Stator bad?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check each of your wires separately to the reg/rec for continuity and resistance. We found a section of wire that looked good on Joedrum's hooch that was broken inside. 30 year old wires can gain a lot of resistance too.

If this helps.In the video He is testing with the yellow wires hooked up and meter set to DC, if they are disconnected you use AC and the reading should be 50 V or higher from yellow to yellow, not to ground..
[video]https://youtu.be/zOG_nmnRT5k[/video]

slabghost":1tfkrybw said:
Check each of your wires separately to the reg/rec for continuity and resistance. We found a section of wire that looked good on Joedrum's hooch that was broken inside. 30 year old wires can gain a lot of resistance too.

Just did this
1-2 1-3 2-3 and 2 wires give nothing for the ohm test and 1 wire gives me . 32 using 20k

zman":1ja8ivq1 said:
If this helps.In the video He is testing with the yellow wires hooked up and meter set to DC, if they are disconnected you use AC and the reading should be 50 V or higher from yellow to yellow, not to ground..
[video]https://youtu.be/zOG_nmnRT5k[/video]

Wires disconnected
Testing A/C wire to wire at idle

Tomorrow I will test with wires plugged in. Already reconnected the stator wires, not sure what the reading is supposed to be when checking the reg with wires unplugged.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129931#p129931 said:
clothednblack

Just did this
1-2 1-3 2-3 and 2 wires give nothing for the ohm test and 1 wire gives me . 32 using 20k

Unfortunately your stator has failed if you are confident that your meter readings are correct. :(

Ansimp":319z7dax said:
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129931#p129931 said:
clothednblack

Just did this

Unfortunately your stator has failed if you are confident that your meter readings are correct. :(

Those readings were for the test of the reg end, not the stator end. Sorry if that previous post was confusing.

Ansimp":2x3rumcj said:
Here is the area that you should untape and separate to check the connections and also do the stator phase test from this point as this will test the wiring.

Picked up a new battery, it's charging now and pealed off the tape.
2e3ahyhy.jpg

Connections look good at the r/r end. Can you find the position around the tank frame where the stator wires join the harness and I tested my stator ( originally bullet connectors) ?
Click on the picture and you will see the yellow phase wires going to the r/r in the harness. You will also see a test of one phase using the multimeter on the ohm/ resistance scale.

Those (near the tank frame, along side the battery) are the one's I cut because they were soldered, now has quick connects. I used those for the original test (like your pic). As soon as the battery is ready, I will do the phase 1 test and report back here. It will be a few hours

Could you possibly do the test with your multimeter and post pictures like I did so that we can advise you correctly on your testing procedure and outcomes?

Ansimp":3tug3bha said:
Could you possibly do the test with your multimeter and post pictures like I did so that we can advise you correctly on your testing procedure and outcomes?

Absolutely, I will post pics of all three phase tests and readings.

I did the connected test, if I did it wrong, please let me know. I'm new to testing systems like this.
u4ymy7yz.jpg
venyva5a.jpg
udyganan.jpg

Edit: the video link disappeared, just remembered that I have to test to ground while running.... Standby.

Your stator readings look fine. You don't need to do the running test to check the ground. You can just go from the leads to ground. Try running your bike with the new battery and checking the voltage at the battery when it is running at idle and then at 3000 rpm.

Latest posts