Stator bad?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clothednblack

Reaction score
Stator is bad indeed, this bike only has 58,000 miles, hardly broke in. I checked eBay for screws for the fairings but haven't seen anything other than for a sport bike.

I'm a mechanic for a living but feel overwhelmed by dropping a motor on a bike (silly but it's true) looked like the conversion kit was way easier and has all the mounting hardware too. I was told that it stopped charging and was replaced twice before. Previous owner said that the battery was dead and he used a battery charger to start it and that's what killed the stator. I haven't tried starting it yet as the battery is completely dead and haven't gotten paid yet so I can buy a new one. I tried a trickle charge and the lights come on but not very long, battery might be low on fluid, been sitting a couple years.

Try the fastener section at Lowes for the screws for the fairings. They have some that have the rubber on the nuts you push through the fairing to hold the lowers on.

Agreed, do a complete test on it first.

Also, having been replaced twice before with such low miles....to me that's sort of a red flag that something else could be going on that's taking out the stator.
High resistance in the wiring possibly?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129866#p129866:2a8de8zf said:
clothednblack » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:21 am[/url]":2a8de8zf]
Well, I tested all 3 wires and I get
Hope I did it right

Is this as per the link that I listed of me testing the 86a stator. The test I posted is without the engine running and is to determine the quality of the stator. There is also a running test but I only use that if I have done the stator static test first :yes:

Omega Man":u0umfljx said:
Test at the battery, min is what 13.5v @ 3k rpms?
Ansimp":u0umfljx said:
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129866#p129866:u0umfljx said:
clothednblack » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:21 am[/url]":u0umfljx]
Well, I tested all 3 wires and I get
Hope I did it right

Is this as per the link that I listed of me testing the 86a stator. The test I posted is without the engine running and is to determine the quality of the stator. There is also a running test but I only use that if I have done the stator static test first :yes:

With my jumper cables connected and rpm at 1300, it shows a 13v charge, once I disconnect the jumper cables and let go of the throttle, it dies and when held at 1300 without cables meter reads 0.

First ohm test was from the link above and before I got it running.

The running test proves that you are not charging. The 3 ohm doesn't sound right and you need to test to ground. Make sure you click on my photos in the post and that will take you to a full size photo in my gallery. As stated by Slabghost make sure you also test to ground and I also recommend doing the high current test with a battery and 55w test bulb to be sure of the windings integrity.

Ansimp":1lrv7pog said:
The running test proves that you are not charging. The 3 ohm doesn't sound right and you need to test to ground. Make sure you click on my photos in the post and that will take you to a full size photo in my gallery. As stated by Slabghost make sure you also test to ground and I also recommend doing the high current test with a battery and 55w test bulb to be sure of the windings integrity.

I will test that again, I used the positive lead to the stator wire and the negative to ground, for all 3 wires. I will post back my results in just a min. I don't have a light to test with unfortunately.

If you look at the photos you will see that you also check the pairs for the resistance reading. Lead 1-2, lead 2-3 and finally leads 1-3. You should not be getting any circuit to ground. The light is a safety feature. To test for ground faults hook the negative 12v battery lead to ground and briefly short each stator lead one at a time to the positive. There should be no spark if the stator is correctly insulated still.

for the fairing the bolts are usually 6mm x 1.25 ... bought mine in the specialty drawers over in hardware.. lowes and home depot carried them.. iirc try Ace also they seem to have odds and ends that work.. :builder:

Latest posts