Stator bad?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ansimp":5h2slvzb said:
Your stator readings look fine. You don't need to do the running test to check the ground. You can just go from the leads to ground. Try running your bike with the new battery and checking the voltage at the battery when it is running at idle and then at 3000 rpm.
Ok, I will check that now. I did the other test before I saw you reply.
e8ubu5ab.jpg
7eraseby.jpg
yqugyjy6.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130397#p130397:3a1p207p said:
clothednblack » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:21 am[/url]":3a1p207p]
Off to get a multimeter. This one is old and not reading anything from the battery
$hit!! I only just realised that your are using the wrong scale on your multimeter it should be ohms as per the right side of the meter. No wonder your testing is not working out, my bad...
See where my meter is set, it is on the opposite side to yours :doh:

Ansimp":8hzkncmq said:
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130397#p130397:8hzkncmq said:
clothednblack » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:21 am[/url]":8hzkncmq]
Off to get a multimeter. This one is old and not reading anything from the battery
$hit!! I only just realised that your are using the wrong scale on your multimeter it should be ohms as per the right side of the meter. No wonder your testing is not working out, my bad...
See where my meter is set, it is on the opposite side to yours :doh:

My volts are on the left side lol. It's all good, I need a new one anyways.

Just use my pics with it not running to check the stator. First though I think that you should hook everything up and do a running voltage test as there may be nothing wrong with your charging circuit just that you didn't have a good battery to start with.

Ansimp":wc383ud1 said:
Just use my pics with it not running to check the stator. First though I think that you should hook everything up and do a running voltage test as there may be nothing wrong with your charging circuit just that you didn't have a good battery to start with.

Running @3000
tu4y8y6e.jpg

Running @3000 with all lights on
pu3ynu7e.jpg

Finished making all connections secure.
Found the YouTube video as well.

At idle
jezuzy3y.jpg

At 3000rpm
e2e2asad.jpg

Negative to the battery and positive test lead to each stator wire
All 3 were just above 6 Volts.

Ran it again with all the lights on, 12.54 at idle and 13.58 at 3000rpm.
I believe the stator is actually just fine.

We all need to remember not to get ahead of ourselves. :doh: Congratulations on a great bike that has a new r/r and all soldered connections that is charging perfectly. :good: :moped:

Latest posts