4 inch pulley anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great Angela!

After we get the count then we'll find out the final cost and take pre-orders.

As far as being aluminum, the small amount isn't any kind of issue if made out of slightly heavier steel.
This is a rotational mass on a center axis which is very different than weight felt when holding the two in your hand.
We're not talking about making a flywheel, it's just a 4" diameter pulley, and this is not a race application. Take a look at your auto, bet all the pulleys are steel. Well, maybe newer cars are aluminum.
I do know know that if it were made out of aluminum more guys would want it since they've chosen to agree with the weight BS.
I don't trust aluminum, fatigues are usually catastrophic and the belt surface has to be hardened. Why? Because it's a softer metal.
There are stronger blends of aluminum but still, can't go wrong with steel.
I would have to say for these reasons it will be offered in steel only.
Anyone wants aluminum they'll have to get it done for themselves.

The pulley as drawn, Angela will fit a 1000, 1100, and 1200 crankshaft.

dan filipi":3hwuutv3 said:
That's great Angela!

After we get the count then we'll find out the final cost and take pre-orders.

As far as being aluminum, the small amount isn't any kind of issue if made out of slightly heavier steel.
This is a rotational mass on a center axis which is very different than weight felt when holding the two in your hand.
We're not talking about making a flywheel, it's just a 4" diameter pulley, and this is not a race application. Take a look at your auto, bet all the pulleys are steel. Well, maybe newer cars are aluminum.
I do know know that if it were made out of aluminum more guys would want it since they've chosen to agree with the weight BS.
I don't trust aluminum, fatigues are usually catastrophic and the belt surface has to be hardened. Why? Because it's a softer metal.
There are stronger blends of aluminum but still, can't go wrong with steel.
I would have to say for these reasons it will be offered in steel only.
Anyone wants aluminum they'll have to get it done for themselves.

The pulley as drawn, Angela will fit a 1000, 1100, and 1200 crankshaft.

Thanks Dan for the info. I read & reponded to your PM before reading here so just ignore the last request. :head bang:

chasrogers":1wn0h6rh said:
fysty-1":1wn0h6rh said:
Gentlemen, I have just heard from a friend who is a machinist with a big firm near Toronto Ont & say with an intial order of 60 we should get them @ about $35.00 each Cnd. I figure if Dan handles this then there shoul be about 15-20 buck for shipping( still super cheap). I don't know how it would work but I guess the best way would be to send Dan the $$$'s and He could ship them out. So far I have Tomahawk, tumunga, detdrbuzzard, littlebeaver, mcgovern61 <>, & myself from this forum and after posting this I am going over to my other wing forums to compile a list there. I mention to Dan that I thought these should be done in Aluminum to cut down on rolling mass. If there are any others please chime in & I will add you to the list. Thanks Angela aka fysty-1 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:
you forgot me for two Chasrogers but if they are coming from ontario near toronto then it is better for me to get them or tomahawk as we are only short distances from toronto :good: :good: :hi:

I'm sorry Chas. Did you want 2? I just figured that you had posted your desire twice. As for where they come from that will be up to Dan as he is in touch with Andy & he lives in Brampton. If Andy want to handle to Canadian faction will have to be discussed. But as thing go right no, we only have about 10 or 12 definates. But I only just posted the price etc. just the other day so it takes some time. Also as Dan has said we who want a pulley must be willing to trust him & prepay for them. I for one trust him completely. Surprisingly only one person @ Vic's has shown a positive interested. There is about 5 or 6 @ Steve's & none @ Deans & in that site there hasn't even been any replys to my post since the first of the month. :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

Hey Chas what are you doing up @ 3 in the morning? :yahoo: :whistling: :whistling: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

chasrogers":300yj2ez said:
ok but it makes no sence canadians getting them from calli when they are made right in brampton less than 1 hour from me and about 45 min for tomahawk to go get them

PM Dan & put it to him. :roll: :roll: :roll: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

OhioBill":uwc8i5s9 said:
Please add me to the list for a pulley. I came here from the NGW forum but you did not mention that you were polling them for interest.

Thanks,
OhioBill
Hi Bill & welcome to the forum. I am not a member over there(yet!) & that is why I haven't polled over there. How did you hear of this Bill. Angela aka fysty-1 :wave: :wave: :wave:

OhioBill":jyxoq7r1 said:
Actually I'm a member here as well but Cybirg had posted some info about his conversion and I checked here.
There ya be. Yer added. :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hi Dan, - Andy here, just joined up.

I have done a little research on the pulley and found that there is an automotive standard profile for the grooves and it is really close to what Angela sent me in a sketch. I have also reviewed the application and recommend against using aluminum as there is very little engagement length for the the key. Also there will be a large offset load applied by the belt tension that is going to start wearing out the soft material of the shoulder where the pulley sits against the timing pulley.

My next step is to produce an engineering drawing that incorporates the sketch, standard profile, and a correction made by Angela. Then I will shop this around to some of the smaller and hungry suppliers that I deal with at work - I expect that they will be cheaper than our in-house estimate ($35 each for 60 pulleys). They may also be able to hold that price for the small quantity that you have committments for. I'll try to get them to quote the setup charges seperately and then a per piece price.

MagnAndy

Yeah what you say about using aluminum makes sense.

Call me old fashioned but I feel making something stronger than necessary (if steel is stronger than actually necessary) is always a good thing. I see it all the time where mechanical things are made just marginally strong enough which means they wear out and have a lower life span.
I checked both my 05 Suburban and 06 Chevy van and both crank pulleys are steel.
I'm pretty sure there's a reason since I think if auto makers could get away with using lighter aluminum they would, unless aluminum costs them more which is entirely possible also.

As we discussed in post 80 & 81, your recommendation for aluminum was right on & I pm'd Andy to say that it was off the table & they would be made of steel. I also told members over @ the other site the same thing. We now hav officially 15 including me. :cheeky: :cheeky: :yahoo:

Latest posts