81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations for getting one at least ride able again. From all I've read here the pict3 isn't that hard to get adjusted.

I took a step backwards today and in the process I was amazed! I made some changes to the jets, changed the accel pump setting, and changed the valve cover gasket and when I started the bike, it was slow to start and ran like crap. It seemed like it was laboring and not running on all cylinders. My first thought was that I over adjusted the jets, but then I pulled the #4 plug wire. No change. I put it back on and pulled the #3 plug wire. Again - No change. I put it back on and pulled the # 1 plug wire. Same result - No change. I put it back on and pulled the # 2 plug wire and the bike shut off.

I scratched my head, beat it against the wall, :head bang: , and then decided to pull the #'s 1, 3, & 4 wires and try to start the bike. Surely it wouldn't start.... WRONG!

I have an ignition issue that I am trying to figure out now and Paul has given me a few ideas, but wouldn't you know it, in the process of removing the plug from the coil pack, a wire came out of one of the terminal connectors. In the process of removing that connector, it became too damaged to even think about trying to reuse it, so I need to find the spares that have in the garage.

When I don't need the damn things, I am practically tripping over them. Now that I need them they are no where to be found! :Awe:

Definitely a step backwards if you now have a single cylinder 250cc Goldwing to ride. :whistling:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179104#p179104:29rwqdun said:
slabghost » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:51 pm[/url]":29rwqdun]
I didn't think it was possible these would run on one cylinder. Impressive!

When I was talking to Paul toady, he said he would have lost the bet that if he had made one that a GoldWing would run on 1 cylinder. I also would have lost the bet.

well when it comes to hooch brian ...the SCC works great ..not sure what up with the spark ...but with the c5 ive got and the motorcraft weber copy i couldnt be any more happy ....hooch is ripping the pavement up with its power ...with the success of the vw solex as so recently done by 5string id say your 12oo ..1100 has all it takes to scream down the road ....the manifold you have is fine in all ways ...if anything it has bigger runners and will flow better .....5string proves to me that this carb will most likely tear up a stock carbed bike if dial in good ....

last night i did a few burst of power ....hooch is no joke and i bet your 1200-1100 will be much more powerful than the 1200 standard was ....to me you only lacked one thing ...the 1100 heads would have made even more flow ...cant wait for this to finish up :popcorn:

I was able to work on the old girl for a little bit this evening... All 4 cylinders are sparking. I have the ignition system wired directly to the battery and when I start it, the motor is only running on the #2 cylinder.

Any ideas?

Is this the motor you have the C5 on Brian ? I may be completely off base here but didn't someone find that the jam nut was to thin on the c5 wheel the other day and it had let the wheel turn and it was only running on one cylinder ? Can't remember who it was, just remember reading it a couple days ago. I'm not trying to fault the C5 either, but sometimes bugs show up down the road in the best of products and no doubt the C5 is a good product.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180005#p180005:2z1my3kt said:
brianinpa » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:45 am[/url]":2z1my3kt]
1200, C5, single carb. I missed the part about a loose nut. I got some reading to catch up on...

It was Aussiegold with his blue 75 that was feeling underpowered.. He played with carby slides etc before he found the problem.

Latest posts