My SCC adventure

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sides stand can be a big issue with the scc. Means the float needs to be lower still. However it isn't really affected by cornering. Float to one side or the other can also be a big issue. Should be front or back oriented.

It is front to back oriented. I'll take a pic with the top of the carb removed. It appears that the fuel level is a good inch or so from the top of the bowl when I opened it. Now, it ran a bit with the fuel off so it could have worked down a bit. Turning on the fuel while running may have cause a burst of fuel that burped out the vent. Hard telling.

Hmmmmm I'd say the cause is car related ....no way is oldwing pump to strong ....as a test I'd put hose on the tube and run it up higher so gas can't go to the top and into carb ....if it runs good with the tube on it as it did before tube overflowed as before ...then maybe there's a level where this is not going to effect your carb....we are modding here .....on my bike I was amazed at the air flow created by the motor at upper rpm that car motors can't even come close too from lack of rpm ...it seems to me having the bowl vent in the path of incoming air is not a good engineering to me ...if I'm looking at things right .....sheesh I'd put that vent outside the flow maybe .....one thing I've learn is stock stuff on things is not always the best way to do something...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=195392#p195392:283ppdcy said:
joedrum » Today, 6:24 am[/url]":283ppdcy]
Hmmmmm I'd say the cause is car related ....no way is oldwing pump to strong ....as a test I'd put hose on the tube and run it up higher so gas can't go to the top and into carb ....if it runs good with the tube on it as it did before tube overflowed as before ...then maybe there's a level where this is not going to effect your carb....we are modding here .....on my bike I was amazed at the air flow created by the motor at upper rpm that car motors can't even come close too from lack of rpm ...it seems to me having the bowl vent in the path of incoming air is not a good engineering to me ...if I'm looking at things right .....sheesh I'd put that vent outside the flow maybe .....one thing I've learn is stock stuff on things is not always the best way to do something...

I agree, on my other bikes, the vent tubes/overflows are external and drain outside the bike, not into the manifold. To me, that is a poor design but regardless, we have to work with it.

I dug out an old plastic mower tank that I never threw away. I will clean it out and try a gravity feed. I will tell you that yesterday was the first time the bike ran and idled nicely. This was while the fuel flow was shut off. It basically ran with what fuel was in the bowl. The needle assembly is one I've never seen before, it's one combined unit. It is brand new in the kit. I read that you raise and lower the float height by adding washers (thin washers) to the float. The float itself is plastic so there's not a metal tang to bend to raise and lower fuel level.

Since my mechanical pump is not original, could it be just powerful enough to push fuel past the needle in short bursts? I'm wondering if adding a filter or something in the input line to slow down the pressure could help?

Once I fix this, I think I'll have a strong running bike again!

nothing is done to the float really to adjust level. It is all done with washers aka gaskets on the float valve assembly.

It must have been a stuck float. I got her started and she seems to want to run smooth. The only issues I have now is heavy whiteish smoke out the left side which is probably fuel pooled in the left header burning off and some oil from sitting on the side stand for a while. I smoked out my garage. The other issue is no matter how I adjust the mixture screw and bypas screw, I cannot get it to idle under 3k.

Any tricks to get this dialed in??

cmyoch":31fp3o1z said:
It must have been a stuck float. I got her started and she seems to want to run smooth. The only issues I have now is heavy whiteish smoke out the left side which is probably fuel pooled in the left header burning off and some oil from sitting on the side stand for a while. I smoked out my garage. The other issue is no matter how I adjust the mixture screw and bypas screw, I cannot get it to idle under 3k.

Any tricks to get this dialed in??

Welcome to my world. This is exactly how mine reacted. Smoke and all. I tried running the jets brianinpa runs and it got A LOT better but still isn't perfect. Every engine is different. I'm still playing with it, but debt and aggravation has made me want to sell everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't stay lost Steve, find your way back and enjoy your Goldwing. :yes: :moped: :good:

That is a relatively easy fix. Generally these clutches last near forever. Just remove the plates and clean them and reinstall. Many here are happy to help you through whatever issue you have. You've done so much already it'd be a shame to quit now.

Look guys sometimes you have to really go after things in a non traditional way to figure out what's up ..... I havn t worked with the ve carbs much ...but I did dial one in one time long ago ...and don't remember much about it ....except I played with the choke plate ..to see if it was rich or lean as it was ...then adjusted things .... Although oldwings are small in displacement they create huge flow ...and flow travel is short compared to vw motors.....seems when something is to rich ..it means flow is strong not weak ....if information fixed things ...there wouldn't be much problems ...it doesn't so it's up to you guys to get right ...and there is no one path way of doing it ...SCC has always been flooded with the fools tech info ...classic has worked hard to rid itself of these know it all fools ...I'm pushing for you guys to figure things out on your bikes ...it will work and has worked ...

The path to my success with 3 basket case bikes has definitely not been easy. Given the choice to do it again? I'd do it. I've learned so much though the process. 10 years ago if anyone would have told me that I would resurrect a 78 Yamaha XS650, an 84 Sportster, and a 76 Goldwing back from the dead, I'd tell them they are completely nuts. Not to mention the satisfaction of pumping gas in one and someone walks up and wants to talk about it. I rebuilt it, not bought it the way it sits. I can tell you every detail and every little nuance about each bike.

Bringing you up to speed on where I'm at as of today with my SCC. My last post I was hanging at 3k rpm. I sat there and stared at the bike for a while and realized that the fix was simple, I had my throttle cable adjusted out too far. After adjusting it in and studying the throttle shaft, I now see how I'll set the idle properly. I didn't get much time with the bike yesterday but it does start up nicely with the choke on. When the choke releases, the bike dies but I believe that's because I have the idle now set too low. I'll fiddle with it to get it to idle so I can start the fine tuning process and hopefully take a test ride.

I'm not very confident with the throttle cable attachment. I cut the barb off the end of my cable and fished it through the new barb that has a set screw. I can see over time the cable working its way out of that piece. I found a cable extender on the internet that is made for the Solex that I think I'm going to buy to give me better piece of mind.

cmyoch":1ep4ktcc said:
The path to my success with 3 basket case bikes has definitely not been easy. Given the choice to do it again? I'd do it. I've learned so much though the process. 10 years ago if anyone would have told me that I would resurrect a 78 Yamaha XS650, an 84 Sportster, and a 76 Goldwing back from the dead, I'd tell them they are completely nuts. Not to mention the satisfaction of pumping gas in one and someone walks up and wants to talk about it. I rebuilt it, not bought it the way it sits. I can tell you every detail and every little nuance about each bike.

Bringing you up to speed on where I'm at as of today with my SCC. My last post I was hanging at 3k rpm. I sat there and stared at the bike for a while and realized that the fix was simple, I had my throttle cable adjusted out too far. After adjusting it in and studying the throttle shaft, I now see how I'll set the idle properly. I didn't get much time with the bike yesterday but it does start up nicely with the choke on. When the choke releases, the bike dies but I believe that's because I have the idle now set too low. I'll fiddle with it to get it to idle so I can start the fine tuning process and hopefully take a test ride.

I'm not very confident with the throttle cable attachment. I cut the barb off the end of my cable and fished it through the new barb that has a set screw. I can see over time the cable working its way out of that piece. I found a cable extender on the internet that is made for the Solex that I think I'm going to buy to give me better piece of mind.

Yes, it's a bit of a tight fit and not on a great angle. I bent mine a bit and it's actually working fairly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fiddled with it for about an hour. It no longer smokes but it only runs on choke. I'll need to research it some more.

I'm thinking I need to increase my main jet. It is currently a 127.5. What main jets are you guys running??

Latest posts