86 GL1200 Refresh and Mod project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's got her bra on, .......................... and her new tenny pump shoes. Tequilla makes her take her clothes off. :shock: :Egyptian: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I am sure it has that same effect on you Mike :smilie_happy: :Egyptian: :smilie_happy:

The headlines read "Disaster strikes Wingville" this morning. Went out to do a walk around on Suzy to see if I had forgotten to tighten any of those bolts, hidden by assesories, because I was going to start putting the racks and luggage on today. I decided to crank her up and idle it thru the gears to make sure things were OK. That's when this gosh awful clanging, knocking noise started coming from the area of the output u-joint area :head bang: :head bang: . Rear wheel is spinning like it should but that noise is terrible. It didn't make any noise before I tore it down to start with a year ago. So now I get to tear the ass end out of this heifer-------- AGAIN !!!! :builder: :builder: . The only plus is I didn't put all the racks and luggage on before it showed up.

Tore this beast down all the way to here today to try to find this noise in the driveline. By the way, that's not rust you see in the picture, it's a lube I'm trying out, Fel Pro Hi-Temp C5-A.
IMG02088-20130621-1513.jpg
Nothing, can't find nothing wrong, no where. None. No slack in output shaft, u-joint looks, acts, feels like new, all splines are like new. I listened for the noise before tearing it down starting at the final drive chunk but it was coming from the engine end of the swingarm tube. There's not even any marks inside the tube. So I crank it up, go thru the gears at idle with it tore down, nothing, go thru them again at speed, nothing. The only thing I haven't looked into is inside the final drive , but it was perfect when I had it out cleaning it up and I took the side cover off checking tooth wear but I didn't take anything apart or mess with the backlash.

So, I'm at a loss :head bang: . Any suggestions? I've already got my gremlin bell around my neck so don't go there. :smilie_happy:

hmmmmm....well if its coming from the the front end final is probably ok ...no marks in tube .......output shaft has that spring cam cushion ...could that be the noise it slipping the cam ....?

:shock: Kick a man whilst he's down will ya ? One of these days Bob, one of these days. I know's where you live. :cheeky: :cheeky: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: We got to laugh about it or these old wings would drive us crazy. :mrgreen:

Just finished putting the swing arm, final drive and all associated with it back on Suzy. Never found anything wrong with any of it. I torqued everything back in sequence just like the manual says, except the manual don't tell you not to tighten the four final drive to swing arm nuts until AFTER you torque the axle nut down. I was told that it is possible for the propeller shaft to be misaligned a few thousands if not tightened in this sequence. I can't argue the point either way, but I tried that and an easier way to mount the final drive and connect the propeller shaft to the u-joint, by a friend last night. It works, now there is no noise, no vibration, I took it to 6k in OD on the lift and it was smooth and no racket. Them dang straight pipes sure did sound awesome at that rpm.

So, tomorrow it's back to where I was two days ago, mounting racks and stuff.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86108#p86108:dbn15hzx said:
dan filipi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:31 pm[/url]":dbn15hzx]Alignment,,,,,makes sense.

I think I need to do this on mine.
I hear a faint "creek" in the drive when rotating by hand.
I've never done the tightening sequence on mine either.Would taking the saddlebag and loosening the four nuts and re-tightening would do the trick of alignment :popcorn:

I think it would be best to loosen both pivot bolts on the swingarm, axle nut, axle pinch nut, the four final drive nuts and the two lower shock bolts. Then I would bounce the rear of bike up and down a few times so it can relax any stress it might have. Then torque the right pivot bolt, left pivot bolt, axle pinch bolt, axle nut, four final drive nuts, then the lower shock bolts in that order. That's what I did and it worked for me.

Busy bolting stuff back together.
On the rear I got the mufflers back on (that's a nearly impossible job with the rear wheel installed but I succeeded with a bigger hammer) bag racks, trailer hitch, trunk extension rack and backrest brackets.
IMG02089-20130624-1338.jpg
I got some two into four exhaust tips and the wrap around bumper to intall back here.

On the front I got the different fender rail on, headlight and cover, turn signal grills, lower fairing chrome.
IMG02098-20130625-1357.jpg

Burnt out for the day but..........I'm beginning to get a little bit excited. Part of me says take it off the lift and take a ride, the other part of me says nope, finish it before you do that or all you'll want to do is ride. Do I know myself or what
IMG02117-20130629-1318.jpg
IMG02119-20130629-1354.jpg