couple 1200 mutts getting doghouse resurection - Enter Jyd

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well if conditions allow me too im going to install what i think is the best after market product for oldwings ...the c5 ignition ... the jyd bike runs well on stock ignition and the 32-32 weber ... this c5 im installing has a custom curve program into it ...so it is getting a very smooth advance curve ...that a oldwing simply never had before....will be interesting to see how this works ...cant wait to test it out :thanks:

Was the Saunders build using the 1200 swingarm? I don't recall now. Oh you should be happily surprised with it. :hihihi:

Yes it's a 1200 wing, :wave: 1500 wheel but a 1200 will work with 1500 rear end, if you drill out the 4 holes to fit bigger studs on 15 rear end, it will fit, according to thread. :builder:

The wheel change is not necessary but advantageous if your 12 wheel has a problem, a bearing issue comes to mind. Or in my case, looking to put a 1200 standard together, or if i ever need a replacement wheel, a taller wheel with double bearing's is a good choice. :salute: A few things like the washer, spacers, axil, & nut, are a plus, but brake caliper mount, & slight bit of cutting, off of it a 15 is a must. :moped:

its quite a bit of cut off on bracket ...theres more info on the swing arm switch thread ...this is just one of the mods this bike will have ... getting into c5 install and many other things in this thread

finally a good day to work on jyd ...some pics
image.php

first thing was too get gas tank in ...rear fender skirt...after that i wheeled the modified swig arm and all into position
image.php

got pivot pins started
image.php

pic from up top to check exhaust it was for 1000 bike looks ok .... :builder: :thanks:

more pics
image.php

with bike hanging from sky hook ..pivot pins in ...i used an atv left and jack wheel up to put on final side shock...this work really well and made putting whole mod complete really easy
image.php

the mill job on 1500 brake bracket is so good its going to make putting this shock on even more difficult than stock.... well as anticipated when shock dose get on there will be no sign of mod job......
image.php

well wheel on.... spins great all hooked up to motor ...sheesh looking good
image.php

look from rear ...seems the fender skirt is not in right or something shesh but all in all very pleased :builder: :thanks:

If you still have your hoist, it would be easy (and good to know) how the back tire and front tire line up. Looking at that fender makes it look like it moved over 1/2" as previously posted. It shouldn't matter, just would be good to know. I think I read somewhere that some bikes come with tires offset from the factory.

it seems to be off to the left some ...? is how was the stock 1200 off set ...i can tell you that when the 1200 swing arm final and wheel was in hooch it looked like it was off set to the left too ..i thought at the time it was more fender twist not so sure now ...i have heard that the 1200 set up was off a bit by honda ...once i got all things together and took pics i pretty much stopped for the day so i'll know more later as i'm going to look into this ...but there's no getting around the mark on the swing arm i made ...the mark was the center line of the all put together 1200 set up as it came out of hooch ...and it is obvious the 1500 set up is less than a 1/2" and really more like a 1/4" ...so today ill look into everything is set up right ...most likely i might be able to straiten honda flaw up some ...if there is one ..should have some answers later.... :thanks:

todays pics
image.php

this shows the brake caliper mounted ...shock on ...absents of modifying on brake bracket once shock is on ... need brake hose put on ...
image.php

on the centering of wheel ...i moved swing arm as far as i could towards the drive side and still get some smooth shaft travel so this is it ... ok progress i didnt go hard just trying up things from yesterdays work :builder: :thanks:

thanks guys ....hmmmm eric had to look myself ... seems that way ...the swing arm mount side is as stock as it can get ....the final side shock mount might be off a bit ......

If there is, there might be quite a load on it hitting bumps and forcing it outward. You would think that in time it would wear the bushing out. Then it could start working against the washer and nut holding it. Something to keep an eye on for a while.

that slight off set if there is any ...is way outclassed by the spiral wedge factor ...of the stud and bolt set up ...as far as bushings go that what they do ..absorb torque this slight torque is nothing...anyway if i think its a problem one smart blow from a hammer will fix the whole deal instantly ...this will be the last of my concerns ...many more things about this mod to be more concern about than this ...this pretty much rates nothing to me ... :thanks:

i will check to see if the shocks mounts of the to finals is different eric just so it known ..... :mrgreen:

Latest posts