81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it my beleif idle jetshould be rick enough to not have starting problems ....with acellerator pump and a bit stout idle jet ..motor well start iin all conditions ...with throttle lock when cold ......pretty much how hooch is set up....bike runs great in cold weather.....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173028#p173028:28c2448p said:
joedrum » Today, 1:24 pm[/url]":28c2448p]
it my beleif idle jetshould be rick enough to not have starting problems ....with acellerator pump and a bit stout idle jet ..motor well start iin all conditions ...with throttle lock when cold ......pretty much how hooch is set up....bike runs great in cold weather.....
I have some ideas about this but I have to think on the best way to present it and still keep it simple. I've gone both lean and rich, rich it started easy cold yet hot idle suffered. Lean it started harder cold but idles good when hot. That's where I'm at with mine now.
On the dft it took a lot of twists of the grip to pump in enough raw gas to start, and more twists to keep it running at first until it would run on its own at a fast idle. I didn't like that. Joe seems to have found a good medium point.

That's where I was at. I had the accel pump disconnected and it was hard to start because the automatic choke wasnt working. I connected a manual choke and found the problem with the choke. Now I have the accel pump reconnected and going to see what I get...

If it is 34 pict 3, it is easy to set if the electric choke and accel pump are functional....If they are not-you have to know all that complicated stuff that The Guru Guys love----Goggle Sergey Single Carb, he ran the 34-3 on a 1200 and had really good luck, but he was using a working carb.
P.S. on the 34 pict 3 carb on a wing, do not be afraid to turn the volume control screw out farther than the recommended 2 1/2 turns. (small screw)

It is a 34 Pict 3. The bad thing about my carb, it appears there is too much play in the choke shaft caused by an elongated hole in the carb housing under the choke heating element.

It appears that the fuel pump has decided to quit. It also appears they are made of gold because even used ones are selling for $75. Looks like the search begins to find one.

My 84 Prelude pump's work great on ALL my 1200's!!! :yes: Price was right from Rock Auto :good:Couldn't be more pleased :yahoo:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173876#p173876:q79ozxcz said:
joedrum » Wed May 25, 2016 3:21 am[/url]":q79ozxcz]
sorry to hear about the pump failure....

I knew it wouldn't last long the first time I started the motor up. It was clacking and clattering unlike any other fuel pump I have ever heard. I'm surprise it lasted as long as it did. Now that I have the wiring and relay installed, it's just a matter of replacing with a modern equivalent.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173879#p173879:18ky0pg7 said:
Denver » Wed May 25, 2016 5:15 am[/url]":18ky0pg7]
My 84 Prelude pump's work great on ALL my 1200's!!! :yes: Price was right from Rock Auto :good:Couldn't be more pleased :yahoo:

That looks and reads like it is an exact fit for the original bolt holes. Did you do anything special to dress it up?

Made up a harness to plug into the stock wiring was about it. :yes: Write up in our forum, or gallery, at least 2,000 miles on each pump with great results. Same on the one's wired for 1100's, that were not already wired with a relay. :yahoo:

I was reading somewhere else where they used something shiny to cover up the "ugly" fuel pump. Looks easy enough to cover up...

file.php

Following the misfortunes of my 84 1200, it was quite obvious that the easiest fix to get a bike back on the road would be my 81 1200, so today was an all out blitz to get this one back to running/riding. Since I gave my Jeep to my son in Texas, I have nothing to use to get to work, so I have until the end of this week to sort it out.

The rear tire was a worn Shinko that was on the 84. Now it is a Darkside 1100 again. The fuel pump quit and rather than buying a new one or a Accord fuel pump, for now I took the fuel pump off of the 84. I had the 1200 stock carbs on it, but they were leaking bad, and they continued to leak really bad, so I am back to the 34 Pict 3.

Sounds simple, doesn't it... If it is so simple, why did all of that take me 8 1/2 hours to do it? :head bang:

When I was done, I took it for a short test ride, and it is amazing what difference a good fuel pump can do. I need to tune the carb, and that is the first step in the morning.

Latest posts