spark fuel ? Update 11-30 yanking the carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest pulling plug wires on both sides, then testing. If one side is grounded, the other side won't fire. You would be chasing a problem on the wrong side.

now that makes sense to try ..i was wondering if the 1500 had wasted spark system and how it worked ..as said if it was me id have all plugs out so motor spins easy with starter and ground one plug on supposed bad side spin and check for spark ...if still no spark plug on other side of that pair of cylinders and check for spark ..if spark theres got to be a reason somewhere we dont know why or what it could be ...you could see where a pair mifgt fail left and right ..but side to side doesnt make sense really ....ok O man figure it out

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206747#p206747:q44t1iyv said:
Ansimp » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:29 am[/url]":q44t1iyv]
Aren’t there 2 carbs on the GL1500 each one feeding one side of the engine? Fuel is the only thing that can stop one side in my opinion.

Hmm. Our Aussie friend may be onto something here. Although it seems that, normally, the 1500 carbs are infinitely more reliable than the early Keihlins, schidt does happen...

Since I'm still waiting for breakfast...

The old plugs looked okay, perfect actually.

image.php

~O~

well if the problem didnt start right after you put the clutch line in ..id say that not the problem ...the putting in of the line ..yes those plugs look perfect

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206747#p206747:1gnceay9 said:
Ansimp » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:29 am[/url]":1gnceay9]
Aren’t there 2 carbs on the GL1500 each one feeding one side of the engine? Fuel is the only thing that can stop one side in my opinion.

That does make sense. Seems like the only way an iggy problem would cause it would be if the three right side wires were disconnected.... :headscratch: Assuming of course that it is ONLY the three cylinders on that side not getting fire.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206763#p206763:3u5bfkff said:
Omega Man » Today, 9:44 am[/url]":3u5bfkff]
Since I'm still waiting for breakfast...

The old plugs looked okay, perfect actually.

image.php

~O~

Plug on the right with a white porcelain tip does not seem to be firing, or if it is is not the same as the rest. All the other pugs are a light brown. Just an observation. Which cylinder is this plug from.

Reading your first post again, the problem sounds more fuel related.
You said gas tank level got lower than normal...hmm.
That happened to me once on a drive to Florida in my van. Enough gunk got sucked up to almost completely plug the fuel filter. I was stranded and blew backward on the filter to clear it.
Anyway, thought it worth mentioning might want to check fuel flow also.

If it was no spark all the non firing plugs would be wet with fuel. :yes:
I don’t know how to do it on Crystal but I use “start ya bastard” to check for a fuel issue, On Val I could tap into a manifold vac line and send in the ether.

Did you put in fresh gas yet? If so, did the trouble start before or AFTER you filled up. Could be the difference between trash in the carb(s) or bad gas...

And I gotta get me some of that "Start Ya Bastard" stuff. Sadly, it's not available in the states. Truth is, I utter those words every time I have starting difficulties, so everything I use could be called that.

Funny as heck.

New info.

New filter, no change. I DO have spark in #1 left index finger is still tingling. As I pulled the boots on #s 3 and 5 I could hear the "tic" of the arc so I know they are firing too. Does this mean the coils are okay :beg:

Tomorrow I'll check the left side #s 2,4 and 6.

~O~

I'm going to yank that airbox off, something wrong with one of those carbs. I've read enough posts in other more 1500 specific forums to know vacuum lines break and collapse as stated by pidjones. LOL, I don't care if it "looks like a Honda Civic" under there anymore.

I'm so over being intimidated by this bike, schools in session Crystal. :whip:

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206784#p206784:l1os9j1u said:
Ansimp » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:35 pm[/url]":l1os9j1u]
Just not on a Tuesday night? Randy! :smilie_happy:

LOL, I'm off on weekends now. :mischief:

So today I'm going to check the spark on left side, which I doubt is the problem and just move on to removing the air box and seeing just WTFudge is going on under there. :cool:

~O~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts