Time for me to address the 800lb Gorilla in the room.(Engine knock thread) REVIVED!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a thought this morning.

I have an external alternator, internal is disconnected.

My knock must be coming from something moving/spinning.

Since the stator has no load on it what are thoughts that possibly the knock could be coming from that area?

Someone posted a comment on youtube about the knock I'm getting,

"more then likly you are running a carb out of fuel caussing a fuel knock caused by a weak running cylinder .we see more issues with a fuel knock then with a rod knock."

Interesting thought.
I asked him to please explain further.

dan filipi":2bnoq6ki said:
Someone posted a comment on youtube about the knock I'm getting,

"more then likly you are running a carb out of fuel caussing a fuel knock caused by a weak running cylinder .we see more issues with a fuel knock then with a rod knock."

Interesting thought.
I asked him to please explain further.

Yes, let's talk about this. Today I was on the hill that brings the knock with heavy throttle, and no knock. It's 115F on the road right now, and it should have knocked, but one thing was different. A new small private school popped up and I had to go 30mph due to the cop standing in the road. Once clearing that spot I still had plenty of hill so I got into it, and still no knock.

The knock IS still there after the carb sync, but this empty carb thing feels right. I've never had to check the floats, but I'll just bet they are off just like we found the #1 carb way out of sync.

~O~

Alot of times the tick you hear is a weak lifter.After it sits the lifters leak down a bit.Once the oil circulates it pumps back up.And stops ticking.If it ticks constantly,valves need adjusting.As for the knocks.If it knocks on start up,after sitting a while,could be the main bearings wearing a little.And they will do this on start up.But not if you just shut off and start it back within a few minutes.And can run for a long time doing this.But without hearing it,no way to say.If it knocks a little,but get louder as you throttle.Usually this is a rod.NOT GOOD.The way these engines are designed it puts very little wear on the bottom end of the engine.Unless you are really trying to blow one up,it'll last well over 150,000 miles.

ajclockga":1at0jxvb said:
Alot of times the tick you hear is a weak lifter.After it sits the lifters leak down a bit.Once the oil circulates it pumps back up.And stops ticking.If it ticks constantly,valves need adjusting.As for the knocks.If it knocks on start up,after sitting a while,could be the main bearings wearing a little.And they will do this on start up.But not if you just shut off and start it back within a few minutes.And can run for a long time doing this.But without hearing it,no way to say.If it knocks a little,but get louder as you throttle.Usually this is a rod.NOT GOOD.The way these engines are designed it puts very little wear on the bottom end of the engine.Unless you are really trying to blow one up,it'll last well over 150,000 miles.
This could be so in the 1200 motors as they do have hydraulic lifters. !000s and 1100s do not.

My 1100 knocks on the first start of the day until the oil light goes out and has done so ever sinse I got it. I have had it for about 6 or 7 years. It has 134000 showing but may be 234000? It still runs great but I have a spair engine just in case. Dwight

OK....enough...that does it.......after listening to these videos, I have to split my '81 case open and once and for all determine if it was lower end stuff all along! :builder: :builder:

Unfortunately, I am heading to Rio Vista California for a week! :head bang: :Awe:

When I get back.....I gotta get started! :mischief: :whip: :yes: :rant: :mischief: :hihihi: :whistling: :swoon: :oops: :cheeky: :head bang: :heat: :help:

mcgovern61":1w0xxfs6 said:
OK....enough...that does it.......after listening to these videos, I have to split my '81 case open and once and for all determine if it was lower end stuff all along! :builder: :builder:

Unfortunately, I am heading to Rio Vista California for a week! :head bang: :Awe:

When I get back.....I gotta get started! :mischief: :whip: :yes: :rant: :mischief: :hihihi: :whistling: :swoon: :oops: :cheeky: :head bang: :heat: :help:
OK...OK...I almost got started splitting the case. I got the timing belt covers off...does that count? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

(Man, where does the time go??)

dan filipi":2y4o7rvz said:
Yeah Gerry I was thinking about that the other day.

Hit that thing with the ratchet so we can see inside.
Not long now......I really intend to open it up real soon! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
(Sorry to keep you guys waiting :mrgreen: ) :wave:

Hey.....when I open it up...do you want a new thread or follow in here? :read:

Latest posts