Cruisin' on the Wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tomlind":2whyg3ci said:
Another gorgeous fall day with the wife and Sally out on a fall ride....Today, we had a mission to go and look at a VERY yellow 76 GL1000 that I have the chance to pick up for 600 bucks....Cosmetics are great, but it needs a bit of mechanical tlc..oil change, carb cleaning etc....It does start and run!. Fairly low miles too..49,700....Yellow paint on the bike is stock color, but the Vetter equipment is custom painted...Looks like a big yellow 2 wheeled banana :smilie_happy: This will be a nice base for my naked cruiser. It needs tires and the chrome is good, although a lot of elbow grease to get shiny again, but overall a good solid bike to start with...Now, what to do with the Vetter luggage? I'm keeping the fairing!
yellow2.jpg

yellow1.jpg

Where was Big Bird?................. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Really though a good deal........Congrats

mcgovern61":1wl5zazy said:
You should start a new thread on the Vetter bags! Good topic for discussion (and get this topic back on track :hihihi: )
Agreed.

How would you like to be a moderator, Gerry?

My wife and I have been taking daily short rides around our home town, just trying to get as much riding time as we can before the cold weather gets here and stays for a few months! It was 26 degrees a couple mornings ago! I AIN'T READY FOR WINTER!! :nea:

BelpreBridge.jpg

welcome.jpg

I didn't have much hope of getting out on the bike this weekend. We had out of town guests and I just didn't picture getting much of an opportunity to get out. We did get out to a swap meet this morning and as we were cruising the rows of merchandise, I did notice there was an abundance of motocross gear. That got me to thinking about watching for helmets, jackets and such for passengers. You know, extras. I found a few that were either overpriced, beat to death, or both. I was about to give up and finally found a couple helmets I latched onto.

We got home from the swap meet and I got some thick cut pork chops started on the smoker. I no more than got them started when my oldest daughter got to bugging me about taking her for a ride. I was cooking them pretty low and slow, so I figured I had time for a little cruise. We got all loaded up and went out on a little loop, maybe ten or fifteen minutes, or so. I left the bike out, promising to take her for a longer ride later. Well, after we ate, we sat around a little while and pretty soon, here she came with her helmet on.

This time, I decided to stop and put gas in the bike, which was a good thing.. We did a local ride called Greenspot. It's a ride we normally do on our bicycles, a loop of about thirty miles. That's what she was wanting, some open road where we could get up to speed and cruise. I actually got brave and put my feet up on the hiway pegs for a bit. That was pretty cool, but a little bit of a leap of faith, where I was concerned!

We got back to the house and everybody had taken off. I knew where they had gone, as there had been some talk of a sight seeing trip to Riverside. My daughter and I loaded back up on the bike and this time, did a ride out San Timoteo Canyon Road from Redlands to Beaumont. Now, San Timoteo is kind of a cool road. It's got a little bit of twistiness to it, but not so much that a newbee like me was in much danger, especially with a rider on behind for only the first day. We got the bike up to speed and were having a great time, except the sun started going down and it started getting chilly. I had planned to take other quiet roads, but decided to take the most direct route back, which meant jumping on the 10 FWY. Not a big deal except there were trucks right when we got in, so we got to play around in their wind for a little while until we could get around them and go.

That little run added another 35, or so on the bike. Not big mileage, but certainly the most I've done on my new to me wing. As I rolled the bike into the garage, my next door neighbor came over and started asking about the bike. He even asked me if it was new and was shocked when I told him how old it was.

DSC02375.JPG

DSC02378.JPG

For not thinking I would get any miles, it ended up being a pretty decent day. My daughter had fun and I had a blast, too!

Mark

dan filipi":2om7pap2 said:
That's neat your daughter wants to ride, good times.

She's always game for something like that. I'm hoping to get the wife on for at least a short ride. Not holding my breath, though.

Mark

MarkB
Nice ride bro. keep with it.
believe me those small miles add up.
we logged 3200+ last season and most were short trips.
about double from the previous season. and of course about half what we have planned for next season. :)

each snowy day brings me closer to riding season again!

Thanks, Jim!

I know my miles are going to add up as I'm riding back and forth to work. Forty miles round trip every day will put some miles on this old bird.

I'm half planning to do some sort of touring trip this summer. Not sure where, yet. I may try and make a trip back to the midwest to visit family, or just do a trip up the coast and back. I guess it will boil down to what time and money allow.

Mark

paddy.shadow":oqiq5z8y said:
That's great that you can share with your daughter! I know my 16 year old daughter loves to ride with me, and has since she was 6! She can't wait to take the MSF course (It's free in PA) and take off on my 700 Shadow

That’s great that the MSF class is free there! In California, just like with everything else, they want to make you pay through the nose. Seriously, you’d think they’d do everything they could to reduce the number of cars on the freeway, or make it safer in general.

Mark

Took my oldest daughter out for a cruise on the wing today. I didn't track how many miles we did, we just hit the road. Stopped for lunch at a popular biker destination (Tom's Farm for you that know the area) for lunch. It was a beautiful day and a real nice outing. Got to play on some quiet, winding roads.... Too cool, this is the kind of stuff you dream of.

Mark

With gas prices heading for the stratosphere....I commute the 54 miles to work on my 250 NightHawk . I have gotten 74.3 miles per gallon with it . Living in Florida does have some advantages !! When the weekend comes , I can't wait to feel the surge of power and comfort my '81 GL1100 Interstate gives me . You can't beat a Gold Wing !!!!

Latest posts