the Hunley, or pidjones needed a project - '78 frame with '75 engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite pleased with my frame color:
DSC07112.JPG

4:1 Jet Black to Champagne Gold Metallic Duplicolor Paint Shop lacquer over etching, sealing, and sandable primer. The sun catches the flakes in the gold nicely. Hope it looks even better after clear coating (may be a week or two before I can do that, though - another nice thing about lacquer - over-paint any time!

I shot it on with a Harbor Freight 4 oz. Detail Sprayer. Used 45 psi reduced from 90 psi line at the gun with a moisture separator after the gun regulator. Cleanup was easy with Acetone shot through the gun after rinsing the bowl. You really have to strain this paint, as there are lots of solid "things" in the bottom of the can. I used the Duplicolor disposable strainer in a small funnel for loading the gun. There are a good two coats from top and bottom on it so far, and I have yet to use 1/2 the paint! I set the gun for a small spot pattern with the fan control closed (no air from the outside nozzles) and the paint flow near wide open. This, with the 45 psi air allowed me to adjust the air for best atomization. I could shoot from as close as 3" to as far as ~ 18" and get good wetting and no runs, but of course with something as complex as a frame you will get orange peal from over-spray of one part to the next. Still, I am very pleased for this to be my first real job with a real spray gun.

Otto should get the removable frame section welded up this weekend or early this week, and I will then finish priming it and but the same frame paint on it. Moving along!

That's enough clearcoat on the frame. Four coats. When the sun catches the metal in the gold, it glints real nice. JB weld on the removable frame piece to smooth it up after Otto welded it for me (thanks!) and a little smoothing on that tomorrow, then primer on that section. I'm thinking that in about a week I'll hang the frame from the ceiling of the garage and let the lacquer cure over the winter.
DSC07137.JPG

DSC07138.JPG

Time for a quick update, although little progress right now. Been cleaning nuts & bolts and experimenting with nickel plating the heads. Also bought a nice tail light assembly on eBay. I will end up bobbing the rear fender. It has too much rust to make the chrome look good, so I will blast/abrade and paint it along with the front fender and side covers. I'm also collecting and shaping foam for the seat. Might have that glued-up to post a photo next week. High work load for three more weeks, then it lightens up until after the new year, but we also have to convert from LP to natural soon, which takes away from Hunley time and $$$.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Worked on the main wiring harness. All that it lacks is cleaning/burnishing the female barrel connectors. Thinking gun cleaning brush for that. Next, the right switches and connectors to them. This is time consuming as anything else, but I'm enjoying it, and in no hurry.

Long time little progress until last week. Got busy on the seat foam and finished it up. Just need a little grinding, cover with wrap and then the upholstery.
e4ynyvuv.jpg

This is built up of primarily carpet padding glued on the fiberglass seat pan with 3M 80 spray. The hump is closed cell packing foam.
udaga6ys.jpg

Next comes the cutting and sewing upholstery. I've never done ANY of this before, so it is pretty much seat-of-the-pants.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394748978015.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394748978015.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 399
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394749205937.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394749205937.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 398
Ah, but it stalled right after this. Looking to start up again on it in August - when it gets too stinkin' hot to ride!

Added our minister's Elite 80 scooter to the garage load today. He couldn't get it running after dying on him a few years ago. Was able to find his problem - blown "exciter", part of the alternator stator. $90.32 best price I find (Partzilla). Only ~$20 less for used on eBay. I'll leave that up to him. I don't have the setup to properly rewind that.

Hope he decides soon. The Hunley needs some valves lapped!

Sorry for the lack of updates. As you all know, life happens and things get shoved aside. We are working at preparations for retirement and "aging in place" (why does it need a name?) The Hunley was set aside for other things more pressing, including helping a new church start. I do have upholstery material cut and have practiced a little on scrap. I didn't get any good interest from local upholsterers, so I've decided to do it myself. Recently decided both heads really need to come off and lap the valves. Also the battery I had for it was loaned out and dropped. Will need a new one.

Glad to see you back. :hi: Life is what happens while your busy making other plans, :roll: or so i've heard. :smilie_happy:

Ok, retirement happened (actually laid off, but I'm calling it retirement). Took care of a lot of things around the place and moved things around so I could get back to it. Started back in on it last Friday. Think the most of the wiring is finished, but of course we won't know for sure until its back together. Rolled the engine back out from under a pile of "stuff" and ready to pull heads back off to lap in valves - at least the left head.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Latest posts