Exhaust Stud Removal

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dan filipi":3e39ja8m said:
The exhaust studs have more threads on one end than the other so make sure to screw in the shorter threaded end into the head. I think it was Mcgovern discovered this and the shorter studs are designed to tighten down to the unthreaded section into the head. If running the longer threaded end in, and you keep cranking it in it could bottom out, strip the threads, or blow thru the bottom.

I use the double nut method, they come right out but for broken stud I think welding on a nut is a good idea. Broken flush then use easy out.
It was me....I confess.....I put the stud in upside down and punched through the head (darn that soft aluminum!) Always wondered why I couldn't get the right head to stop dripping oil from around the exhaust. When I pulled the exhaust to swap engines is when I discovered the difference in the studs! :crying:

littlebeaver":r48qlomr said:
Mac. glad to see you are ok..Tell us what happened man...[storm]
We were fine in my neck of the woods...but the shoreline is devastated...entire towns near wiped out. Staten Island NY got hit with a 20' wave (small sunami) that swept over most of the island. That is how this happened:

Attachments

• John B Caddell6.JPG
    John B Caddell6.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 76
Beave, one last tip no one mentioned. Be sure the engine is stone cold, like sat overnight cold before you attempt this. Otherwise, you could strip out the heads and have to helicoil them. :thank_you: