1500 swing arm mod attempt to fit 4 cylinder oldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the wheel was hardly bothered ... dose it have a back bead anymore ? no.....is it mill even deeper than that yes ...at back bead area and from there to inside the outside lip on rim ...did i take a lot out seem so .. but i went very careful ....but i consider the 4" angle grinders as aggressive tools ... you really got to use touch and extreme hold on tool ...some kind eye sheilds and smart hands ....actually the wheel where i grinded it looks better than everything else ....and just enough to work ... some might think back bead has to be there ... i say there no way this tire is backing up this is a custom made perfectly fitted wheel now that will mount easy :thanks:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154584#p154584:8934e7gc said:
joedrum » Today, 5:08 pm[/url]":8934e7gc]
the wheel was hardly bothered ... dose it have a back bead anymore ? no.....is it mill even deeper than that yes ...at back bead area and from there to inside the outside lip on rim ...did i take a lot out seem so .. but i went very careful ....but i consider the 4" angle grinders as aggressive tools ... you really got to use touch and extreme hold on tool ...some kind eye sheilds and smart hands ....actually the wheel where i grinded it looks better than everything else ....and just enough to work ... some might think back bead has to be there ... i say there no way this tire is backing up this is a custom made perfectly fitted wheel now that will mount easy :thanks:
Pics of the wheel before and after would have been nice. Oh well.

pics
image.php

ahh nice looking to me ...mounted in swing arm and open to see

image.php

check this clearence out ...wow looks like a 175 or maybe bigger tire will work ....looking good to me ...time for bike now to get it put on :thanks:

That's way more clearance on the finial drive side than I have with the 140 on the 82 1100 but still no marks or scratches on side wall of tier. I really like the 230's on the 82 its handles great, stops great not too noisy. Going too stick with the 140 for now. So far no issues with the 230's they track fine . Just a fitment issue on the 82 swing arm. Jerry

yes it is 1200 swingarm dan ...seems my threads wander a bit ......maybe it should be split off ..as this is more a darkside issue or car tire more than swingarm issue ... truth is ive had 1000 final 1100 final and 1200 final mounted in hooch already ....and this is all about going darkside on hooch with the 1200 swingarm ... rear tires are about 150$ for 1200s ..the car tire was 52$ delivered to my house ....its also obvious that a new tire dose one good trip and there done as pictures show.....trying to get hooch safer on the gravel roads and all conditions also longer tire wear ... :thanks:

Looks like more clearance than stock size tires on my 1200's. :headscratch: As long as they don't swell out side ways too much, you appear to have more than enough room to go a little wider yet. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154720#p154720:2cbug2dx said:
Denver » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:39 pm[/url]":2cbug2dx]
Looks like more clearance than stock size tires on my 1200's. :headscratch: As long as they don't swell out side ways too much, you appear to have more than enough room to go a little wider yet. :yes:

:smilie_happy: makes me wonder if i got it together right :headscratch: :hihihi:

hmmmmmm well i have bike moved and ready to do the swingarm switch....i may have brake problem not sure i have the right caliper to hook up to the 1200 swingarm ...i have a valkery one .. but its different than the 1500 wing and 1200 wing caliper ... will see..... :builder:

pics
image.php

ok ...this is just before 1100 swingarm removal ... you can see shocks are gone...back rack off ...seat off... fender loose and folded over on top so not to take wires loose...pivot pins are loose also couple other things ...but i like doing it this way cause you can take whole unit out ...after brake.... c clip....and pivot pins removed ... 1200 should go on same way ....

image.php

seems i had plenty of room on the 1100 final too for bigger tire on shaft side

image.php

what a dumb move honda made with the 1100 brake rod sheesh ...1100s are the only oldwings with this idiotic set up ....

image.php

this is the center jack i devised for hooch ...its not perfect in use but im getting better with it and it sure is easy to get bike up .....the front ride off stand made this possible to do ...i like it.... :yes:

from here switch is going to happen now im back out to do it :builder: :thanks:

gee wizz ...both ends on the c clip broke off the 1100 final u joint ...first one ...then thr other trying to get the clip off so now i got a clip on and no way of getting it off ....sheesh the is a first for me .. :rant: :cheeky:

pics
image.php

a look at thei inside rear brake stuff removed and waiting for 1200 final ...you can see jack goes where the centerstand used to be ...all gone now

image.php

a pic of the c dlip that both ends broke on finally got it out sheesh ...glad i got it out fustraiting when things like that happen

image.php

1200 final fixing to go in .... :builder: :whip: :hihihi:

really hot at moment took a couple pics of where im at ..while i wait for it to cool some along with me

image.php

rolled up and ready to mount

image.php

wasnt an easy install 1000 are rather rough to mod any other finals to ...but its mounted and done deal now just putting everuthing back together is left .... :builder: :heat: :thanks:

Latest posts