as fact yet, but I will be super bummed if this is the case. I have heard of people using the gl1000 heads on the 1100 and 1200's, but not vise versa. What are your thoughts?

the heads are exactly the same on 1000 and1100 heads only minor differences....1200 are differennt but this line of thinking is all wrong ...this has nothing to do with hot problem unless something wrong ...

ok we are gonna do the head gasket, where is the best place to get gl1000 parts? i need this bike on the road by july 7th, so it must have good shipping options! i found some good buys on ebay. just curious if you oldwing veterans had any particular places you get your stuff....

Hold the phone!!!. Over heating is not the heads. Get the ignition timing right and carbs adjusted. A combination of too much advance in ignition and too lean a fuel mixture will cause it to run very hot. If you run it in the dark the headers may even glow from the heat. Have you checked the valves? Incorrect valve adjustment can also add to the problem. If the heads aren't leaking they are more than likely fine. If you think the head coolant passages may be plugged. Remove one of the crossover ends and force water in by hose. If it flows out the open end they are both clear.

If you do replace the head gaskets,safe yourself some greif and only buy HONDA gaskets.I learned this the hard way as well as others.Also,make sure to have the heads inspected/nagnafluxed for cracks.

What about the air filter? Some PO's like mine drill holes in the lid thinking it will help(airflow?), and I remember Dan saying this can lead to the front two cylinders running way too hot.

Just a 2 cent thought.

~O~

Hello. Did you ever find out what it was? I have the same problem on my bike. EXCEPT I have not changed the water pump. New head gaskets, new thermostat, new fan switch, clean carbs, fuel system. I guess I should get a new pump and then ask questions huh? THanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 119
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146921#p146921:2dwlozor said:
Gonz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:12 am[/url]":2dwlozor]
Hello. Did you ever find out what it was? I have the same problem on my bike. EXCEPT I have changed the water pipe. New head gaskets, new thermostat, new fan switch, clean carbs, fuel system. I guess I should get a new pump and then ask questions huh? THanks.
file.php
Beautiful barn find :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146921#p146921:35xhdtq2 said:
Gonz » Today, 5:12 pm[/url]":35xhdtq2]
Hello. Did you ever find out what it was? I have the same problem on my bike. EXCEPT I have not changed the water pump. New head gaskets, new thermostat, new fan switch, clean carbs, fuel system. I guess I should get a new pump and then ask questions huh? THanks.
file.php
Have you had the radiator rodded?
Are all the fins straight to let air blow through and are any fins separated from the core?

By running hot, explain when and under what conditions.
Are you sure the temp gauge is reading correctly?

Thank you Dan. I have not had the radiator rodded and it is something that will be done when I change the water pump, which I should replace regardless. Im sure the radiator has gunk in it. The fins are a little banged up but look to be ok. Radiator cap is new. Fan switch and thermostat are new. I believe the gauge is reading correctly. Here are thy symptoms....she can idle for 20 mins and only reach half gauge. Never heating up. But after a cruise around the hood she will start leaking a lot of coolant throught the exhaust valve in the overflow tank....again the temp gauge never gowing over halfway mark. Has to be either water pump or clogged radiator ...she was in a barn for 4 years.

Is it possible that the new cap is not the correct one? If it is spewing water out the overflow/expansion pipe before the fan has cut in and temp gauge is halfway ( which means gauge and fan switch are good) then you may be pressurising the radiator from a leaking head gasket etc ( compression pressure in the cooling system)

the cap is from honda. its the correct one. the head gaskets were changed. No signs of blown hg. I guess we will know more when I change the pump and flush out the radiator.

Latest posts