79 GL1000 build (on the cheap)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dan filipi":1amib3s5 said:
Congrats on your fight with diabetes, that's great to hear your doing much better!
The bike is just a material item, your health is number 1.

I can hear in your voice your disappointment in some of the work that needs to be done.
Rightly so but just keep plugging away like you have been. Your doing this bike up nice and the right way! :salute:

:thanks: :salute:

I just ordered the missing hardware for the front brakes. I should have everything to do the brakes by the end of next week.

seth if you are thimkimg of out sorcing the work this bike needs it aint worth it ...your looking at big money ...but if your willing to do the work read here enough and questions provide video and pics like you do you can probably get it going good and way with in a budget ...here we pride ourselfs on being able to keep the great bikes going without robbing the bank and the lack of parts out there ...your bike is no different than others here your bike is better than some ...that are great running wings now :mrgreen:

joedrum":1jhq39t2 said:
seth if you are thimkimg of out sorcing the work this bike needs it aint worth it ...your looking at big money ...but if your willing to do the work read here enough and questions provide video and pics like you do you can probably get it going good and way with in a budget ...here we pride ourselfs on being able to keep the great bikes going without robbing the bank and the lack of parts out there ...your bike is no different than others here your bike is better than some ...that are great running wings now :mrgreen:

The only thing I would be outsourcing would be machine work. I do 99% of my own work, I may have a local shop do the carbs (he will do them for $300). I am not worried about overall cost, it just might take me a while to get there. I only have a budget of about $20 a month unless I do some bartering.

me too its a stuggle with me i have no income to count on most of the time ....so little things stike me down too ....but i hang in there till it happens also ...it is a rather nice looking bike 78-79 are my favorite look on oldwings ...carbs can be cost free to get going ...its the ones selling the parts that push it cant be done without rebuild kits and all ...no carbs are trashed or not working from bad orings and gaskets way overpriced period ....my latest build runs like a race motor not one new part in the carbs at all ...just cleaned and flow tested and put in use

Got the front master today. I soda blasted the calipers this weekend then painted and reassembled them. I am just waiting on the spring plates for the front calipers then I can put everything back together.

Great work! Have you started it yet? I agree with the other member that suggested giving the carbs a try. Kits aren't always needed.

ShaftDrive":2prf93k0 said:
Great work! Have you started it yet? I agree with the other member that suggested giving the carbs a try. Kits aren't always needed.

Yes I have had it running, It needs carb work very badly. I just don't have much experience with carbs and I have been told by 2 local shops that this carb is a pain to work on. I was also thinking about doing a single carb conversion.

seth0941":2c8uhjqu said:
ShaftDrive":2c8uhjqu said:

Yes I have had it running, It needs carb work very badly. I just don't have much experience with carbs and I have been told by 2 local shops that this carb is a pain to work on. I was also thinking about doing a single carb conversion.

They're only a pain until you understand them. I know the GW has 4, but the CX has 2.

Here are some thinks that might encourage you to take them on.

https://cxgl.wikispaces.com/search/view/ ... cutaway+cv

OH, I got my 5th post with this one! LoL!

flash2002":38vnwyx9 said:
Seth, what was the problem with the 14mm front master why did it not work? I was thinking of changing mine but now wonder.

The factory size is 17.4mm so it did not move enough fluid. I tried and tried to get it to work but in the end I went with the original.

So after giving it much thought and talking to the local Goldwing guys I have decided to go with a single carb conversion.

I just ordered one and should have it next week.

2 reasons, 1 I am thinking of future maintenance and 1 carb is cheaper to do than 4.

and 2.. it turns out that someone has messed with my carbs before and there are actually parts missing.

good reason you sould talk to cm85 some he is the best i know of in his dedication to this issue and could really advise you some ....ive never met him but ive review his posts mant times over the yrs and he got my vote for most time in this field and most knowledgeable ...

joedrum":1u6kjzui said:
good reason you sould talk to cm85 some he is the best i know of in his dedication to this issue and could really advise you some ....ive never met him but ive review his posts mant times over the yrs and he got my vote for most time in this field and most knowledgeable ...
What I've gathered from his posts is heating the manifold is very important. So much so I wouldn't even consider a manifold that's not heated.
My brother and I studied this way back when we were trying to build a vapor carb. We had my pickup idling on pure vapor using vacuum and heated water. Vacuum vaporized the fuel but not enough.

dan filipi":2bhj5zpg said:
joedrum":2bhj5zpg said:
What I've gathered from his posts is heating the manifold is very important. So much so I wouldn't even consider a manifold that's not heated.
My brother and I studied this way back when we were trying to build a vapor carb. We had my pickup idling on pure vapor using vacuum and heated water. Vacuum vaporized the fuel but not enough.

It is a heated manifold. I will need to tap into the coolant system. Comes with directions.

So, I put the bike back together after changing the oil and changing the oil in the final drive. I actually got to ride it around the block and the brakes feel good as well as the clutch. The new intake should be here next week. On the down side I seem to have a leak in the radiator from the top. I think it is where the tank meets the fins. I will need to find a local shop to have that done.

It starts! It goes! It stops! Woo-hoo! That's great - congrats on the progress so far! Now you get to deal with all the (hopefully) minor things. You're gonna have a really sweet ride there, Seth!

So... I just did a compression test on the bike. It seems that I have a bad head gasket. I did the test without it running and with all 4 plugs out. 3 of the cylinders tested at 150 psi on the dot. the 3rd tested at 120. That plug was also cleaner and it also happens to be the same side as the white smoke.

Looks like I will be getting a crash course on doing a head gasket.

Latest posts