What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206590#p206590:1o142elt said:
desertrefugee » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 am[/url]":1o142elt]
Got this miserable dog of a broken valve cover bolt out of the head on the '78. It was broken off below the deck, so I was prepared to drill and easy-out it. But, the pilot drill moved the stub, so I painstakingly decided to coax it out with a hammer and punch until I had enough to slot and back the rest of the way out.

Got kinda lucky, I guess. Except I need a bolt now.

file.php
:good:

OK. I work slow. But, there's a lot happening around here and time was precious.

...but finally got things back together after replacing head gaskets and timing belts on my '78. Stinkin' broken valve cover bolt made me stick my head in the sand for a few days, too. But, it's ready for riding season. Mostly.

Bike's idling a little ragged. May need another sync. Or something. I had the darned mufflers aligned perfectly before all this. Need to tweak them back into place. The crookedness messes with my sense of aesthetics...

Youtube Link: (since I can't get it to embed)
https://youtu.be/i2HZ7rNA_rk

(YouTube embedded df)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206603#p206603:2xo9fs7n said:
pidjones » October 19th, 2018, 3:54 am[/url]":2xo9fs7n]
We rode from home North of Knoxville down 321 to GSMNP, over to Cherokee, up BRP to 19 and the back to Cherokee for a late lunch and then doubled back home. Love riding with the wife on our GL1800.

Hear you on this. Enjoy riding with Sonya, nice to have a partner who wants to ride with you. Sonya gets a little miffed if I don't ask her first.

Cheers

Good stuff Darrell. :good:
I always suspected that you were a little crooked! :smilie_happy:

Rode to work yesterday. Riding to work composes a vast majority of my riding season; I simply have too many "things" to do to get much recreational riding in. I love cool (not cold) riding in the fall. Its beautiful and invigorating. Its also melancholy never knowing exactly which ride is the "last" ride of the season. I took the road less traveled and it was wonderful. Yesterday may have been it.

This week I mainly worked on the CB750F, but did find the proper weather for getting a couple coats of color on the Hunley's side covers, shelter sides, and front fender. Did some light wet sanding first as orange peal and a couple places where the color came through the clear were the previous problems. They are now in my upstairs den curing before they get 2K rattle-can clear. When the weather gets right again.

not quite ...i was really surprised ..hooch after not running for a 1 1/2 years ,,,fired right up even with the old gas in it ..just poured a a bit of fresh gas down its throat and bingo running ..i just love the SCC setup on the bike ...it was cool and dry down in Florida ...hooch just loves cool dry air ...now the strange thing is this motor is the knocking motor ..making all kinds of racket ..but on the cool yesterday and humid day today the motor made no noise at all ...i ran ran it quite some time too but couldnt ride it ...the darn hydro clutch master cylinder was bad from setting i guess ....POS when i got 8 yrs ago ...so i order a china clutch master cylinder for it suppose to be here on the 10th ...

im begining to think the motor needs dam near racing fuel to not knock and ping after i actually shave the block down trying to use copper gaskets ..what an idiot move ..and also needs way more out put fuel pump to feed the monster ...ill know move about the health of the motor once i get my brand new 26.85$ clutch master going LOL hope it works ... it was a pretty picture on ebay .. ill be going with premium gas and hope al the noise it was doing stops..and someday get a electric pump to feed the weber carb idling good around 1000 rpm and the runners were nice and cold like i like them ..the reverse of the heated setup others use ..if the motor is bad ive got the new one to put in thanks to the forum and all who chiped in...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206945#p206945:1yjuu1a9 said:
joedrum » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 am[/url]":1yjuu1a9]
not quite ...i was really surprised ..hooch after not running for a 1 1/2 years ,,,fired right up even with the old gas in it ..just poured a a bit of fresh gas down its throat and bingo running ..i just love the SCC setup on the bike ...it was cool and dry down in Florida ...hooch just loves cool dry air ...now the strange thing is this motor is the knocking motor ..making all kinds of racket ..but on the cool yesterday and humid day today the motor made no noise at all ...i ran ran it quite some time too but couldnt ride it ...the darn hydro clutch master cylinder was bad from setting i guess ....POS when i got 8 yrs ago ...so i order a china clutch master cylinder for it suppose to be here on the 10th ...

im begining to think the motor needs dam near racing fuel to not knock and ping after i actually shave the block down trying to use copper gaskets ..what an idiot move ..and also needs way more out put fuel pump to feed the monster ...ill know move about the health of the motor once i get my brand new 26.85$ clutch master going LOL hope it works ... it was a pretty picture on ebay .. ill be going with premium gas and hope al the noise it was doing stops..and someday get a electric pump to feed the weber carb idling good around 1000 rpm and the runners were nice and cold like i like them ..the reverse of the heated setup others use ..if the motor is bad ive got the new one to put in thanks to the forum and all who chiped in...
:good:
Go, go Joe!! :moped: :moped:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206945#p206945:1d6tb0f6 said:
joedrum » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:48 pm[/url]":1d6tb0f6]
..now the strange thing is this motor is the knocking motor ..making all kinds of racket

Hmm....candidate for the "Knockers Club"?

Was gunna get "The Turd" out Saturday and see if I could clear out the carb(s), but dang thing barely runs...not well enough to get it on the road. I shoulda been startin it every week, but I have't. Lettin it sit this past year has apparently gummed the carbs up on it. It's only runnin on 2 cylinders, from the sound of it. Plugs were all fouled(bad fuel). Put a set of used plugs in, and it helped, but still not enough to actually ride. Guess Imma pullin the dang rack back out and cleanin the carbs. I can spray a little fuel down the plenum and it runs just fine, so I know it am a carb issue....dammit... :crying: :sensored:

Was gunna pull the rack out yestidy, but woke up not bein able to stand up without floppin around...no balance at all. Dang near fell into glass displays several times... Inner ear problem, most likely. Felt like a weeble all day yestidy, and a little today too.... :roll:

wow you certainly nailed it ...great gas we have now days ...it just hell on stock carbs ...makes me feel even better about the weber carb start up after a 1 1/2 sit ....weeble wobble but they dont fall down ...take care joel the rack can wait

First real ride after head gaskets/timing belts. Nice to have the old girl in the wind again. Left the office early, voted, rode 50 miles.

Not a bad afternoon. Temps in the low 80's (F) of course. Sharp-eyed observers might note the hotwired neutral switch. Details, details.

IMG_0404_Cropped.JPG

IMG_0405_Cropped.JPG

Latest posts