How to build a single carb manifold. (HOTT's build reposted)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AApple":3nhtjqrh said:
HOTT":3nhtjqrh said:
Barring a clogged passage it should idle like a rock with 55-65 jets.

Sorry....but you walked right into this one.....

"How does a rock idle?" :headscratch:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

The set-up looks super nice, and professional. I ain't got near enough cajones to even attempt a change-over like that. Much respect for anyone that does, tho! :clapping:

"How does a rock idle?" :headscratch: SOLIDLY! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Here's the setup I have in mine.
image.php

image.php

image.php

dan filipi":ya1ggefz said:
How 'bout a pic of your setup?

Here below is what I just took off my 1000. 20K trouble-free miles from -8 to over 100 degrees Farenheit. I used the Solex in the cold for the electric/automatic choke benefits. That particular Weber has a cable operated choke (snapped both throttle and clutch cables this past winter). The combination works flawlessly in all conditions with heat.
DSCF1527.JPG

I thought I should add this...
the 'How To..' Is shown using exhaust pipe you can get from your local
muffler shop. I thought it would be a fun project for the industrious.
This is a photo of how we build our turnkey set-up.
It is built with mandrel bent tubing with the correct dia. tubing.
DSC01844.JPG

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100229#p100229:1fnb7j1h said:
HOTT » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:20 am[/url]":1fnb7j1h]

That is just sick! I wish I had those skills. :(

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100229#p100229:2ggjj4vt said:
HOTT » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:20 am[/url]":2ggjj4vt]

file.php
Do you build these to sell?

How is the performance, fuel mpg?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=61062#p61062:2zkhhoi6 said:
HOTT » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:43 am[/url]":2zkhhoi6]
,,,,hows it run and hows the mpg
Fires right up. Idles at 850rpm, and has no problem doing the ton.
MPG? My '83 Ol'Sparky got 42-45mpg in the Black Hills this past week.
You can expect the same kind of mileage as a well tuned set of carbs.
I have a customer who recently completed a AR to MA round trip, and was heading home from SD.
He told me the best thing about the carb setup was, no tuning issues ever. He worries more about
wearing out tires than fiddling with carbs.
Any problems or increase in induction noise?
Everyone asks about freezing. Not with this design. There is a subtle difference
that allows riding into the 30's. (too darn cold for me. lol)
Intake noise; It can be noticeable with a full dress. Mostly under acceleration, but I haven't heard of it being objectionable.

HOTT
dan filipi":2zkhhoi6 said:
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100229#p100229:2zkhhoi6 said:
HOTT » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:20 am[/url]":2zkhhoi6]

file.php
Do you build these to sell?

How is the performance, fuel mpg?

all that carb on such a small inlet to plenum probably helps ...for to big carb to work ....people want to discount chokes in the manifold and this design has one right at the base of the carb ....and the discounters are no where to be found blabbing ...its only when discounters think some unworthy person uses chokes ...that it is a techie thing to slam them ...sheesh this is at least a 50%choke on the carb ...no way around that at all ......and if the set up is actually working ..its for sure the adapter plate ...that is the biggest reason why ....its a choke that speeds the air up enough in a to small motor for this to big carb to work and atomize gas ....in effect tricking the carb ...as ive have posted from the get go on my single set up ....funny its ok here in a store bought adapter plate ....but foolish nonsense by others that are not papered engineers ....sheesh ...this couldn't be more funny to me :smilie_happy: :ahem:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100459#p100459:da4rctoq said:
joedrum » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:26 am[/url]":da4rctoq]
this is at least a 50%choke on the carb ...no way around that at all ......and if the set up is actually working ..its for sure the adapter plate ...that is the biggest reason why ....its a choke that speeds the air up enough in a to small motor for this to big carb to work and atomize gas ....in effect tricking the carb ...as ive have posted from the get go on my single set up
i haven't had a chance yet to read up on all the info out there , is there a pix of your choke?

i'm also not clear where the 50% choke is in the adapter plate? your single carb is the 740?

What Joe is calling a 50% choke is the adapter for the two barrel mounted to the single barrel plate.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100459#p100459:1codskvh said:
joedrum » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:26 am[/url]":1codskvh]
all that carb on such a small inlet to plenum probably helps ...for to big carb to work ....people want to discount chokes in the manifold and this design has one right at the base of the carb ....and the discounters are no where to be found blabbing ...its only when discounters think some unworthy person uses chokes ...that it is a techie thing to slam them ...sheesh this is at least a 50%choke on the carb ...no way around that at all ......and if the set up is actually working ..its for sure the adapter plate ...that is the biggest reason why ....its a choke that speeds the air up enough in a to small motor for this to big carb to work and atomize gas ....in effect tricking the carb ...as ive have posted from the get go on my single set up ....funny its ok here in a store bought adapter plate ....but foolish nonsense by others that are not papered engineers ....sheesh ...this couldn't be more funny to me :smilie_happy: :ahem:
You are right joe. The adapter or 'choke' does exactly what you said. It hustles the flow at a higher and tighter rate, but is not restricting.
Tighter i.e. NOT expanding. The mixture does not have a chance to expand until the 'Y' breakout where it quickly is entering the WARM runners.
I had to learn early on to keep the 'Y' short and not to try and make long flowing tubes, as this caused freezing and hesitation.
Yes it is a monster carb, but easy to dial in if you choose. I like the 'kick in'. It also works with ICT's, 32/32 & Holleys.

not sure, Am I the foolish non papered engineer? :smilie_happy:
Ric

yes hott...at the time some were really questioning the importance of air speed and the pic of your set up really showed and put a nice look to what I was saying to others when they questioning runner size and restriction ...its interesting what you said on the y section ... seems to make sense .. with the type 4 set up and weber ... its a rather tight in space set up ...most have seen who are testing a lot that plug color is a little different from front to back ... seems adding the transition plate help to really center up the offset of the charge in the type 4 plenum and also choke it down ...for good air speed and flow for carb ...

its obvious that you got a 32-36 carb to work on your set up ... this is neat .. cause it is proof that a two big carb can be jetted and set up with right manifold and trick into to working on much smaller motor than design for ......

I had both carbs in hand 32-36 and the dft 32-34 ... witch is just bit smaller 32-36 as I liked the user friendly part of the dft ... as jets can be changed while carb is together....nice work ric

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108954#p108954:3d1w9ph1 said:
Omega Man » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:20 am[/url]":3d1w9ph1]
Would a divider placed in the center under the hole for the carb be of any use? When I drive hot rods my 56 Chevy had a divider under the carb, I think it was a dual plane intake.

Yes a divider does help but it doesn't have to be much more than just a little bit of a ridge. What would help more would be a rough thicker waffle patterned floor. This increases the area of heat transfer a lot and catches any pooling that may occur.

Would a divider placed in the center under the hole for the carb be of any use?
Thanks Omega Man, good question.

A shallow 'D' shape divider worked OK. Any thing passed halfway just loused up highway.
I hoped it would lessened the 2:1 effect at the start of the crosstube, but being honest. It was no better
than without.
this is a set-up I just completed. This is a 2bbl carb and I
DID put a divider in it, but the voice in the back of my head
sez,'it probably won't make a difference unless a throat fails'. lol
Stromberg.jpg