The hooch bike SCC review and redo project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well today I checked the plugs on the bike ….they are very good color of brown ...so im very close to dialed in on the carb if feels so when I ride it also very good power ...I rode it last night and everything time it got like it was running out of gas ...I could twist the throttle a couple times under no load with clutch in and it be right back to running fine …..so im rather sure there a feed pressure problem going on that got worse when I raised the compression on the motor ….ive tried three different mechanical fuel pumps so I know its not a bad pump ….ive got to get a electric fuel pump … I think then hooch will be totally back to all out power from 0 to 8000 rpm ….maybe more power than ever as it using more gas with the compression change ….20$ fuel pump free shipping and im struggling to come up with it LOL :builder:

Ok been working a lot on the hooch bike ...backing up to the start of the mods made ...made a new idle jet sleeve ....wow did that work out nice ...got a great idle now .....also got a electric fuel pump from a stock 1200 working an put on the bike ...well my first impression so far is ..it doesn’t put out as much fuel as the machanical pumps do ....so it’s really struggling on keeping gas in the carb ....it doesn’t work faster with rpm like the machanical does so it’s weaker at getting rpm at all ....and the motor will surge with the beat of the fuel pump ....

I’ve taken a few videos so far but havnt been able to load them yet ...trying to get up to par with vids and pics .... :beer: :builder:

Ok after just t bit of work on the carb and some run time this morning I’m starting to think it’s not the fuel pump ...I’m thinking now the problem is where the jet wells get there gas feed from ...this is the one thing on this carb that is still not throughly known by me ..it’s fixing to be though cause I’m going to ckeck there for some kind of blockage and feed problem I’ll be taking pics also to post ... yes tony your right ..I’m just thinking I’ll go after jet wells and see if that might increase the volume so the bike will run like it did before :builder:

I had found the 2-3 lbs pressure from both the mechanical and 1200 electric pump wasn't enough pressure to activate the float needle as it needs to maintain a steady fuel level in the bowl. Increasing pressure with a pump that provides 5-9 lbs pressure took care of that. This is on the Solex with it's inverted seat. I never checked that on either of the Weber carbs, but it stands to reason since a pressure higher than 2-3 lbs is recommended for these carbs, then the needle and float are likely designed around a higher pressure. I think design is 5-9 lbs but I'd have to look that up.

Well I went through the carb today gas mention to look into the well feed....it’s known completely by me now ....the feed to the jet tubes well feed is right at tube level in the dft carb ....I was able to file down a zip tie skinny enough to fit the hole ...witch is a 90 degree turn in the bottom of the bowl where the float rides on one side ..feeds there only not on other side at all that I could tell ..anyway got all that fed through to the end on other side ..all seemed clear ...also went after the idle circuit feed and could clean most of everything but about a two inch path that goes around the primary barrel from the jet well feed ....

Well after all that work cleaning everything but that one spot ..I put the carb back on and tried it again .....Well same result still acting the same ...so now I’m thinking back to the fuel pump ....might be that the 1200 fuel pump as dan was saying just isn’t raising the foat level to the top as it should go ...and stops pumping short of that ...making it low level in the bowl...as mention in earlier post the electric fuel pump act totally different than the machanical pump that follows rpm of motor making it rev better it seems than the electric pump ....so I’m going to order the pump now in a 5-9 pressure zone ...just can’t seem to think of anything else on carb to look at .... :builder:

A higher pressure pump is good, but have to agree with Tony as well about the volume. When I mentioned a fuel pump with a higher pressure and put out the max, I meant for it to say volume. Have this issue with the FI models as well, need pressure but volume as well.

What are the specs for the carb you are using? Can you find out the volume requirement?

I took no pics but did a mod to the dft carb ...one of the last things I’ve not messed with yet on dft carb I have is there is a air bleed into the primary barrel on my carb ..right at the fuel shut off valve that carbs come with ....it’s right in the gas feed idle circuit path ..I never done anything to this thinking it was a vital thing it had to have to operate right ...but I notice some time ago ...that gas will leak from here into the cylinders and empty about 1/2 of the bowl gas ...well today I decided tp plug this and did so .....the result seem to not effect anything so far and bike ran well ....and it cured the leak down problem ...

The test ride went really well ..if I ever get the gas to this carb this bike going to haul ass big time ...

Sheesh no fuel pump delivery yet ....just can’t seem to come up with a reason in the carb ...for it to act the way it does .....sure hope the fuel pump is the problem ....maybe tomorrow it will come
...I hope so

Well got the pump in ...this so far is proving not the problem ...now things go in a completely different direction ....looking at c5 now ....need to change the advance curve maybe ....went with a lower float level this seemed to make it worst ....my lowest curve on the c5 is stock advance curve ...going to try and change that now ...sheesh I wish I could remember all this crap ..need to find the c5 info on changing the curve

C5 advance curve change here
image.php

I’d check also that the timing at tdc on 1 is correct.

Yah i found out it’s not the c5 curve ......and not the fuel pump ......when I change the float level low it won’t hardly run ...when I set it high it runs better ..but not right ...at the moment I have it it too high and it not shutting off ...so I’ll start fresh in the morning

Well I made a new float bowl gasket for the bike ...took pics and stuff but can’t seem to load them on the thread from my pad ....went for several test rides ....bike is really strong on casual throttling going through the gears ...right up to 90 mph ..like most bikes get to 60mph ..it is so nice when great power comes from such little effort by the motor or carb ....so I’m so impressed with what’s capable out of this set up ....going to buy new spark plugs tomorrow and see what tha does ...

Latest posts