1500 swing arm mod attempt to fit 4 cylinder oldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is what you do when crap outside ..been that way forever ..and need something to do...pics
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

im not even going to try or recomend to anyone to do this or how i did it ...i was delirious from cabin fever
image.php

ahh the prise wanted to get down to the rim ...this rim will be modified to take car tire ....it for sure has has a bead back off bump and im sure this is the danger spot ...sheesh at big tire pressure this a tire could blow the outside off rim esay iv seen what tires can do to someone ...anyway job done ..tire off :builder: :thanks:

well gerry it sure finished this one off ....eric i see you ask 1500 rim now ...it is 3.5 wide rim x 16"......after looking at things good ...im just going to hand file mill the rim ...it looks rather easy and i should have this ready for tire soon ...but again this a 1200 wheel 3.00x15"

finished pic....
image.php

ok im done with the rim mill ....you can see it still shares all the features it had before ...it all just cut down a bit ...we will see now to come up with tire to test it ...good snow day job completed i hope .....i didnt get to aggressive just enough to hopefully mount tire normal air pressure to bead it ..... :builder: :thanks:

Joe, what specifically did you "modify" on the rim? I can't really see a difference in the two pics, other than the last one looks much cleaner, and shiny. Is there a ridge, or groove, or what, that needs to be removed to fit an automotive tire?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142518#p142518:3ofdymoa said:
AApple » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:15 am[/url]":3ofdymoa]
Joe, what specifically did you "modify" on the rim? I can't really see a difference in the two pics, other than the last one looks much cleaner, and shiny. Is there a ridge, or groove, or what, that needs to be removed to fit an automotive tire?

+1

as the finish pic shows theres a bead back off bump ...this was milled down with file ....also the flat spot before you get to rim side wall piece ...is not really flat ....its tapered up to the side wall rim part...so used a flat file wide enough to to file back rim bump and also outside part of the taper and filed ...the rim was still dirty then and the evenest of the cut on of the bump and taper cuts i could judge the consistency of the cut then clean the milled job with even a finer cut file while i cleaned it all also..as said i didnt go super aggressive its kind of blind working as i dont know how much is needed ...so this is my first try ... :BigGrin:

I though that the shoulder angle was different, it was just hard to see in the nice shiny after picture.

well i did right at the computer ...it was like a blizzard outside....would have had to look for stuff to do it any other way ....wanted to see how the bead fit the tire ....required window to see...wanted to see how tough it was...

there a huge talent to cutting rubber if you can do it ...the rubber cutting was the easiest part ...if you dont know how to do it its impossible ...knowing the principals of binding on the cutter is everything .....the non blade hand is where its at ...it takes two smart hands to do this job ....cutting the tire window was quick all the way down to the bead ....cutting the bead steel cable was the hardest part ...the first one ...had to leave one side still beaded good ...get the other bead up and over enough to cut it with hack saw....this was the hardest part ...once that was done the other was easy ....

as far as milling the rim is round to start with is easy to stay with ...with smart hands on the file ...touch is everything ...because its round it rolls smoothly on floor ...cause its round it easy not to load the file ...anyway not sure this will make sense to anyone but i tried..... the reality is this mod didnt take long ...there was no set up or jig time ...and it didnt warrant it in my eyes and hands ...i did it the easiest way for the conditions of yesterday ... :builder: :thanks:

Sounds like cabin fever to me!! :smilie_happy:
The result was good :good:

Latest posts