My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good to me. I just used cloth backed vinyl. I used 3M spray adhesive and laid it on a throw- away shower curtain, then sprayed the top of the pan and cloth side of the vinyl, let it set according to instructions, and worked it on. I waited until the top was pressed on before spraying the bottom edges and used a single edged razor blade to slit the edges and remove excess. I can see how getting the foam smooth cold be a chore!

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

I was joking about the shower curtain, I did mine in the kitchen and got spray contact glue all over the place as well as the metal cover. I might just do it again ( got loads of material left), only this time leave a one inch overlap and take off the foam I think a hot soldering could take the foam off no problem and also control how much you take off. Also I like the idea of only gluing the sides after the main part is on. :thanks: Ian

You definitely need to remove the foam backing on the edges and underside where you finish the vinyl edge. The foam strips off without using heat just a lot of perseverance, I would be worried about the iron damaging the finish on the other side of the vinyl.

Well update I have since pulled off the whole cover and need to get rid of the foam backing (biatch of a job) so burnt it off what was left on the cover, will be removing the rest later, going to try thinners first if that don't work the it's back to metal and a quick blast hopefully vapour blasting will just go down to the powder coat. If not then redo the whole lot. Aint life great when you want to make a perfect job. :hihihi:

Okay so now I have my tray back, and the only way I could get the crap of the tray was burn and scrape which also took off the powder coat, so went back to the powder coater where he has stripped it back to BM and re powdered the pan. So I am back to square one. So now I am thinking of doing the following, cutting three strips of the material, painstakingly remove the foam backing about 1/2" on the sides, where the pan has a raised lip each side down the centre if that makes sense, I will sow the three parts together and French seam the pieces together. French seams like they do on Ferrari's and expensive Leather, I would use white thread as a contrast to the black but as yet it is still just an idea and I have to get my wife's sowing machine off her to allow me to do this. Go here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7pyrqHvTfE and at about 0.45 in you can see the seams on the orange leather.

Oh and talking about my wife, Lisbet, this is going to sound real cold, but it isn't. My wife and I have been married for thirty years, our anniversary was on November the 11. We got married in South Africa in Stellenbosch, one of the Oldest Dutch settlers towns in South Africa, not only did we marry on the 11th of November but at 11:00 o'clock and in 1983 8+3 =11, and the love of my life is in hospital right now with a tumour on her spinal cord, so this project has suddenly taken on a low priority, but I need something to take my mind off the worst case scenario. Needless to say that the tumour is between the 4th and 5th vertebrae, as it is so high in her spine if it all goes pear shaped next week my wife will be come a quadriplegic in no time flat and reliant on a machine to breath for her, so it doesn't do her or me any good just sitting and thinking, so I would rather be here amongst lets say unknown friends where I can take my mind off it for a few hours. If all goes well, or otherwise you will all know in due time, but for now I need this as a massive diversion.

Sorry to hear your unfortunate news Ian. Here is hoping for the best possible outcome for Lisbet.we will all be thinking of you both :salute:

Well now, I have been reading and following a lot of to me important threads, so I am doing my resto/rebuild for me and not for restoring for money. I guess like most old dudes like me I need my third youth. She was dressed when I got her way back in about 94-95 can't remember, but she has sat in my garage in Holland for 15 years, the fairing is still there so haven't decided yet at to go naked or dressed or even part dressed.

Cafe racer like this .

I just love that isn't she just beautiful, great lines and the girl ain't bad ether.

But as it is so cold here right now, winter is on it's way and I don't have either light or heat in the lock-up garage it is a question of doing a bit, get some stuff off and get it dealt with to stop rust. So everything is right now check repair or replace.

So the carbs are really not good, and the cost of repair outweighs a new option. So the Webber has been bought from Tom so I will be going the 32 DFT route. The VW plenum is "on it's way" . I think I need to make a few pictures of what has come back so far and post them up, So I have a new headlight rings and dish will get re chromed, I had to buy a new front master cylinder and my front callipers were so dead even the Lord couldn't resurrect them, so I got another pair from Canada and they work great. So they will be PCd (powder coated),.

I know that when the Motor is out I will have some welding to do on the frame, so earlier this year I did an evening course on Classic Car restoration at my local college in the evenings. They taught us how to MIG weld, I could already stick weld or ARC weld and I can Gas weld I did that 40 years or more ago when I was an apprentice at BSA. So in my old age I have been rediscovering old skills that have been dormant for a long while. I have a "big" hobby Gas MIG welder now I need a Blast Cabinet, so will make that also, I have some pretty good amateur skills, painting have a bigish compressor and can spray with a lot of differing paints 1k, 2k custom etc. I have some air brush skills not many but they are coming.

I can polish my own metal, dunno if you saw my pics of the Motad exhaust I bought second-hand, that is now in the storage space in the roof awaiting next year. I have bought new (used) speedo and rev counter, the old water temp, volt and fuel gauges are all broken and rusted. So I got some VDO Royal Cockpit gauges as replacements, so the new rev counter has the water temp in the bottom of the gauge so now I will have across the top of the false tank a fuel gauge, Oil Pressure gauge and a Volt meter. I have new white face cards for the main clocks, so I will be parting the clocks and rebuilding the faces. When I get time. As you may have read elsewhere Lisbeth my wife has a tumour on her spinal cord between C4 and C5, on Wednesday next week she goes under and the tumour will be removed. So this will be probably the last update till that is over, my wife asked what I would do things don't work out, which of course may happen, so I told her to cheer her up " I would move the bike into the living room, chuck out one of the settees so I could work on the bike in comfort and a heated house", luckily she has known me for thirty years. but as you can imagine I need something when I am here on my own to take my mind off it, and this place is great for that.

Anyways tonight she is home and I need to be with her and show her I am not worried. So pick up this some time next week when the pressure is off.

luv you guy's. Ian

Thanks guys I am sure that all will be well, if not then I will have lost my only life partner for me, it would be hard, but l have four children and 10 grand kids that will need comforting. And one old goat, that will have no direction for a long time to come and no esteem.

Latest posts