What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here ya go Joe, my new toy. A 1979 Wil-Mac trike, 1600cc dual port vw motor, Harley wide glide front end, straight "H" W/reverse under the left thigh, wheelie bars replaced with a trailer hitch I made, and 95 pounds of steel plates under the front floor to keep the front end down! It is very comfortable, but makes you work to ride the twisties, and is just a blast to ride. I found it on-line in Pa. Top speed just north of 80 mph, foot brake and clutch. Front brake is only useful if you are already standing on the rear drum brakes. I had to make a new accelerator cable out of bicycle parts because it is 118" long!

Attachments

• IMG_3503small.jpg
    IMG_3503small.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3518small.jpg
    IMG_3518small.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3283small.jpg
    IMG_3283small.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 99
Actually yesterday...I pulled the bags, mounts, shocks and the rear wheel to install a new tire. What a rusty mess the bag mounts are...the rear rim is nasty too. Lots of cleaning to do before I put it back together. I'm going to clean the rust as best as I can then paint all the parts of the mounts that don't show flat black rustoleum

mjanderson":1a2htwew said:
Checked valve adjustment and took the tach off again to try to get grease in instead of oil. So far so good...
Grease on the needle bearings tends to thicken and retard movement. I used silicone spray to thin out the old grease in the Hunley's tach and speedo. So far it has worked great, but be careful not to get it on the face of the instrument. Also, remember to clean and apply your favorite anti-fog on the inside of the lens before crimping it all back together.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206155#p206155:3uhurzwg said:
pidjones » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:47 am[/url]":3uhurzwg]
mjanderson":3uhurzwg said:
Checked valve adjustment and took the tach off again to try to get grease in instead of oil. So far so good...
Grease on the needle bearings tends to thicken and retard movement. I used silicone spray to thin out the old grease in the Hunley's tach and speedo. So far it has worked great, but be careful not to get it on the face of the instrument. Also, remember to clean and apply your favorite anti-fog on the inside of the lens before crimping it all back together.
:good: Yea, this was a lightweight white grease so I'm hoping it won't be a problem. Time will tell... :beg:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206155#p206155:2trg7yeu said:
pidjones » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:47 am[/url]":2trg7yeu]
mjanderson":2trg7yeu said:

A good old school trick to lubricate your speedo or tach is to take a cotton ball soaked in kerosene and put it into a hole that is for lighting in the housing of the instrument.. this is prior to disassembly. Then sit in the sun for a day or two, and let the heat evaporate the kerosene into the instrument, and it will lube it with out disassembly. Yours, however, is victim to someone who used improper spray lube into the instrument, which gummed it up. Now that you have it degreased, and working, try the cotton ball soaked in kerosene in the lighting hole after you re-assemble it, and give it some heat, but not more than 100deg F. for a day or so.
Also, sit it UPRIGHT so the lube doesn't drip onto the glass lens or the face of the instrument.

I got this off the SOHC forum...in a thread titled"Speedo gauge fix?" Might help.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206160#p206160:w5jbrs6f said:
kerryb » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:53 pm[/url]":w5jbrs6f]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206155#p206155:w5jbrs6f said:
pidjones » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:47 am[/url]":w5jbrs6f]
mjanderson":w5jbrs6f said:

A good old school trick to lubricate your speedo or tach is to take a cotton ball soaked in kerosene and put it into a hole that is for lighting in the housing of the instrument.. this is prior to disassembly. Then sit in the sun for a day or two, and let the heat evaporate the kerosene into the instrument, and it will lube it with out disassembly. Yours, however, is victim to someone who used improper spray lube into the instrument, which gummed it up. Now that you have it degreased, and working, try the cotton ball soaked in kerosene in the lighting hole after you re-assemble it, and give it some heat, but not more than 100deg F. for a day or so.
Also, sit it UPRIGHT so the lube doesn't drip onto the glass lens or the face of the instrument.

