Test Engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
If you have been following the knocking thread (viewtopic.php?p=19949#p19949) I have found many answers to what I believe has been causing the knocking/rapping sound in my '81 1100 engine. This engine is out of service at the momment on the garage floor (what I wouldn't do for a work bench and table!). My running bike now has a really good '83 engine that runs like a champ. The question is, what to do with the '81 engine?? I no longer have a rolling frame (came from a wreck and was bent), no spare carb rack or exhaust. I have the heads off, back cover off to check the scavenger pump (waiting on a tool) and various parts disconnected and in pieces on the floor.

This is a high mileage engine that has compression in the 160's. The cam shaft front seals are leaking and it appears the cams are worn, the valve springs need replacement and the valves are in need of work. I have not split the case because at this point I see no reason to do so. (Besides, its $150 in gaskets to put it back together). I would like to test all of the theories on the valve float and carb intake leaks to see if in fact the knock can be eliminated. But how far do you go with an engine and no bike to put it in? Money is always an issue and I need to spend some on the runner for new battery, caliper rebuilds and such. Space in the garage is also at a premium (I have to sit on the foot pegs of the bike to work on the garage floor as it is! :smilie_happy: )

What would you do???

Cut up some old bed rails to make a motor mount on a low skid and fab up a single carb intake. Minimal wiring on a panel and a spare battery and you'll have a working motor to experiment with. 4" casters on the motor mount will make it relatively easy to move out of the way. :mrgreen:

you have the perfect motor for checking everything out ...its not like its needed or of great value that we no of ......it could be mounted in such a way to even run it maybe after trueing up the cams and getting to heads right ....you could shim the old springs to bring them up without spending money .....you could make a single carb intake seeing you dont have carbs no better reason than that.....if you have the old radayor you can mounit far enough away to work and mess with the motor and have a gas setup too ....im diffinitly doing this ....im going to have a supper wing shop setup .....to feed my rides.....you could realy flush that motor out now to see what enviorment its been running in .....i personaly think your bike is just pluged up at the scavenger pump and may be all right in the lowere end after its cleared .....its possible and of corse this would lead to a lot of oil starvation to the heads .....who knows till you go after it ....just dont spend much money on it till you know what you have...... :mrgreen:

mcgovern61":360b74eh said:
If you have been following the knocking thread (viewtopic.php?p=19949#p19949) I have found many answers to what I believe has been causing the knocking/rapping sound in my '81 1100 engine. This engine is out of service at the momment on the garage floor (what I wouldn't do for a work bench and table!). My running bike now has a really good '83 engine that runs like a champ. The question is, what to do with the '81 engine?? I no longer have a rolling frame (came from a wreck and was bent), no spare carb rack or exhaust. I have the heads off, back cover off to check the scavenger pump (waiting on a tool) and various parts disconnected and in pieces on the floor.

This is a high mileage engine that has compression in the 160's. The cam shaft front seals are leaking and it appears the cams are worn, the valve springs need replacement and the valves are in need of work. I have not split the case because at this point I see no reason to do so. (Besides, its $150 in gaskets to put it back together). I would like to test all of the theories on the valve float and carb intake leaks to see if in fact the knock can be eliminated. But how far do you go with an engine and no bike to put it in? Money is always an issue and I need to spend some on the runner for new battery, caliper rebuilds and such. Space in the garage is also at a premium (I have to sit on the foot pegs of the bike to work on the garage floor as it is! :smilie_happy: )

What would you do???
Id's save it, please ignore what I just wrote on your other post, I thought the 81 was in..

I know what it's like to not have much room left.

It's a hard decision to make but we really need to put some ideas to rest and your test engine would be a perfect
one for the job.

Harbor Freight has furniture dolly's cheap. Bolt it to that.
There are other things you'll need but I'm sure we as a group can scrounge it all up.

dan filipi":2muvwgfh said:
It's a hard decision to make but we really need to put some ideas to rest and your test engine would be a perfect one for the job.

I agree we have to put these ideas to the test. If you remember the oil pressure drop video, I was able to create the knocking/rapping without riding.

Harbor Freight has furniture dolly's cheap. Bolt it to that.
I have it on a furniture dolly now! (Left over from my truck driving days as a mover for North American Van Lines)

mcgovern61":pkda4xhj said:
(I have to sit on the foot pegs of the bike to work on the garage floor as it is! :smilie_happy: )

OUCH!! :eek: That's gonna leave a mark! :smilie_happy:

I think you could prolly rig up a portable/store-able test mount fairly cheaply. As long as it's tall enough to work on the engine without having to sit on the foot pegs! A battery, and a few wires, a fuel tank of some sort, and yer good to go. I remember seeing someone post a video of someone's 'Wing engine running on the floor! A little brainstorming by the gurus here will have you up and running in no time. :builder: :builder: :builder:

AApple":3e8ssel1 said:
OUCH!! :eek: That's gonna leave a mark! :smilie_happy:

I think you could prolly rig up a portable/store-able test mount fairly cheaply. As long as it's tall enough to work on the engine without having to sit on the foot pegs! A battery, and a few wires, a fuel tank of some sort, and yer good to go. I remember seeing someone post a video of someone's 'Wing engine running on the floor!

Here is that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJZuA_B ... re=related
(Can't seem to get the YouTube thingy to work)

But he has lots of garage space. :crying: (And an overhead chainfall)

Here is what I got:

Work Space.JPG

You are lucky. This is what I have got. :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: :cheeky: :cheeky:

Attachments

• Captured 2006-12-1 00002.JPG
    Captured 2006-12-1 00002.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 196
slabghost":ircnpm2y said:
Wow! Your garage looks almost as full as mine!

Yeah...add a car, a workbench, tool box, and washer/dryer in there, and you got MY garage! :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :builder:
I'd say get rid of that big ol vacuum cleaner, and you'll have plenty of room!!!

That IS a pretty crowded area, fer sher... :builder:

Fortunately for me I've an understanding wife. Bike parts here have overflowed into our dining room too.

My definition- wife - One who tolerates me as I am. Who supports me even if I'm wrong, Returns the love I give with interest. Cares for my home and pets when I cannot. Enjoys riding motorcycles as much as I do. SHEis both my helpmate and soulmate as well as my best friend.

As defined by society today- Significant other with whom you share all in hopes that she will stay. Fat chance.

Websters- A married woman ( and some other gibberish)

I had three that fit the second two definitions. They were the three toads I had to go through to get the princess.