1500 swing arm mod attempt to fit 4 cylinder oldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well just about got it ....1100 final dive in hooch brake all hooked up except for brake arm bolt in caliper bracket ....sheesh was great day if i finished it i could have tested it ...maybe tomorrow it will good day also ...

pics
image.php

image.php

ok got it all together sheesh i hate those clips ...lost it once inside swing arm ....got lucky and got it out...

also got a short ride in ...the 1100 final drive really is the sweet spot in the hooch bike ... the primary barrel of the of the 32-34 dft carb will put you back hard in the backrest .. that thing is a requirement for me ... my hands are strong and this bike yanked them off the bars several times ... i didnt push things to much as this is try out test run for quite a bit of mod work ...i got enough time in now to know this gearing is meaner than either 1000 or 1200 finals....

i hope it all works to my satisfaction as modding the 1100 swing arm to run with 1000 framed bike was a big job .....

the only discount i can say and happens a lot with this bike is....it always catches me off guard the power and speed of things happening so fast ...seems the power to weight thing makes it seem like it going to fly or explode and your in no way put it to it...i will have to check things over well with test rides and some time in before doing anything with some big power ..... :yahoo: :thanks:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140863#p140863:rgtk27la said:
ekvh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:11 pm[/url]":rgtk27la]
I envy you being able to ride in February.

well eric it was brief window and i was very lucky...temp droped big time ... be no riding today for sure ...it was nice to get a small ride in :mrgreen:

got some pics ...
image.php

this shows a 1200 swingarm and 1200 wheel mounted i marked a center line .....

image.php

this is 1500 wheel and final mounted on the same 1200 swing arm after drilling final mounting holes bigger in swing arm so it fits ...with same mark ...to me as i see it it is off maybe 1/4" maybe a bit more but all in a good direction ....certainly not 1" as has been pushed by many ...someone post it actually fit better in swing arm than the 1200 stock set up ...hmmm think it was eric ...well he was right ... this is certainly a great mod .... fixes wheel problem with 1200 wheels and a bit taller gearing ... so this is looking good to me .... seems i might be missing a wheel spacer but sheesh 99.9% of the parts are here ...i might be able to make a spacer maybe ... but this is sweet :builder: :thanks:

Looks good. How much wider is the tire? I haven't ridden one, but others claim as long as the wheels are parallel, it will ride fine. Which brakes will be used?

It may be more centered than the original, but what isn't seen is how it lines up with the front wheel. It may be, but on the 1000, the wheel is to the right of center to line up with the front wheel and leave room for brake rotor and caliper.

This is going in a 1200 bike so may line up or not but at 1/2" or maybe less I don't think it will be much of an issue to get them lined up.

Supposed to use the 1500 axil & bolt with one spacer & the washer with the swap, may be only one. :headscratch: Bolt goes through a little father through the nut, if memory serves. :good: Glad you chose this way for me to see how it fits, as have been gathering parts to convert a standard, or faired 1100 to a 1200 standard. They are hard to find, & shelter is separate from fairing, making an almost plug & play, transplant candidate. :salute: 1500 rear wheel came my way @ a good price, & with double bearings on drive side make it an easy choice, if machining brake mount is like they say, almost plug & play :yes: Great work, :Egyptian:

This looks like a good mod. A bit spendy for parts, depending on. The rims varied a little on the 1500's but one was quite a bit like a Lester. More on my to-do list. Thanks a lot, Joe!!!

well i wanted to update this thread ...there were several average hiccups while doing this the spacer in final was at one time seated by dumb hands an a hammer i think ...i was lucky to clear the burrs in the deepest part of the final so spacer sleeve could be seated all the way down ...this took some time to find and then fix ...steal always whips aluminum ...finally got all things together ...had a spacer that was to big to use and carefully file it down till brake caliper bracket was centered ... this did not leave room for anything else to be use ... seems others used a washer i couldnt ...

now it was time to put it all together and did ..pics
image.php

once together i had the bracket trapped in place but was loose enough to wing it around some ...i modified in place ...starting with hack saw ....then finishing with file ...all a hand mill job ....and the jig is second to none as it is in place ....
image.php

in place after milling...looks as though when shock is mounted probably wont see much of the mill work
image.php

this pic show 1500 wheel center and the mark on swing arm is same one that represents 1200 wheel center ...my marks were as good as i could make them but importance was low just mark it...but for sure off set is very small in this mod and no where near 1" as has been said ....

the best thing in this pic is you can see how the mill job is at shock mount ... when i blew up the pic the first time ...i was totally impressed nice fit ..not into patting my own back just saying i was shocked a bit when i seen it...

other good news is ..i got the parts to put a 1200 swing arm and final drive and wheel on something ...i will be dismounting my 1200 wore out tire and going to get with backlander and we are going to mill the 1200 wheel down some to except a car tire ..without being a danger to mount for the one doing it ... mounting tire accidents are no joke ...air bombs are killers and nothing to gamble on for me :builder: :thanks: ...

Latest posts