Time for me to address the 800lb Gorilla in the room.(Engine knock thread) REVIVED!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dan filipi":33zsb95j said:
A new thread would be better I think.
This weekend maybe?
New thread it is!

This weekend........YES........uh.......NO.......my daughter is having a baby this week and she lives in Virgina. Mom is heading that way this weekend and I have to get stuff ready for her to stay down there a bit. After my youngest gets out of school we are both heading that way. Might be able to get started next week or when the girls are all in VA and I get the house to myself! :Awe:

Finally!! I am home from VA and TONIGHT I start splitting the case to FINALLY determine what the noise was from! (Can't rush these things ya know :hihihi: )

I will be starting a new thread (with some of the old information) to track everything down! :yahoo:

My knocking only sounds when the engine gets warm. the warmer the louder the knock. i put higher octane gas and it quieted it down a bit. but not all the way. any ideas

gebob32":3j0wssy7 said:
My knocking only sounds when the engine gets warm. the warmer the louder the knock. i put higher octane gas and it quieted it down a bit. but not all the way. any ideas

I have the same problem, worse on the 82 than on the 83, but both have that pinging problem. Seems to be worse in summer or warmer climates. (Thanks to crappy gas mostly) They both run pretty good, even so.

You might check out this thread for just one of a couple ideas.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1468

Pic of the #1 and #3 upper rod bearings.....I think they speak for themselves!
81_Engine.jpg

Conclusions?

That elusive knock at 3K RPM (at least on this engine) is rod knock! (Finally, an answer!) :party:

That noisy start up video.....worn out crank and rod bearings!

My final conclusion.....these engines are near bullet proof!!!! 169K miles with worn out rod bearings, worn out main bearings, loose wrist pins, worn down piston skirts, worn down cylinder walls and it was still starting every time, no smoke, 160's on the compression and good power in the higher RPM's!! What can I say........Honda did a real fine job engineering these engines and OEM parts really held up great! :thanks:

I am ready to close this file! :whip: :moped:

..... whose that knocking at my door? in the world of the mysterious knock, which I fully understand can be rod knock which in a perfect world we don't want, but as owners of such a "bullet proof" war horse engine we know we can we some faith just keep riding till we break her open; but what if it isn't rod knock? My question is is there anything in the stator area/function, not in producing amps but maybe in the fact that it too rotates in relation to the engines rpms, that could get loose and produce a "knock"? My stator is deceased and I am currently running with a extra yard tractor battery hooked in parallel to the bike battery. As long as I keep it juiced, kinda like a Hybrid, I, at least, get local riding in pending the surgery its going to take to replace and or rebuild the problem ........ maybe find the source of my own mysterious knock .... your thoughts guys ....... :Egyptian:

crowesnest3":346asow5 said:
..... whose that knocking at my door? in the world of the mysterious knock, which I fully understand can be rod knock which in a perfect world we don't want, but as owners of such a "bullet proof" war horse engine we know we can we some faith just keep riding till we break her open; but what if it isn't rod knock? My question is is there anything in the stator area/function, not in producing amps but maybe in the fact that it too rotates in relation to the engines rpms, that could get loose and produce a "knock"? My stator is deceased and I am currently running with a extra yard tractor battery hooked in parallel to the bike battery. As long as I keep it juiced, kinda like a Hybrid, I, at least, get local riding in pending the surgery its going to take to replace and or rebuild the problem ........ maybe find the source of my own mysterious knock .... your thoughts guys ....... :Egyptian:
Other than the bolt coming loose, there is not anything about the stator than can knock. If the shaft is wobbling, the bearing is shot and the stator would be hitting and making lots of sparks! :smilie_happy:

For my engine, it was no doubt rod knock. Look at this video and listen to how easy the pistons can twist on the rod bearings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjnwxRwnU08

You're scaring me. This sounds a lot like the rattling noise I get under load starting around 3,500 rpm and steady cruise at 4,000 rpm on my 83I. :shock:

I never see any metallic swirls in the oil changes, though. Did you?

On the flip side...that intermittent tapping noise that used to come and go at random (sounded like valve adjustment @ #2) seems to be gone with the carb sync. Strange!

I give up trying to work on these bikes without you guys holding my hand. Too many little noises/quirks/odd balls that throw me for a loop. Heck, I can't even find the snap ring by myself. :blush:

scdmarx":2hh3xpy8 said:
You're scaring me. This sounds a lot like the rattling noise I get under load starting around 3,500 rpm and steady cruise at 4,000 rpm on my 83I. :shock:

I never see any metallic swirls in the oil changes, though. Did you?

On the flip side...that intermittent tapping noise that used to come and go at random (sounded like valve adjustment @ #2) seems to be gone with the carb sync. Strange!

I give up trying to work on these bikes without you guys holding my hand. Too many little noises/quirks/odd balls that throw me for a loop. Heck, I can't even find the snap ring by myself. :blush:
YES!!! Every oil change was shiney at the bottom of the oil change pan with this engine! My knocking was consistent every time the engine was warmed up and especially on the highway...hence the reason I restorted to calling it a diesel! :smilie_happy:

Every first start up made that bearing racket (in the noisy video) for at least 2 seconds before the oil pressure came up.

The only time it did not knock right away on the road was in 50 degree or lower temps with 20w50 oil.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110011#p110011:1cqojgns said:
joedrum » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:44 am[/url]":1cqojgns]
morning Gerry ... I am in the woodshed taking a beating ... ithink I am beginning to knock a bit LOL
:smilie_happy: Don't give up Joe or we are going to have to give you a knockers club emblem!

Mines been sounding a bit like the video for 20 years if that tells you anything. We've ridden it in 5-6 local states and it keeps coming home. I think that it's more a carb problem when cold and then as it warms it seems to fade away. I've had it get real bad and the crush gaskets in the exhaust were leaking. You might want to check those header pipe bolts to see if they are loose but I don't think you have a death rattle there.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118457#p118457:1y9vgxwl said:
WalterM817 » 2014-05-19- 20:22[/url]":1y9vgxwl]
Mines been sounding a bit like the video for 20 years if that tells you anything. We've ridden it in 5-6 local states and it keeps coming home. I think that it's more a carb problem when cold and then as it warms it seems to fade away. I've had it get real bad and the crush gaskets in the exhaust were leaking. You might want to check those header pipe bolts to see if they are loose but I don't think you have a death rattle there.

I've been dealing with this same issue myself, but can find no apparent mechanical cause. I did a visual carb sync twice, but not running, so this may be the ticket. I don't recall my GL1000 doing this, ever, but after reading all the other similar responses, I'm not going to keep worrying about it like I was before. Thanks for the insight and peace-of-mind, lol! -Graves

Latest posts