'85 1200 Fuel Injection System On An '83 1100?!?!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Tony - good to hear from ya! :salute:

I was actually more concerned about excessive oiling of the right-hand cylinders than low oil pressure, but these Hastings piston rings seem to control it fine. The 1200's also have the oil restrictor between the head and block, so I guess the lifters don't use much, once they're pumped up.

only thing I know is the oil orifice coming from block to head is different and bigger flow ...1200 oil pumps pump 10% more volume .....and when dan had 1200 cams in his 1100 something was going on with compression ...I don't know what that means or why ......

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101308#p101308:1h35f4c2 said:
joedrum » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:38 am[/url]":1h35f4c2]
only thing I know is the oil orifice coming from block to head is different and bigger flow ...1200 oil pumps pump 10% more volume .....and when dan had 1200 cams in his 1100 something was going on with compression ...I don't know what that means or why ......
never confirmed but looked like cams are L-Right and one was wrong

Do not have to use the head off the 1200. Use the fuel pump driven gear that drives the fuel pump on the right rear head. I put an electric fuel pump on my 1100 long ago. Since you are modifying the entire engine it needs electric fuel pump anyway.

From the wiring diagram, you might possibly use the ignition pickups to drive not only ignition but also the injector pulse through the ignition pickup on the 1100.

Then, you only need a crank sensor to control the spark. I would for certain see if the 1200 wiring harness would be a good fit on the 1100. If you have a label maker, mark where the engine electronics come from on the 1200 as you take it down.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101312#p101312:20xrv8az said:
82a » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:07 am[/url]":20xrv8az]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101308#p101308:20xrv8az said:
joedrum » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:38 am[/url]":20xrv8az]
never confirmed but looked like cams are L-Right and one was wrong
?

Where are you getting your information!?

FYI, the cams are marked Left and Right and were in the correct side.

Where are you getting your information!?

FYI, the cams are marked Left and Right and were in the correct side

your right hand man brought up the possibility of mixed cams, i didn't see a response 'till now

are those factory markings?

OK - the systen is being shipped to me, and I'm also getting a good set of 1200 EFI heads w/ cams and oil orifices. I'll have an extra plenum to cut/splice/dice/etc., so it should be interesting to see how it all goes together.

The 1100 ignition pulsers won't work to trigger the injectors because they're crank-driven, and it needs a cam-driven signal for side-to-side timing. The crank and cam position sensors are both used for ignition, or I can use the stock ignition, or I can get a C5 system.

I'll need to set up a digital tachometer, or I could trigger a stepper motor off the crank signal to turn the original tach...maybe... I love experimenting!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101306#p101306:1u3e5c50 said:
Steve83 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:16 pm[/url]":1u3e5c50]
Hey, Tony - good to hear from ya! :salute:

I was actually more concerned about excessive oiling of the right-hand cylinders than low oil pressure, but these Hastings piston rings seem to control it fine. The 1200's also have the oil restrictor between the head and block, so I guess the lifters don't use much, once they're pumped up.

Too bad I can't take a quick ride up to your place to check out all the progress in your shed. ;(

"Too bad I can't take a quick ride up to your place to check out all the progress in your shed. ;("

Yup, me too! I'd put you on the '83 and see what you think... Dan, next time you're in the area, I'll send you for a ride. (Maybe I could "borrow" the plates off the '82...shhhh!!) :shock: :whistling:

Progress report:

I've gathered most of the parts I need - I think! I have:

'85 1200 LTD main wiring harness and fuse/relay box.

LTD fuel injection sub-harness and ECU computer.

LTD intake system (plenum, throttle bodies, throttle linkage, injectors, intake tubes, fuel rails, secondary air system, idle air valve, and air filter & housing).

LTD fuel delivery system (fuel filter, fuel pump, pressure regulator and hoses).

LTD sensors (crank angle, cam angle, R & L intake pressure, air temp, coolant temp and throttle position).

LTD thermostst housing and water pump cover.

1200 heads, cams, valves, covers and sprockets.

A plenum from a carbureted 1200

I'm assembling the system on an empty - except for the crankshaft - 1100 case. I cut a 14mm section out of the carburetor plenum (the injection system plenum is becoming a rare part) and the the fuel crossover pipe.

I used good ol' JB weld to hold it together. It may be temporary, or it may last forever.

After being amazed that my measurements and cuts actually worked out, something else amazing happened! The longer 1100 throttle linkage fit on the narrowed side! A slight adjustment of the sync screw, and all 4 throttles are closed. The air valve, which is coolant temp and computer controlled, controls the idle speed.

The crankshaft angle sensor, using the tabs on the center wheel, sends 8 pulses per revolution to the computer, helping to control ignition timing and injector timing and duration.

There are no mounts for the pickup coil on the 1100 case. This is another challenge...

Little by little, it's coming together. Once it's all put together and wired, I'll hook a 12 volt supply to it. If I hear the injectors click when I turn the crankshaft, it works!!! Then it goes into the '83 test subject. Mmmmmm...fuel injection!!!

:builder: :laptop: :head bang: :beg: :headscratch: :laptop: :builder: :moped:

Crank angle sensor goes between the belts??? I assume you looked at how belts on the 1100 line up. I have seen pics on eBay with the eight toothed sensor in the back. I don't remember if it was efi or not. Looks like you have most of the players on the field.

Latest posts