OEM fan switch fix (and other options)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
littlebeaver":1tomdh4j said:
BigDub":1tomdh4j said:
littlebeaver":1tomdh4j said:
Yeh, the carb cleaner just loosen the stuff under the cap or end senser probe thingy, if that shaft has gunk built up under there the cap can't move..Stuck, you will make it work.. and if not there are other opinions...

"other opionions..." I love your use of the phrase! :hihihi:
sorry options...not opinions...duhhh I didn't prove read it sorry,

ok...ok... i got it. i was thinking in a more sarcastic manner. i'll get my head outta the garbage. that would make for nice smack-talk though if someone questions (irrationally so) a proven method..... = ]

You're funny... :hihihi: I have had no problem with my geo metro fan switch, hey I was looking on line at the Auto Zone site and there are two for the metro, the first one is the brown engine and the second one is for the gray engine, I was gonna buy them both to see what temps they were as I know they are different temps .. Has anyone got one from autozone.?. The very first one I ever got was from advance auto, it kicked on too soon, the fan would come on before it hit the halfway mark..the fan would run all the time, I didn't want that, The second one was the charm I got it from O-riley's auto parts store for the 94 geo metro xfi engine...perfection...hasn't failed yet..kicks fan on at about 5/8 up the temp gauge..perfect.. cycles on and off for about a minute's time..I still might buy both those switches from auto zone just to be able to tell guys which one to get there.. By the way for those that are curious about the thread size on these, there 18mm..not 16mm

joedrum":3mjy55xo said:
gee strying t think of somhing sarcaskic to say but couldnt think of anything imst be feeing somwhat better but my sarcasim still need to recover :mrgreen:
Hey Joe we all care about you...I hope you know that... :Egyptian:

littlebeaver":1l1tmqxq said:
Put the switch on the bike and try it, I bet your fan will come on...You do have 50/50 in your radiator right, if you don't then you should..

I put the switch backintot he bike for now. I will definately put a new one in if I plug the harness back into it and it doesn't turn on. I figure I will have the switch done in Sept when I do the water pump as well. I noticed an interesting thing after I installed the switch. Water bubbled out of the filler surrounding the plugs on the switch once the engine heated up. It actually bubble out on the parimeter between the body of the switch and the filler. At first, I thought coolant was leaking out but it was simply water. I had boiled the switch in water before trying the antifreeze which is 50/50. I will try plugging the harness into the switch probably on Friday to see if it is working on the bike. If not, the switch is yours when I replace it if you still want it.

Thanks,

littlebeaver":2nan0n69 said:
You're funny... :hihihi: I have had no problem with my geo metro fan switch, hey I was looking on line at the Auto Zone site and there are two for the metro, the first one is the brown engine and the second one is for the gray engine, I was gonna buy them both to see what temps they were as I know they are different temps .. Has anyone got one from autozone.?. The very first one I ever got was from advance auto, it kicked on too soon, the fan would come on before it hit the halfway mark..the fan would run all the time, I didn't want that, The second one was the charm I got it from O-riley's auto parts store for the 94 geo metro xfi engine...perfection...hasn't failed yet..kicks fan on at about 5/8 up the temp gauge..perfect.. cycles on and off for about a minute's time..I still might buy both those switches from auto zone just to be able to tell guys which one to get there.. By the way for those that are curious about the thread size on these, there 18mm..not 16mm

I ordered a fan switch from a '94 Geo Metro through Parts Source and they want $31 for it. I read that somepeople have had it only function intermitantly causing the engine to over heat. I want to put the proper switch in except for its cost $83. Do you recomend the Geo switch and does it work like it should?

Thanks,

If the fan doesn't kick on by the time the gauge reads 3/4 the way up, then it's probably not going to work, don't let the engine overheat or get in the red..sounds to me like you should just buy yourself a brand new oem switch and be done with it..

FAILURE WRENCHED FROM THE JAWS OF DEFEAT! put it like this... I can't fix mine yet.

my GL1100 switch rebuilding outfit has gone belly-up. I'm out of switches tousr as guinneas. =I must have misread something. Perhaps...this tutorial is for gl1000's temp switches?

:smilie_happy:

That make's me sad.. I have a switch right now that won't activate until I have it in 50/50 mix, water alone won't work with this switch, I tried it, boiled it a good while, the needle gets half way up at most, I put in the 50/50 and in a few minutes that sucker went wide open, some of these switches kick on at like 215 degrees or 216 is what I'm saying..Saying that now, I have had many kick on with just water alone.. 208 to 216 is the range..

