1500 swing arm mod attempt to fit 4 cylinder oldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well been out today to check frames and ...this is the deal....as the way i modded this 1500 swing arm it wiill not work in the 1200 at all to much garbage in the frame around it ... it really wont work in the 1100 frame but the problems are not quite as bad as 1200 is ... as for 1000 frame sheesh it is wider than 1200 or 1100 frames ...but there is still going to be some modding but to a lesser degree .... to have modded the swingarm to a degree for it to fit better would weaken it ...the frame mod on the 1000 is not a critical area so this is not something to do on 1200s 1100s or even 1000s really its just a joedrum thing ....i will just custom fit everything in this 79 build ... this is the bike i originally was going to put the 1200 transplant in its ok ive got a 1200 to go in there and it will get one .. :thanks:

well yes it will be a bit before its mounted in frame dan ...there is pivot pin modding and sleeve modding too the 1000s use and the frame mod also ......frame needs drastic clean up to say the least ...this builld might be extreme in many ways i hope ... 6" stretch is a good start ....pics coming i am sure when things happen

well eric it would work ...but i doubt i will be getting the parts together to finish this anytime soon ... my effort has jumped to the 1800 swing arm mod ...and this is where any parts i get will go to... the advantages of the 1800 deal and the user friendly way its design is where i am going

gee ... i am again floored ... got a 1500 wheel here now ...as always this mod too was filled with disinfo ...i am really mad at myself cause it was obvious the whole time the info was wrong ....to be plain and simple if there was a 1" offset in tracking using 1500 wheel on 1200 it wouldnt fit in the swing arm....it is is also obvious by just looking at the 1500 wheel it is all one sided heavy on rotor side ... this is where all the extra frame width of the 1500 was mad up ..the drive side specs out just as any other oldwing .....

i actually put this off from consideration because of this again now seen for real ...just totally wrong ...

it is so terrible that the number one problem with the forums is dumb wrong info repeated till true ....sheesh ... anyway as far as this post is concerned this 1500 wheel is going on the jyd bike 1200 dresser project and will track as it did before ...if i put the modded 1500 swing arm on a 1000 or 1100 or 1200 it will track as before ....... ive never seen anythinng like the wrong info and cant myths in oldwing world of babble :Awe: :thanks:

Sorry to hear of your set back, was hope full because of sheer numbers of 15 swing arms. Still 15 wheel ,drive, & caliper mount modification, with 12 swing arm, will still give you a bit more top end, & that's a plus. :yes:

no set back denver ... this is move forward ... the the reason to use the 1200 swingarm is to keep the wheelbase the same .... when i get the parts needed i am going to put the already modded 1500 swing arm in something ... same with 1800 swing arm everything looking good just need more parts is all ...

i am sure the 1200 swing arm can be modded to hold any tire the 1500 can and with no tracking problems that cant be handle quite easy as in clearance ... looking like a great mod to me ....

Same disinformation and myth spreading on just about every bike or car or mechanic forum. Good news indeed on the facts of the mod.

sheesh its getting worse .. ive certainly ran into problems here ... seems the 1500 wheel will not fit the 1200 final drive ....at least not good enough for me .....im glad to have the parts here so i can figure this out ....but it seems i need a 1500 final also for this to work right ...sheesh i will get to the bottom of the mod ....i will take some pics today to figure all this :nea: :Doh2: :shock: :cheeky: :read: :whip: :music2: :doh:

Guess I missed the 1500 wheel to 1200 final mod somewhere, the only one I've ever read about was the 1500 wheel and final to the 1200 swing arm which was very minor job, enlarging the four final drive bolt holes to mount the 1500 final to the 1200 swing arm and a small amount of grinding on the brake caliper bracket for some clearance. That would give you more braking from the 1500 caliper and a 16 in wheel.

well i think i twisted some info ...anyway it dose appear to take a 1500 final drive unit .....i was under the impression the 1200 wheel could be use on 1500 final and i assumed it worked the other way too ..i think the truth there is neither wheel fits the other final...its probably me remembering wrong ...anyway i will figure it out

well as i wait for 1500 final drive for the jyd bike..... i am also putting in the 1100 final drive in hooch ...this was the first big mod i ever did to a oldwing ... sheesh as things go this was the hardest final drive switch one could do ....it involved modding the swingarm piviot pins.....and changing the unchangable u joint off the 1000 shaft and put it on the 1100 shaft as this made the drive shaft 1" shorter to fit the shorter distance from back of motor to swing arm pivot pins mounts of the 1000 frame .....this made my 79 1000 much taller as i did lots of 1000 mile trips .....i have learned since then this mod has made it to where i could use a 1200 or 1500 final in a 1000 bike ....hooch has already proved this as it has had a 1200 final in it for about 1/2 a year now... i really like this set up and will probably go back to it.....parts of the 1200 final in hooch are actually parts for jyd build so i have to get more parts ....plus i really want to use the 1100 final in hooch ...its a bit lower than 1200 final not much but some... should do really well ...and the kicker is ..i have tire for it thats in good shape LOL....

there is also the darkside tire deal to all of this .... on 1200s when rim is turned down a bit to fix the dangerous manufacture of a rim that called the same but not ....is 3" rim just like the 1100 rim ...the 1500 wheel is 3 1/2" rim and can use car tire ....and the 3" rim of 1200 can also....so the 1100 rim might hold car tire too with no problem ...so if i like the gearing i might go for car tire ... there are two tires that seem to work great ...both are way better than bike tires as in mileage this is fact...

plus i also have a couple 82 comstar wheels that are really set up nice to mod to bigger rim if i want and find the right wheel rim to mod to the comstar hub ... so this is all exploratory ...but mostly it get hooch ready to ride the fastest i can :BigGrin: :thanks:

some pics
image.php

this pic shows hooch with 1200 swing arm and final drive removed ...it also shows how much i like the front ride off stand as it and atv lift makes really good stable bike to work on even in hillside work position this pic is
image.php

this pic shows clearence the 1200 tire and final set up as it is ... i also have centerline marked ...and when 1500 final drive and wheel gose on this 1200 swing arm i can for sure comeup with any offset for real with pics to see to concrete the fact ...
image.php

image.php

these pics show the 1100 drive shaft i modded back in 2008 i think ...when i modded the 79 1000 to 1100 swingarm and final drive ....the 1000 drive shaft u joint end was put on the 1100 83 shaft and sleeve....you can see on the 1100 shaft it has deep c clip ...sheesh that a pain just like the other end is :builder: :thanks:

pic
image.php

this pic shows two 83-82 drive shafts ... the short one has the 1000 u joint put on to make where it works on shorter distance from motor to swing arm on 1000 framed bikes .... sheesh it is job messing with the c clips of this setup ....you can see when honda increased the wheelbase they increased the u jpoint end....i am still after yrs trying to figure out why ....1100s had to make different shaft also on 1100s ...cant figure out how making the end bigger help anything and im sure it cost more ...dont think it made the loint any better or last longer....must be something they were thinking i cant figure out at all :builder: :thanks:

iknow this thread hopping around all over the place with these final drive switches ....but so is the poster ....today i finally got the 1100 swing arm and final in hooch ... had to some slight file milling after first wedging the swing arm as tight as possible first before removing it to mill it right ...

my observation of the different wheels and drives leads me to say the 1100 is most stout setup in wheel set up ....it well also get 82 rear brakes that are twin piston non linked brake set up ... im at that stage now putting brakes back in pics tomorrow if its decent enough to do it ...weather wise .... :builder: :thanks:

Latest posts