How to build a single carb manifold. (HOTT's build reposted)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update to answer some Weber DFT questions I've receiced,
and how to's as it pertains to this style intake manifold system

It is a direct bolt on application with no cutting and can be installed at 12-3-6-9 o'clock positions.
for proper float operation the manufacture suggests 12 or 6.
arrow.jpg

Linkage; I always try to maintain the original Honda push / pull throttle arrangement. 'It's a safety thing'. Still many will just want to use pull only. The rotation of the DFT is reverse ('DF', like DF 32/36). Simply reverse cables. Note; in this photo the black dot is the vacuum port for the choke mechanism and MUST be plugged off. A choke can be used, but is unnecessary.
throttle DFT.jpg

As with all the modern 2bbl carbs, avoid using universal fit gaskets. If your gasket fits like this...
gasket.jpg

take the time to cut your own with a tight fit (It's OK to connect large holes). Air WILL leak through bolt holes and webbing. Not good.
I know. The photos are of 32/36.
gasket ll.jpg

On to the Airbox...

When you ask the supplier, 'what can I do for an air filter on my DFT?'...
Well let's just say it won't be a short answer and it may not have anything to do WITH an air filter.
If you have to make one, here might be some ideas.

I'm using a readily available Weber 2.5 airbox. The filter will fit like so...
and give you a large airbox.
filter.jpg

I'll cut an aluminum baseplate using the chome top from Weber.
Notice the hole just forward of the intake. This is part of the airhorn casting
and will need to be drilled and later sealed. This also a good time to
add any crank case venting fittings

air base.jpg

Here's a glimpse of how it sets. GL1000 owners, you CAN retain your tool tray with the tall filter
Airbox.jpg

This set-up does not lend itself to use of the stock clips. Use some 3mm allens to anchor the top down.
The forward bolt is tapped and locknutted to keep the extended front tight & sealed.
I press some dimples in the chrome top to finish the look
Air top.jpg

And Bada-Boom you have something lika dis.
DSC03349_zps4a0ac3da.jpg

HOTT I think you ought to bring in some of your turbo project you got going on I am posting about my plans in this area too this is of huge value to the single carb interest people as this really could pack some punch and benefits to the single carb capabilities

yes this is some nice work for sure......hmmm ...hott done several builds....this one is nice ....it is also a 32-36 carb.......i think this is the same set up chillidawg bike is ...he got his from hott...

Ok... This intake looks HOTT (pun intended... LOL)! I AM going to go SCC soon, but I want to make sure I take the leap in the right direction. At this point I know I want the DFT carb--is this intake available for sale? :salute: