'85 1200 Fuel Injection System On An '83 1100?!?!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this for a long time, as I really appreciate the advantages of fuel injection. So when forum member backyardtrouble put this one up for sale, I just couldn't resist.

It almost looks brand new, it's so clean!

I know there is a difference in width between the 1200 and 1100 engines, so I will need to narrow this assembly somehow. Maybe machining the throttle bodies and/or intakes...

I bolted the right side intakes to an empty engine, and sure enough, the left side doesn't line up.

Also, the intake tubes on the 1200 will bolt up to the head, but they are slightly narrower. Hmmmm...

This is how far off the width is...

I removed the air chamber and bolted up the left intakes. The metal fuel line had to be disconnected.

Here, again, is the difference in width...

Narrowing the air chamber is another option. Either machine the mating surfaces, or cut out a section and weld it back together. Here's the bottom of the air chamber...

And here's the top of the chamber...

I'm going to do some measuring to see exactly how much narrowing needs to be done. I also need to gather all the other sensors, relays, computer (ECU), fuel pump and hardware to put all this together. This is gonna be fun! Any and all suggestions are welcome, and appreciated!

A couple of decompression head spacers and a really big turbo :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100282#p100282:39ztt0w6 said:
82a » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:45 pm[/url]":39ztt0w6]
someone else did this plenty of info out there
Got any links, I'd like to see how they did it.

Taunusrainier did this at NGW a few years back. He sliced a quarter inch out of one side of the plenum and used jbweld I think to reassemble it. He had a pretty complete post on it.

If it were me, I would machine two offset spacers, one for each head that allows the FI unit to remain the same and just allows proper mating to the 1100 intakes.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100255#p100255:2b84arue said:
Steve83 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:45 pm[/url]":2b84arue]
Narrowing the air chamber is another option. Either machine the mating surfaces, or cut out a section and weld it back together. Here's the bottom of the air chamber...
yup

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100297#p100297:1s3s2qbd said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:54 pm[/url]":1s3s2qbd]
If it were me, I would machine two offset spacers, one for each head that allows the FI unit to remain the same and just allows proper mating to the 1100 intakes.
That was a thought until I measured the height of the assembly. (Thanks, Dan!) As it sits, there will be less than 1/4" between the fuel rails and the frame. Spacers won't work. :crying:

I've measured a 16mm difference that needs to be removed. I hope to come up with something that will do minimal destruction to these rare parts, just in case this doesn't work.

it just looks like theres no hope unless you just mount it make your fuel rail and linkage set up ...an custom air box ....or its just a 1200 deal ... way to many obstacles .. and just total butcher job to use 1200 airbox

image.php

seems to me this is where id start ...it hooks up nice right here ...the air rather separate for each side or together could be custom ... seems kind of nice seeing it all mounted nice to fit ...I cant figure why no one tried this approach :mrgreen:

I've thought that this would be a great thing to do for years. One problem now is finding a good used injector phlenum and related parts needed. Next, you have to figure out how to trigger the injectors, you need a clean signal from the injector pulse to do this, or use the original module. It can be done, with two bikes, I'm sure you can figure it out. The thing is if you have the money and time. I seem to have a lot more time than money.

If you don't know much about honda's fuel injection system, study up on it. Understand how the system is supposed to work originally. This will help you understand what mods you are going to have to make. I keep my bike period correct, down to the radio, mounted on the windjammer III.

Looking at it without the plenum makes me wonder how important the plenum is. Could it be run like the old hilborns ect with some type of air cleaner. The tube with the banjo fittings could be replaced with a flexible or custom fit high pressure type if needed.
EDIT..Maybe a pipe type nipple affixed to the end an an angled K&N or Uni filter on each one.

The phlenum is important as to control intake air. The butterfly valves in the venturi will still have to be synced. Without sequential fuel injecton, since this is not a really high tech fuel contol but most likely a bank fire or, crossfire injection with waste spark ignition.

In theory, you could turn the intakes around and have two airboxes one on each side, but the air control would be an issue. Intake air must be controlled. Intake for each cylinder IF you wanted to have two airboxes and air cleaners. This could lead to sync problems in a major way.

Think I'll stick to my carb rack for the time being. Even if I do clean a little rust out of the bowls from time to time. Actually, the kei hin carbs with metal slides are very reliable.

Latest posts