1500 swing arm mod attempt to fit 4 cylinder oldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes one of the worse things about the forums is listening to experts of weather something works or not .. sad to say that about 90% of it was just wrong completely ... every project ive ever done.... there people working just hard as me to derail things with expert BS ...so any more i pay no attention to experts and if something come alone i can look into i do ...this is one of those deals .. this project here i am missing all kinds of parts to complete it .. and have no clue if i will ever get them ... but enough to figure out if it will work ...sheesh denver ..i can tell you that a hack saw is a great tool ...but my hands are greater ... smart hands are the best tool and free with effort to train them ....right now the hacking is going on as i am getting the lower part of the swing arm ready to weld

pics coming :builder: i like hammers too :thanks:

ok pics .. it is mostly ready for welding now ... the goal here as always is the best structural piece as possible .... as this one goes ..i can assure you its better and stronger than the original piece before modding ... if you notice where the welds will be ... they will form a structure within a structure and totally beats a raw tube many times over ....i could care less to ones that discount this ......it is for the ones who want to learn ... its very hard to impossible to beat me at this game ...no matter how much paper you drag and numbers in the pocket ... both meaningless

its looking better and better that this will work fine ... i will give it to my son to weld ... i taught him so well ...hes better than me ...gee :shock: im no fool ...when hes done it will be so strong ... cant wait to get it to the bikes to size it up :thanks:
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

The more I think about "smart hands," the more I chuckle. In a good way. Whenever I make a mistake on the board in front of students, I always talk to my hand and bawl it out for not listening to my brain. "Pay attention!!"

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135836#p135836:szlvrp2l said:
ekvh » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:27 am[/url]":szlvrp2l]
The more I think about "smart hands," the more I chuckle. In a good way. Whenever I make a mistake on the board in front of students, I always talk to my hand and bawl it out for not listening to my brain. "Pay attention!!"
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
It's normally my hand telling my brain to pay attention! :yes:

nah dan just joedrum blab ....well thanks everyone....and yes backlander the metal fitting here retains at all the metal in the stock swing arm except hack saw shaving ... even in the one bad spot that clearly visible in the pics ....i have to admit i only made one mark ... and it was just a dot on how much tube had to be cut out after making the first cut in tube ...i free handed everything else ..and got it good everywhere but up the blind side V

well i am going to turn a pipe to go in upper part tube that was cut ... it will be full length ..it just not smart not to ....it will beef it up big time over stock ... the stock tube pieces will be drilled ... so not only the seam be welded but it will be plug welded too ...along the length of the sleeve in various spots ...

guess it time to see what ID is on tube :thanks:

that funny guys :smilie_happy:

im with tony my hands have got it all over my bain for sure :hihihi:

You probably mentioned this before, but what about the swing arm bearings? Are they all the same? Which do you use? I was thinking the 1000's were getting hard to find parts (the sleeves) for, so this would be a good mod to upgrade to. You have done this with the 1200 in your 77. Was it just a little filing/grinding to get it to fit?

yes eric .. and you have to have the pivot bolt and sleeve for the 1000 to mod them to work ...on 1200 swing arm plus a bit of frame grinding ... hooch has had the done to it so it excepts 1200 swing and final

well after talking with v and dan on 1500 swing and final deal things will change a bit ... and will not weld up right away ... i have seen a bit of change to work out ...nothing big really ... :thanks:

Ya have much more aggressive idea's than me any more; :good: that said happy to watch,learn, & help when i can! As we have spoken about the idea of 1500 wheel,mount for brake,& rear end on 1200 swing arm before.Any spec's from me are from my own 91,or 94 off one, if not this site,happy to share.That said,you have a great idea, if not too much to modify, & lot more of em around,to play with. :yes:

sheesh after venturing out to look at frames its looking like the 1000 frame is the one to use here ... it is actually wider in the crucial spots .. for this mod where the swing arm goes ....so this may get the mongrel frame ..the 79 1000 frame .... amazing how each step bends the path as i go ... mongruel frame is fine with me it has nice hiway bars welded to frame already eith nice thread foot peg ends for fold up pegs and frame is empty to work with as easy as possible so this is looking like plan for me for the moment ...sheesh its cold today .. hard to stay out long

the short story here is that theres about 7/8" off set in the center ..or tracking alinement and i am pondering all ways of doing this before welding things up... maybe line things up better on center line ...maybe leave things as is ... moving slow here :headscratch:

I don't believe it will affect performance much. From way I've read and been told, the two wheels don't have be in the same planes, but the planes of the wheels need to be parallel to each other. I haven't done it, so I'm just repeating what others have said. It's good to go.

ok ..my mind moves like pond water ...but bottom line is ..im not going to do any kind of mechanical miss alignment for tracking alignment ...some other things have been turning in the mind too ....ive pretty much decided this will be done to a 1000 frame ... this mod will add 6 1/2" length in the wheel base....this will be my super like custom build ....even thinking of raising the front end some or raking ...also so this will open up a lot of room behind motor ...especially if i go with top mounted tank ...so i am ready to weld this up after final tweaking

Always wondered how one would squeeze this much larger swing arm into the space in the 1200 frame,& how the much longer wheel base would,or not be desirable(,don't want a hill climber). That's why the upgrades,or changes to stock parts was the most logical & doable solution to me,after looking at them side by side. :yes:Keep up the modifications :whip: :thanks:

Latest posts