Listen up guys, I just got off the Auto Zone site and now I know why some of these fan switches are different, there are two different temp. ranges for the same engine, two different switches is what I'm saying here, first is the #MT1373 and the temp is 216 degrees, the second geo switch is the #MT0537 and it's at 212 degrees... I have the one thats made by BWD from o-rileys and I know it's gotta be 216 degrees, I really have to wonder how many guy's don't have a clue about this and get the wrong temp switch like I did the first time around..If anyone wants to see these switches just go to Auto zones site and it's the 1994 Geo Metro 1.3 FI..Navy Marine I hope you ordered the correct one..They state the degrees next to the switch, didn't do that a while back https://www.autozone.com/autozone/ this is information they guys really need to know if they are going this route..

NavyMarine1978":1vqlxhly said:
littlebeaver":1vqlxhly said:

I ordered a fan switch from a '94 Geo Metro through Parts Source and they want $31 for it. I read that somepeople have had it only function intermitantly causing the engine to over heat. I want to put the proper switch in except for its cost $83. Do you recomend the Geo switch and does it work like it should?

Thanks,
their connection is probably not a good one..or wrong switch...Something is wrong...That switch I referred to with the 212 degree range would run the fan constantly, Not good..So I got the other 216 degree one..

The switch that I ordered from Parts Source only had the one option so I did not ask for the heat range. I will definately check it out before installing. I do not mind installing an aftermarket switch as long as it functions and does its job. I would hate to over-heat the bike and damage the engine. I installed a toggle switch and it works every time. The only down fall is the constant watching of the temp and how long the fan runs for.

littlebeaver":3lvl1nu3 said:
NavyMarine1978":3lvl1nu3 said:
littlebeaver":3lvl1nu3 said:

Thanks,
their connection is probably not a good one..or wrong switch...Something is wrong...That switch I referred to with the 212 degree range would run the fan constantly, Not good..So I got the other 216 degree one..

littlebeaver":qmwqw2va said:
Listen up guys, I just got off the Auto Zone site and now I know why some of these fan switches are different, there are two different temp. ranges for the same engine, two different switches is what I'm saying here, first is the #MT1373 and the temp is 216 degrees, the second geo switch is the #MT0537 and it's at 212 degrees... I have the one thats made by BWD from o-rileys and I know it's gotta be 216 degrees, I really have to wonder how many guy's don't have a clue about this and get the wrong temp switch like I did the first time around..If anyone wants to see these switches just go to Auto zones site and it's the 1994 Geo Metro 1.3 FI..Navy Marine I hope you ordered the correct one..They state the degrees next to the switch, didn't do that a while back https://www.autozone.com/autozone/ this is information they guys really need to know if they are going this route..

I will definately check the temprange before installing the switch. I know that the toggle switch that I currently have works 100% of the time but it requires my constant attention to turn on and shut off. Iwould rather not have to worry about this.

Thanks again,

After reinstalling the old, non-functioning fan switch, it heated up on the bike and bubbled out water which I assume was from boiling it in a pot of water on the stove. It was pure water and no antifreeze. It bubbled out between the brass body and the enamel filler around the pins. Is there a chance that this switch may still work on the bike? The switch was boiled on the stove after cleaning it in first water and then coolant and the switch never seemed to get hot enough to close the contacts. The resistance reading lowered subtantially by not enough on the stove. If the switch ended up with water in it, would that have caused this? Either way, it bubble out on the bike. Would any try the switch on the harness in this condition?

Thanks,

54Greybeard":2vwzr1hy said:
This thread alone makes this sight worthwhile. Saving the cost of the switch is great
Thanks, the testing video is awesome, I really like that, people stepping in to show how they do stuff is fantastic, it means that guys are listening and watching and learning from others mistakes, I have made enough of them you can believe that and I will make many more in the future I'm sure, that's how we learn, posting a mistake I have made is designed to prevent the next guy not to make it and hopeful saving him heartache or frustration..

NavyMarine1978":2kz9hjid said:
After reinstalling the old, non-functioning fan switch, it heated up on the bike and bubbled out water which I assume was from boiling it in a pot of water on the stove. It was pure water and no antifreeze. It bubbled out between the brass body and the enamel filler around the pins. Is there a chance that this switch may still work on the bike? The switch was boiled on the stove after cleaning it in first water and then coolant and the switch never seemed to get hot enough to close the contacts. The resistance reading lowered subtantially by not enough on the stove. If the switch ended up with water in it, would that have caused this? Either way, it bubble out on the bike. Would any try the switch on the harness in this condition?

Thanks,
That switch is no good if it's leaking out from the expoxy, gotta replace it..sorry, first one I ever heard of doing that..Wow

What's leaking out of it, water or wax? Could it be like he said, residual water from testing it in the pan on the stove? Either way, screw it in and see if it works, if not, the only thing lost is the time to screw it in and test it.

Latest posts