Windshields and Buffeting!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123764#p123764:25wrwev2 said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:18 pm[/url]":25wrwev2]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123761#p123761:25wrwev2 said:
backlander » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:16 pm[/url]":25wrwev2]
The less buffeting would mean a less tiring ride especially for long distances.
EXACTLY!! That is my goal!! :yes:

I still wonder what it is going to be like if you are fighting a constant cross wind... When riding in things like that, I look for a Wal-Mart of a movie theater to waste a few hours.

I know that Craig Vetter is still active and competes in motorcycle gas milage contests so is very knowledgeable about airflow. He is on line a lot and may have ideas about airflow and windjammers. Would be worth asking. I have and like my 'jammer but less turbulence would be good.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123841#p123841:1aq2cc2n said:
tuna » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:56 am[/url]":1aq2cc2n]
I know that Craig Vetter is still active and competes in motorcycle gas milage contests so is very knowledgeable about airflow. He is on line a lot and may have ideas about airflow and windjammers. Would be worth asking. I have and like my 'jammer but less turbulence would be good.
I have communicated with him on several issues so far. My Windjammer 5 fairing was built after he sold the company. We had a go around on the original windshield that was on the bike which he liked, but said was a custom windshield anyway.

The vents on his original designs were intended to reduce buffeting along with the lowers. The unintended consequence of the lowers was trapping engine heat in the summer months roasting your feet. (At least on GL's) We have to remember that the Windjammer farings were used on many different makes of motorcycles and they were a nearly "one size fits all"! The mounting frames were modified based on the installation, but otherwise were the same farings. Some bikes experienced less buffeting than others. Here is a pic of the windshield that came with my bike:

image.php

all i can say is sense i cut my shield down ... a week ago ... it seems to cut through the wind better ...and the same lenght of trips seem to really go by fast witch is not happening but it must be less trying ...even patty seems to think the same thing ... i am very pleaesd with the results cause it plenty of shield for me as i need that ...and totally less tiring as mention in posts above

I did notice an BIG difference when I switched my windscreen to the screen with the pop out vents. The trip to Joe's I had a screen on without those vents and my head was moved around a bit. After switching, not a bit. Now with the short windscreen... well, that's a different subject.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123827#p123827:tkm183cb said:
Steve83 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:41 am[/url]":tkm183cb]
It's so cool that things are working out for you on this conversion! So, what'll you do with all that free time, now that she's nearly perfect?
Thanks Steve! Nearly perfect? Naw, far from it. :hihihi:

Next is the radio installation, then next year is a complete repaint and OEM decals. I also want to change the seat, but try to keep my current backrest (It is so comfy!). I also want to clean up and do something with the wheels/rims. Not quite sure how they get painted yet?

Thought I would post a coupla pics of how high the windshield opening is now at the headlight.

image.php

image.php

I am under the opinion that it is this air gap that broke the turbulence!

Had the bike out for a nice ride today and not only can I hear my radio speakers clearly, it is smooth air all the way!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124263#p124263:39tjdu5c said:
dan filipi » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:57 pm[/url]":39tjdu5c]
Nice job Gerry.
Must be a pleasure now with the smooth air.
Get behind any cars?
A few, not so smooth behind cars.....

So if you think that the air gap around the head light helped reduce the turbulence what changes might do the same for a windjammer? Different venting system, a layered 2 piece screen with a gap between the layers? I do think that a member installed a rectangular vent from 1500 on a Vetter but don't recall the results. I did email Craig Vetter about this but have not gotten an answer.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124326#p124326:2ha2om5m said:
tuna » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:09 am[/url]":2ha2om5m]
So if you think that the air gap around the head light helped reduce the turbulence what changes might do the same for a windjammer? Different venting system, a layered 2 piece screen with a gap between the layers? I do think that a member installed a rectangular vent from 1500 on a Vetter but don't recall the results. I did email Craig Vetter about this but have not gotten an answer.
Funny thing is, I found out that my Windjammer has vents under the turn signals. :shock:

Problem is, they don't seem to vent to anywhere? Maybe they were intended to provide air to the rider and the new company forgot to finish cutting the vents in on the rider side of the faring or maybe they would have broken up the air a bit?

For the vents by the turn signals are you talking about the newer Vetter with the built in turn signals? If so the vent looking grids are for cosmetics only. If they were real they would vent the inside of the fairing only. In the rain the inside of the fairing would wet. Does anyone notice any difference in turbulence with the lowers on? When you look at the ST 1100-1300 the stock shield has a flip at the top edge. If there was an easy way to bend up the top edge of a 'jammer I think that would work. I do believe the clear full shield may work better but I want to stick with mW Windjammer.

The vents in the turn signals are actually the ports for the optional horns which by the way are a lot louder that the OEM Honda horns. I will say that after 500 plus miles of highway speed with my short wind screen, I didn't have any buffeting but I had a lot of wind in my face. I think the solution would be finding the exact height for each rider.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124459#p124459:3lib0gl9 said:
brianinpa » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:16 am[/url]":3lib0gl9]
The vents in the turn signals are actually the ports for the optional horns which by the way are a lot louder that the OEM Honda horns.

Cool fact!! I knew there were horn wires available in my harness, but didn't know where the horn was supposed to be in there.

I will say that after 500 plus miles of highway speed with my short wind screen, I didn't have any buffeting but I had a lot of wind in my face. I think the solution would be finding the exact height for each rider.

Agreed! Buffeting is rough. (Knocks my head around) Wind in the face is real tiring for me. (Plus I keep hitting bees and bugs that size with no windshield. Boy they do head damage!) :hihihi:

At one time someone was selling a Naugahyde filler that fit around the fork tubes and blocked off most of the air entering the cockpit from below. Anybody try this for turbulence control. I have see riders put a dark beach towel in the bottom of the fairing around the fork tubes to do the same thing. Just not sure how well these things work.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124644#p124644:1gknpcio said:
tuna » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 am[/url]":1gknpcio]
At one time someone was selling a Naugahyde filler that fit around the fork tubes and blocked off most of the air entering the cockpit from below. Anybody try this for turbulence control. I have see riders put a dark beach towel in the bottom of the fairing around the fork tubes to do the same thing. Just not sure how well these things work.
If I'm understanding, it's lack of air flow below the fairing is what causes the buffeting.
Opening it so air can flow equalizes air pressure behind the fairing and windshield.

Well, there is at least a way for me to test that theory with this windshield. I can leave it set right where it is with no buffeting (other than when riding behind a vehicle), fill the space between the headlight and the windshield closing up the current gap and check the results.

Sound reasonable? :headscratch:

Latest posts