Windshields and Buffeting!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124669#p124669:16398ubk said:
dan filipi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:56 pm[/url]":16398ubk]
Sounds good to me Gerry............waiting for those results :whistling:
Might have to wait a day or so, I have quite a bit of REAL work to do (that someone actually pays me for, like my Company). :hihihi:

I have another job after work today and we are expecting severe thunderstorms this afternoon anyway. :cheeky:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124671#p124671:2t9sdw41 said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:01 am[/url]":2t9sdw41]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124669#p124669:2t9sdw41 said:
dan filipi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:56 pm[/url]":2t9sdw41]
Sounds good to me Gerry............waiting for those results :whistling:
Might have to wait a day or so, I have quite a bit of REAL work to do (that someone actually pays me for, like my Company). :hihihi:

I have another job after work today and we are expecting severe thunderstorms this afternoon anyway. :cheeky:

I was going to say any excuse for a ride!! :smilie_happy:
I am impressed with your self restraint Gerry can't wait for the wet/ stuffed ride report.. :moped: :hihihi:

RIDE REPORT!! :popcorn:

image.php

A reminder of where I am starting from here....There is a 1 1/4" space between the headlight and the windshield, I have raised the windshield as high as it can go and tilted the rake back to be about 2-3 degrees past the fork rake angle. In this condition, no buffeting and the air is smooth.

I filled the space all around the headlight and sealed the bottom similar to my Vetter faring. Head out to the highway! :moped:
(I am looking for some sympathy here, you know, being forced to take my bike out for road tests.) :hihihi:

Hit the highway at 75 MPH and sure enough, BIG TIME WIND BUFFETING! :shock: :cheeky:

Pull off and remove the stuff to re-open the windshield and ride again up to 75 MPH. SMOOTH AIR...NO BUFFETING! :party:

I put my hand up by the speedo and the windshield and air is flying in! (I guess I will have to be careful riding in the rain now!) I am under the opinion that everything I have read in the past about breaking the vacuum of a tall windshield is true! :yes:

I suppose that now that I know about the pressure difference and have the opening, riding in the rain is going get both the outside and inside windshield covered in drops?

At least with the Vetter faring, cutting through heavy rain was a breeze since the inside of the windshield stayed dry and the rain mostly slipped off the front.

ive learned that the vetter is quite the set up even better than the hondaline stuff .... seems hooch zips right through the wind and better than naked by far ...seems to to be as good as the maderin fairing today on crotch rockets but in sit strait set up ... the 1100 mirrors added just finalized this set up nice for me ... i always wear full face helmet and the slightly cut down shield is nice not to have the close to line of sight .....

I agree Joe.

One thing that I thought I tried correctly was the windshield was all the way down originally and I could easily see over it, but I got blasted with wind (not buffeting, just 75 MPH wind). Is this the condition that everyone expects and accepts when you cut down your windshield? If so, how is it an advantage? :headscratch:

biggest reason i cut down shield is it old and couldnt clear it good enough ... i will buy new shield it wont be cut down gerry ... the cut down was a no cost fix ... i only cut 3 1/4" off ... plus with full face helmet i wear this is no problem to me at all i am not feeling that much wind

I want to cut down mine so that I can get some wind into my modular helmet during summers heat. When I was riding in the US I spent way too much time with my helmet open, which is not good as most modular helmets are not strong when unlocked :(

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124938#p124938:2yjvctpp said:
joedrum » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:11 am[/url]":2yjvctpp]
ive learned that the vetter is quite the set up even better than the hondaline stuff .... seems hooch zips right through the wind and better than naked by far...

The pop up vents that are cut into the wind screen do the same thing to cut down on the buffeting. The fairing bump out keep your hands out of the direct airflow. The more I read about the history of the Vetter fairing, the more impressed I am that they have stood the test of time.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124987#p124987:zvz083y0 said:
Ansimp » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:54 pm[/url]":zvz083y0]
I want to cut down mine so that I can get some wind into my modular helmet during summers heat. When I was riding in the US I spent way too much time with my helmet open, which is not good as most modular helmets are not strong when unlocked :(

Tony the more I ride in the hot weather of the South, the more happier I am that I did it. It did help having a few spare windscreens. That made the decision a lot easier.

Not that our winter is that cold but I too am impressed with how good the Vetter Windjammers are at keeping off the cold and rain. Even more amazing is that Craig and his team came up with one product that fitted all types of different motorcycles with the same great results :good:

Yep, kudos to Craig Vetter! It is a great faring and mine has served me well! I like that the lowers can come off real easy for summer riding (so that you don't cook your feet) and yet when they are on you have great protection for your legs for cold weather riding. The compact cycle sound unit was also a great addition (although I'm not sure that was his idea or it came after the company was sold.)

I have to add that even though mine sat outside in the weather for 12 straight years getting sun damage, one coat of wax and it came back like new and has stayed that way! The plastic is real sturdy and the mounting could not be easier.

I will miss some of the things that faring offered, but I sure am enjoying the lighter bike (losing nearly 40 lbs of weight over the forks!)

hmmmm yes ... i think its just the impact of wind for sure ...but hooch seems absolutely more stabil than with out a shield ... i think gerry the shield you have now could probably use some extra weight ...i like them and had one yrs ago ... they cover well .... but maybe buffeting maybe greater with it ...even if there was vents in it ... dont know really just guessing

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124935#p124935:z7yftbhp said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:54 am[/url]":z7yftbhp]
I suppose that now that I know about the pressure difference and have the opening, riding in the rain is going get both the outside and inside windshield covered in drops?

At least with the Vetter faring, cutting through heavy rain was a breeze since the inside of the windshield stayed dry and the rain mostly slipped off the front.
Inside of the shield should stay pretty much dry. the incoming air from under the shield probably won't carry the heavy rain with it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125307#p125307:hzq11tx4 said:
slabghost » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:05 pm[/url]":hzq11tx4]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124935#p124935:hzq11tx4 said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:54 am[/url]":hzq11tx4]

Inside of the shield should stay pretty much dry. the incoming air from under the shield probably won't carry the heavy rain with it.
I hope so! (Not that I am going to go looking for a thunderstorm and find out!) :hihihi:

Latest posts