"Barn Find 1977 GL1000 loaded

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92274#p92274:cijs6yaf said:
zman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:20 pm[/url]":cijs6yaf]
Nice!..that seat wants my ars on it...If you can let me know who makes the seat. The bike looks like a keeper to me.

I have two seats like that, but it appears this one is in better shape. I'd be interested in trading that seat for one with no step up at all...similar to a CB350 seat or a vintage dirtbike, so i can move around when riding off road.

Since i wont be using many of the parts from these cycles, i will toss a classified ad here first to help my friends with affordable parts. The rear trunk is really large, but is not mounted sturdy and i'll have to fabricate a mount from scratch.

The chrome bag guards are VERY well built but the bags themselves are poorly mounted and i am sure they shake like a dog. I'll be installing military ammo cans so they are waterproof and lockable.

Hello Wing friends,
No I didn't forget about you all, just busy with life. This past few weeks I've been working on my '77.

Well i have the wiring torn off, radiator removed, body work is in the trash...and look what I found in my engine!!!
Yes, that is ice in my intakes.

Now I'm thinking overbore, head work, and make this thing roar. Suggestions?

On a good note, my sidecar body is tack welded up and ready for the mounts to be positioned.

Attachments

• rusty cyl.jpg
    rusty cyl.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3405.JPG
    IMG_3405.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 131
Heck...that ain't nuttin...Joe would have that stuff cleaned up and running in a couple of hours.... :clapping:
Hope the head, and cyl walls ain't cracked....

I gotta ask....why did you leave it open for water to fill up and ice?

Those cylinders look pretty nasty but with patience cleaning they might be ok.
I'd soak them real good with atf to soften up the flakey stuff.

Dan i just pulled the carbs off and the ice was already in there. I bought the bike from a guy who stored it outside under a tarp for 8 years.
Once I got it home it went into my storage unit but did have it "tarped" outside one brief rain.
I think the left side might be from me, but the right side (the picture of rusty cylinder) looks as if it was wet for a long time.
Since I had it on the sidestand, there is almost no way for that water to have been from me.

Anyway, i was going to bore it out and go big...until i found out nobody offers GL pistons.
Maybe we should have some made. I'm shocked that I can't order an 1100cc big bore kit for this. Bummer :(

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104778#p104778:20ev0edg said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:14 am[/url]":20ev0edg]
It might not be ice.........it could be a near solid cylinder and head preservative? :smilie_happy: (Sorry, had to do it!)

I just hope it's not FROZEN..... :smilie_happy:

Boring the cylinders is a nice idea if you can find over sized pistons. Good luck with that. Been a lot look for them over the years. No reports of any found that I've read.

No cleaning up this mess. I have a few sources for pistons so I will do my homework over the next few days. I have another engine but it's a '78 and I REALLY want this '77 on my sidecar.

Attachments

• pitting.jpg
    pitting.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 170
PM Joe. He can tell ya how to clean it up but it does take some time. I only read of one attempt to rebore and the shop messed up one cylinder.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104906#p104906:15s9m89m said:
slabghost » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:03 pm[/url]":15s9m89m]
PM Joe. He can tell ya how to clean it up but it does take some time. I only read of one attempt to rebore and the shop messed up one cylinder.

I had a local NAPA destroy a cylinder once but then I got a brand new one for free :)

I've got friends with automotive machine shops. Boring wont be too hard. I am disappointed parts are not readily available for a big bore upgrade to match the head porting we are going to do. If there was a cheap 1200 engine I'd borrow JoeDrum for a few days and make a Hooch replica.

Tell me again Joe what I need for a GL1200 swap?

On one of the KZ forums. A member found pistons of another make with same size wrist pin and same distance from piston top. The skirts needed cut shorter and material was removed to reduce weight. I got into the goldwing scene before he finished so I don't know how it worked out but it sounded workable. Maybe you can find the specs on various pistons? The 1200 swap is pretty straight forward. Joe notched the frame a little and used ignition on the head.

ok sorry it took so long to post ive been hiding in deep underground drum chamber to hibernate from the winter ...... :ahem:

paul other than the motor pistons mods to get 1000 heads and early cams to work ...theres just a couple minor frame mods and output drive switch to do paul .... :mrgreen: if you have access that's what id do the gearing will really match what you doing here ..for your end result build :builder: :music: :mrgreen: