4 inch pulley anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slabghost":38a6gean said:
fysty-1":38a6gean said:
slabghost":38a6gean said:
I'll ride whenever the roads are not icy and temps are above 40 degrees. I wear heavy clothing and leathers with waterproof winter gloves. I disconnected my radio. The Cb is removed. Next will be LED lights on the bags. I stop for coffee to warm up.
Sounds like what I used to do when I rode my Virago in Toronto in the winter. Put it puzzles me as to why you'd even post here if you have no intention to the conversion or have no advice or experience for those that do. Angela :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:
1st reason is mods such as this interest me. I am pretty good at figuring out mechanics so may have some advice. After reading several threads on this mod I may try it myself just for the dependability of an alternator. Not likely I'll ever be asked to ride in a parade or public function. I admire the engineering of this mod.

Hey that is great! And i could not agree with you more. I'm sorry if I came across like some sort of a wierd B*&^h. I am unable to do ANY kind of work on ANY of my vehicles where I live but as I have the ability ( thanks to my Dad & my love of anything automotive, this old broad) to wrench on most anything. Have had to pull a 500 SW engine out to split the case to replace a leaking gasket to stop a coolant leak & did it in one day. Angela :music2:

dan filipi":3hq8g57o said:
I think the drawing is already at Vic's site.
I'll have a look.

Is there interest in a flat belt pulley ya think?

I would say by far mor interest in a flat belt than V-Gove. To my knowledge only Bill to date is using one.

I think a felt washer is a grand idea, I for one have read many post, RoadRogue or Todd showed me his post and then I saw that Dan had posted there and I came here, I always just thought this was for 1200's :shock: I didn't know about the 1100's until just recently, here I find out Dan has been at this for some time now with his 1100..Dan someone at the NGW site mention the bolt size for the crank, please confirm the size is 12mmX1.25X60mm...Before I order one ...So I think others are ringing in here, Chas. Fytsy,Beav.and I think Slabghost's ears are perking up to the idea..Dan said he used a alternator for Fork lifts, I love his bracket idea. Solid...The pulley with the keyway cut is superior for sure.. The smart one's that are thinking of this mod. will place an order now...I won't be doing the mod. for awhile but I want to get my ducks in a roll for when I do, Dan do you have the Alternator's number's for an easy lookup...Thanks beav.

I did the mod originally to my bike about 5 years ago I guess.
It's done it's job for a few trips to AZ, several camping trips up North as well as a boatload riding in traffic and the hills around here.

I hear now 3-1/2" pulley the others are trying to convince people is better than a 4" in that the alternator runs quieter (??) (doesn't make sense to me) and there are less clearance problems.
One guy even said there are no clearance problems!
Funny the stories we here from people that don't know and obviously never did this mod on an 1100.
I first put on a 2" pulley, even then radiator had to move forward.

Running a 3- 1/2" I'm pretty damn sure the alternator won't spin fast enough at idle to keep up with the stock loads.
Mine will but it's right there on the edge so it all depends on what you want really.
The reason I even did this in the first place was because I was making a bunch of stops one day, which I do sometimes for work looking for parts, picking things up etc.
Well this one time was like 5 stops and starts, each stop 5-15 minutes ride apart.
The second to last stop it cranked real slow and barely started. Last stop I had to push start it.
I swore that was the last time that'll happen to me on level ground! This is a heavy sumbitch.

Some have said the bracket I made is overkill.
Well I can tell ya it does flex so it is not overkill.
Independent of any external supports like to the fairing vibrations are kept to the engine as it should be just like on a car.

beav, I'm going to remove the pulley to show the machinists for a quote. I'll measure the bolt then.
Don't order anything or go by what anyone else says. The only way to know the true length using this pulley is if ya have it to measure.

im not considering this but i know what dan is saying ....you have to be careful about all the crap that gets said by people who are just blabing ...personaly i have done all kinds of blastomy mods to some to make access to this area more not less ...ive realy been hit hard on some of the mods i do from the purist and the engineering crowd like its out of the relm of our lowly minds to bend hondas set up...i get quite the laughs out of it :smilie_happy:

dan filipi":1zgj36my said:
It's done it's job for a few trips to AZ, several camping trips up North as well as a boatload riding in traffic and the hills around here.

I hear now 3-1/2" pulley the others are trying to convince people is better than a 4" in that the alternator runs quieter (??) (doesn't make sense to me) and there are less clearance problems.
Funny the stories we here from people that don't know and obviously never did this mod on an 1100.