I got this off the SOHC forum...in a thread titled"Speedo gauge fix?" Might help.

Thanks for the extra help but I already have it back on and it seems to be doing fine so far. I will keep this in mind if and when it does it again.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206186#p206186:66viq56x said:
Ohara » Today, 7:25 am[/url]":66viq56x]
I will listen Sunday. Should be able to hear you from here. :music:

:smilie_happy:

I can't hear the stocker when running down the road doubt anyone else does either soooo going way over board to compensate for those with nomophobia. Should be ready about noon eastern... :rocks:

I've had the rear of the bike torn apart since last weekend....got it back together today. I mounted a new Commander 2 w/ dynabeads, new rear brake pads and changed the lube in the rear drive. I probably spent just as much time cleaning the wheel, bag mounts etc...all the places that haven't really been attended to for 17K miles. Got in about 100 miles of backroad crusing on a nice cool day.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206189#p206189:3by5ki3i said:
FlipFlop » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:33 am[/url]":3by5ki3i]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206186#p206186:3by5ki3i said:
Ohara » Today, 7:25 am[/url]":3by5ki3i]

I can't hear the stocker when running down the road doubt anyone else does either soooo going way over board to compensate for those with nomophobia. Should be ready about noon eastern... :rocks:

:smilie_happy: Had to look that one up.

I installed a Wolo Bad Boy on my Valkyrie a few years back after almost getting plowed by a little old lady making a turn. The heck of it was, I was all happy, proud and feeling secure having just installed my VERY BRIGHT ShowChrome running lights. She still didn't see me. Furious, I hit the OEM Valk horn and got the embarrassing <meep, meep> note. Ordered the Wolo that same day.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206237#p206237:3ix6ddx4 said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 8:57 pm[/url]":3ix6ddx4]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206189#p206189:3ix6ddx4 said:
FlipFlop » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:33 am[/url]":3ix6ddx4]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206186#p206186:3ix6ddx4 said:
Ohara » Today, 7:25 am[/url]":3ix6ddx4]

:smilie_happy: Had to look that one up.

I installed a Wolo Bad Boy on my Valkyrie a few years back after almost getting plowed by a little old lady making a turn. The heck of it was, I was all happy, proud and feeling secure having just installed my VERY BRIGHT ShowChrome running lights. She still didn't see me. Furious, I hit the OEM Valk horn and got the embarrassing <meep, meep> note. Ordered the Wolo that same day.

Ansimp":3ix6ddx4 said:
Love my WoLo on Val. The single crappy looking horn was useless! :mischief:

Well this one is a no namer, and after install was working on my parts cleaner and JPWinger called that he was intown and went over to see him. On the way there a guy in a Pick Up truck was in a little too much of a hurry and pulled out in front of me when I hit the horn he freaked out so bad I thought he was going to run his truck into the ditch on the other side of the road. This horn is just as loud as the air horns on my Semi. The stock horn did nothing it died completely I guess. Might install another horn there for the lower scale of the db's. Was surprised really, was not expecting it to work as effective as it did. :shock:

Well...yestidy, I went out with the intention of cleaning the 1500. Got sidetracked into swapping the speakers in my helmet headset. The original Honda speakers had broken the front, plastic grills off, so they just had the thin cellophane membranes/cones hanging out....sounded a widle "tinny". I had a few more sets to try, and found that one of the J&M sets sounded best, and since none of them use connectors, I had to cut them off, and splice/solder the wiring back together. Sounds soooo mooch betta now. :music2:

Why dint I just install the complete J&M set-up, you ax? Well..'cause they all have some sort of problem that keeps them from being used as is.....mounts broken, no microphone, wrong connector for the bike, etc. I used the best of the 6 sets I got with the bike on the two helmets I have, so the rest are basically just for parts now.

Maybe next weekend I can actually get around to cleanin the nasty thing.... :beg:

Latest posts