1500 swing arm mod attempt to fit 4 cylinder oldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing the same thing joe, I found this info the other day and thought I would pass it along to you for whatever it may worth. The 15 in car tire is designed for a car rim that is suppose to measure 14.968 in. The 15 in motorcycle tire is designed for a motorcycle rim that measures 15.080 in. That's a difference of 0.112 in. which explains the air pressure of 100-125 lbs to seat the bead if the motorcycle rim is not cut down, however the internal bead lock, raised inside portion of seat areanear center of wheel should be at least partially left in place don't you think ?

ok ...i see no reason for there to be anymore taken off than it takes to get tire on safely ....so i do think theres plenty that can be left on rim ....also if done right the tire will dam near seat itself ...this is what im going for mike ... best ways to do things is not strait line engineering as most things are ....

ok it seems my camera bit the dust for good just wont work anymore ... anyway on the 1200 wheel it hass a back bump bead on the rim from there eveything sort of climbw to the out side of rim bead area ...i have a rather big file that will stadle this area ..and i will file here ...and it will be easy to see what ive taken as it will sohow in a line filed flat on the angle rise of wheel...be hard to mess it up much like this and takes no jigging to do it ... so thats my choice i dont think its going to take much filing really :builder: :thanks:

Eugene & Spencer from Hillbilly Blood would approve. :hihihi: They come up with some great ideas, up on Cold Mountain, love the show, :BigGrin: hate most reality shows, & sitcoms, :cheeky: but this ones a trip. :smilie_happy:

tire came in yesterday ... sheesh looks rather challenging to put on :shock: im sure ill survive sheesh tire is beefy looking tread looks great and shape looks great ...looks way better than the bike tire do ....it looks like the fit inside swing arm is going to be good ..i see no problem except its not mounted yet :doh: :hihihi:

Good luck, Yamaha makes a GREAT tire mounting spray lube! :BigGrin: You know how much i like to spend money, :Awe: well this stuff is now ALWAYS within arms reach of my tire mounting, & dismounting setup. :good: Replaced the tub of vegetable shortening used in the past, for tire lube!!! :hihihi:

ok ive had the tire on ... it did about bead itself .. but i for sure didnt take enough out of rim ...it almost beaded up never went to high on pressure yet .... it is the back bead bump that causes the most problem in mounting ...ive got the tire back off rim and cutting the back bead mostly off ... pics still broke down also lol :builder:

ive got out the heavy duty tools now ....tire is back off ...4" grinder being used now ...the back bead is totally gone now .... :rtfm: a paper brain telling everyone how to live ..... :whip: back fool :hihihi: :builder: have bike wheel will car tire it

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154227#p154227:2xs615ds said:
AApple » 36 minutes ago[/url]":2xs615ds]
:useless:

:smilie_happy: :hihihi: :smilie_happy:
Agreed. Need pics joe.

seems funny when i really need pics to show im down in that department ... well did not use laith or any spinning ....diid all by eye and touch ... got a little wild with grinder but im a tool rest thats hard to beat ...so some some finish filing and it time to seat tire again round 3 ....LOL..... hmmmm pics i hope happen before tire mount not sure thats going to happen :thanks:

well mike tire back off and round 4 of milling going on ... sure hope this gets it .. i know it seems like a lot of failure but going slow ... wheel is not hurt at all yet ... im sure hoping to get this right as it looks perfect for hooch ... and gearing also i think will fit the bike good .... :builder: :thanks:

Latest posts