Running a 3- 1/2" I'm pretty damn sure the alternator won't spin fast enough at idle to keep up with the stock loads.
Mine will but it's right there on the edge so it all depends on what you want really.
The reason I even did this in the first place was because I was making a bunch of stops one day, which I do sometimes for work looking for parts, picking things up etc.
Well this one time was like 5 stops and starts, each stop 5-15 minutes ride apart.
The second to last stop it cranked real slow and barely started. Last stop I had to push start it.
I swore that was the last time that'll happen to me on level ground! This is a heavy sumbitch.

Independent of any external supports like to the fairing vibrations are kept to the engine as it should be just like on a car.

beav, I'm going to remove the pulley to show the machinists for a quote. I'll measure the bolt then.
Don't order anything or go by what anyone else says. The only way to know the true length using this pulley is if ya have it to measure.
Dan this seems stupid posting on Christmas day but what can I say. I don't have a life.hehehe Anyway MagAndy over @ Vic's is a machinist here in Canada & has offered to check into the cost of makeing these pullies. I sent him the pics & specs as supplied by you & I told him to change pulley leg size from .750" to.875" I also told him that we couls probably have a demand for upwards of 50 units. So between this site & Vic's we should be able to come up with that number & more. I will not be mentioning this @ Vic's until you are on board with it & I have a cost. How's dat? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

fysty-1":1qv07gi7 said:
dan filipi":1qv07gi7 said:

Dan this seems stupid posting on Christmas day but what can I say. I don't have a life.hehehe Anyway MagAndy over @ Vic's is a machinist here in Canada & has offered to check into the cost of makeing these pullies. I sent him the pics & specs as supplied by you & I told him to change pulley leg size from .750" to.875" I also told him that we couls probably have a demand for upwards of 50 units. So between this site & Vic's we should be able to come up with that number & more. I will not be mentioning this @ Vic's until you are on board with it & I have a cost. How's dat? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Sounds good Angela.

I wasn't considering this mod....but it does look interesting! I have never had to push start the bike, but I did have the same issue with multiple stops and starts draing the battery. Since I raised my idle to 1050 RPM, I hve fewer drain issues. Plus, when I get to stop lights in stop and go trafiic and I see the voltage starting to drop, I just use my throttle lock set at 2K RPM to bring up the charge.

I have a question Dan, do you notice a heat difference being the RR isn't plugged in and letting off all that heat? And just how much heat is let off the alternator.?? I'm gonna be making a lot of trips to and from SA to KC and I'm already looking at the heated gloves and vest..Extra lighting, amp for the stereo maybe, My goodness there's no end to stuff you can put on there....some of the alternators I've seen have one wire, two wires is what Todd had one to the battery fused and the other to the fuse box Acc. now there's a positive and neg. I assume it goes to pos. as the unit is grounded right? Gotta help cuss I don't wanta blow myself up...

dan filipi":161lufia said:

Oh shoot I went back and re-read it and the guy is talking about the bolthead size change not the bolt...Sorry about that, yes I would like a measurement though...Cool thanks

dan filipi":3ue48nin said:
Say Angela, I like your idea of the felt.
I'm going to pull my pulley off soon and will see how that could work out.
Glad to here that. Let us all know how it works out. I got shot down about the pulley idea over @ Vic's. I even kept your name out of it bur Don came back & said who's pulley it was & that it would be too heavy. Good news is that there seems to be quite a bit of interest @ Steve's. If you want to read what was said here is the link. ( https://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopi ... 52&t=10431 ) But even if no one else wants one, I do. :yahoo: :party:

I used to have a lot of respect for Don (Poorboy) but after reading his recommendation to cut one rib off a 4 rib belt to make it fit a 3 rib pulley I don't know what to think anymore.

We have sort of an unwritten policy here.
There are many ways to get the job done, everyone's opinions and ideas are welcome.
Mother Honda and no one else are "God" as far as a way to get the job done.

I myself have eaten my own words far too many times to close my mind to new and often better ways.

dan filipi":atootspj said:
I used to have a lot of respect for Don (Poorboy) but after reading his recommendation to cut one rib off a 4 rib belt to make it fit a 3 rib pulley I don't know what to think anymore.

We have sort of an unwritten policy here.
There are many ways to get the job done, everyone's opinions and ideas are welcome.
Mother Honda and no one else are "God" as far as a way to get the job done.

I myself have eaten my own words far too many times to close my mind to new and often better ways.

Yes Dan I know what you mean. I had left that site for almost a year but there are a lot of good people over there & I didn't think it was fair to deprive anyone any knowlege that I could offer. If you read you will see how he turned everything I said around to make me out as the bad guy(gal). :thanks: :good:

Well Dan! It appears in under a week, I have almost a dozen folk interested this pulley over @ Steve's. I haven't even gon to Dean's. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

dan filipi":2png5twn said:
That sounds good Angela!

Any word from your guy yet?

No none yet. I was going to wait until after the first to contact him again. :salute: :Egyptian:

Latest posts