Exhaust Stud Removal

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
Hello fella's and gal's, I am cosidering replacing my studs for my exhaust, the reason is I think these are getting old and have been they a very long time....I have an idea to remove them but first like would like to know how you guys remove the stud....

Can't beat a stud remover but sometimes two nuts tightened together will grip it tightly enough to remove.

Use a spacer on the stud, and run the nut down on them...that'll pull em right out.... :shock: :smilie_happy:

One trick to help, whatever method you use, is to tap on the end of the stud with a hammer first. That will normally break them loose from the head, even if they have lock-tite on them. :builder:
The two nuts doubled up should get them out fairly easy.

Auh, these studs screw into the head don't they, they don't pull out they screw out...Don't they?

Yes they are screwed in...Now how are you guys using two nuts again to remove them...? Apple is being silly again... :smilie_happy: They are not lefthanded threads either...

Beave, run one nut up on the stud about as far as it will go. Then run a second nut on there, and tighten it up against the first nut tight...you'll need to use two wrenches to do that. Then with your wrench on the top nut, unscrew the stud. The two nuts bottomed against each other will lock the nuts to the stud. :mrgreen:

btw...my first suggestion WILL work....but it will also pull the threads out out of the head with the stud. :smilie_happy:

See now that makes a lot better sense, you guys need to be more thorough in your instructions geeez...I have two other methods to remove them, first put a nut on it and weld it to the nut then turn it out or second method, place a nut on it and smash the threads under it and turn it out like that...I like you guys method best I think thank you...I shall get me all new studs and nuts and washers ans such..ha ha

Thank you Nuts... What happens if one snaps flush at the head? :shock: it didn't but what if, do I have to drill it out? Maybe put a easy out to it?

if a little is out you can try to weld a nut on it. Other than that it's drill and easy out time. Best to use left handed drill for that. Sometimes just the drilling will back out the stud or broken bolt.

littlebeaver":7uqmu8ms said:
See now that makes a lot better sense, you guys need to be more thorough in your instructions geeez...I have two other methods to remove them, first put a nut on it and weld it to the nut then turn it out or second method, place a nut on it and smash the threads under it and turn it out like that...I like you guys method best I think thank you...I shall get me all new studs and nuts and washers ans such..ha ha
You could always use a grenade too....but that might be a bit much. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

FYI....I didn't need double nuts for my studs. I was able to use vice grips at the shaft part and they came right out. They have been heated and cooled about a billion times and the engine is aluminum.

The exhaust studs have more threads on one end than the other so make sure to screw in the shorter threaded end into the head. I think it was Mcgovern discovered this and the shorter studs are designed to tighten down to the unthreaded section into the head. If running the longer threaded end in, and you keep cranking it in it could bottom out, strip the threads, or blow thru the bottom.

I use the double nut method, they come right out but for broken stud I think welding on a nut is a good idea. Broken flush then use easy out.

Latest posts