1500 swing arm mod attempt to fit 4 cylinder oldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok making progress today ...made a wheel holder sort of lathe today ... did the wheel again .. one side beaded all the way ...the otherside still lack some but closer... so im getting closer... so far ive used nothing but a pancake compressor to air up tire ...so if i can get it to bead out both sides ....it will also be very easy to bead out on tire changes ...so its back off for one more go around id say .... as things go ...i havnt hurt this wheel any with the metal ive taken out ... been battle but im hanging in there ok :thanks:

:useless: yep ... well the one side went twice in a row ....as far as grinding goes ive taken the whole back bead bump off the wheel ... from there the rim angles up to the edge so now im grinding that angle where back bead was at to edge ....ive put in up to 60 lbs pressure in so far as a high to seat it ....

guess ill demount and try again .... :builder:

Try the boom-boom method? I used it on my 16" the last time. It wasn't ether but close to it. Sprayed a bunch in, used a lit propane torch to touch it off. Swelled right on there, but began to shrink quickly. We got the air to it just in time. Can be dangerous if you overdo it.

SUCCESS ......finally tire on and beaded ....nothing done to tire ...wheel will bead itself dam near with pancake compressor... top beading pressure was only 60lbs ... rim is well fitted to car tire size now ....must admit it took way more time than i thought to do it ...but it was first time didnt know where problem spots were... seems to be a lot ..... wish i had camera going now to take pics will soon i hope .... :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :heat: :thank_you:

Have you tried a ratchet strap to cranked in middle of tire to get it to seat? :headscratch: Has worked more than once to seat a bike tire on a bike wheel, that didn't want to seat. :yes: Now have a nicer one made to seat tires, works better, but same principal. :good:

well for the time being lets just say there quite a bit of work to make a gl 1200 wheel and a car tire go together safely ... i can say there is plenty of wheel left also ...i dont think the wheel strength has been effected....im sure i wouldnt take so long on another one .....LOL im rather sure a bike tire would be a real problem now to mount and bead i bet ...be kind of loose

hi mike seems the tools needed to do this job is 4" grinder and regular stone wheel and a cut off type thin one too ...and makeshift lathe ... mine was axcle bolt through wheel .. then supported on each end .... wheel spun nice like that .. i powered it with the grinder itself using pant leg to slow wheel down some so it cut also ...worked great

165 80 15 mike the bead bump is on bothe sides ...wheel has to come down alot by outside rim and the bump ...there an angle there ... it needs to be there mostly ... basiclly bump gone and everything else taken down some too ... wheel is fine gor strength ..as i see it ...rather big job to do right .... :yahoo: im glad i finally got it

Thanks, won't be long I'll be attempting this. :builder: Now you need to find the sweet spot on air pressure. Seems to be between 38 and 42 pounds, the ones I've talked to made 2 lb increment adjustments to fine tune it to their individual bikes. Glad you got her mounted up. :yahoo:

Glad you got it figured out & mounted! :yahoo: The harder the job to get assessed & accomplished, the GREATER the SATISFACTION, & bigger the GRIN!!! :party: Good work!! :salute:

ok ... seems today will be swingarm switch for the 1200 powered 1000 framed hooch bike .... 1000 framed bikes have the shortess wheelbase of all oldwings ...1" of this difference is from the output shaft to the swinarm pivots ....swingarm itself is 3" longer than 1000 if i remember right ....i may have brake issues with parts on hand ...just have to dig and find out hopefully i have everything i need to switch out finals.... :thanks:

:useless: :builder: pics :yahoo:
image.php

this is the high precission make shift lathe ....worked great

image.php

hmmmmm ...seems my 20yr old plus tire did lots of miles on my trip and made it home ...it was something to think about during trip back ....fortunitly it rain the whole way and mother nature kept the tire temps way down LOL.....anyway i made it .......big difference from the 1100 tire 140 90 16....

image.php

i think the shape of tire and all is great ... notice the tread cut ...the tire actually has four edges on its rotation to me this is grip...plus the outside edges that seem perfect looking to me

image.php

beefy

image.php

id say this is going the fill the rear of hooch up good pic is deceaving some theres a slant here everywhere..... :thanks:

Latest posts