32DFT Single Carb. # # # MPG No.'s # # #

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know if everyone uses premium, or if it makes a difference in the MPG test, but that's what i used to get 51MPG my first tank.

I thought 51MPG was a fluke

I also have to say that I have 1 stop signs/lights, it is all go, and no stop, that must be why my mileage is better.

Stop & Go, is the killer in gas mileage.

Avoid stops and you have just improved your gas mileage.

Avoid speeds over 55 and you just added mileage to you MPG.

Avoid engine RPM over 5k rpms better MPG,

keep rpm between 3k-5k better MPG

OK Finally used up this last tank of gas,

The MPG on my latest tank, running on Primary Only 44MPG.

I noticed one thing, Different though, Smoother engine about half way through the tank.

Engine is smoother, I did not think that it was possible for the engine to get any smoother.

I thought it was already very smooth, smoother than my GL1200 with Oem 4carb rack.

I did the Coil relay mod, while i was doing the Ford F150 Starter solenoid Mod. and i did the switch to a Blade Fuse Panel all at the same time.

I noticed a Performance Improvement, Plugs must be getting more juice, better spark

After i filled the tank back up I took it for a HOT ROD spin, and found all that out nice to have a performance enhancement, when i did not expect it.

Surprise!!!!!!!! Surprise!!!!!!!!!!

So if my engine is running smoother and is burning better than it did i may get better mileage out of my next tank of fuel.

I am with you Joe I like the primary and all but that secondary is just too much fun so at least i know i can get somewhere between 44-MPG and 51 MPG.

I would have been happy if it only got 35 MPG for all the performance it has, I am very surprised that I can get over 40-MPG to be honest.

I have read several 34PICT3 carb posts of guys getting low to mid 30's MPG range, I have no idea how they rode there bike to get that mileage, maybe like a Mad Monkey? dont know

this is pretty much the green light. home boys there are no drawback to the single over stock ...in fact its looking like a big boost ...now it to the home to finish. to get these done and deal with icing issue ...its all worthy to do now :yahoo: :mrgreen: :builder: :mrgreen:

sheesh sorry guys trying to say all the numbers we were looking for are in ..only thing on the table now is icing ...performance makes it worthy to finish out now ..were doing great guys

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100173#p100173:195bhv5a said:
joedrum » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:45 pm[/url]":195bhv5a]
this is pretty much the green light. home boys there are no drawback to the single over stock ...in fact its looking like a big boost ...now it to the home to finish. to get these done and deal with icing issue ...its all worthy to do now :yahoo: :mrgreen: :builder: :mrgreen:

sheesh sorry guys trying to say all the numbers we were looking for are in ..only thing on the table now is icing ...performance makes it worthy to finish out now ..were doing great guys

Joe,

I would like to see two things, one a 32/34DFT on Hooch, and MPG #'s for Hooch.

Well, i know at least one of those two will happen, I know how hard it is to stay out of that secondary.

It is too much fun

Latest run today with custom 1" runners and flanges brazed and air sealed.
No changes in primary jetting.

Ride conditions very close to the same as for weather and traffic.
I used the same fuel stops before and after.

I should do like west, post amazing mpg then abandon the design lol.

Same 168 miles I got 41 mpg.

This may not seem like any improvement but power and cruising is better and smoother now.

Now to work on the jetting.

Hay West , Dan has the manifold Im using and I believe he reports the runners are 1 3/8 ID.,...!! Later Bob :hi:

Hi Bob,

I believe Dan has 1" ID tubes on his bike.

I am almost through with my side projects.

I have been very busy the last couple of weeks,

By the time I get done at the end of the day I am tired, no time for Goldwings right now till shop is 100%

Here are my benches i am building.

The benches have overhead storage, and a library built into each one

I have not given up on anything Dan, Just busy, turning my Shop into a Much more efficient, means for production

I was tripping over everything, Cant take one step, just getting organized, and efficient, I have a lot of project coming up.

Shop is already 80% better than it was

I incorporated book shelves for my reference material

I have fluorescent lighting going under the layer over the bench tops

Two benches are different heights for up close and larger parts

I may go a 3/16"-1/4" Stainless Steel plate on bench top

:lust: a floor... :lust: lights .... :lust: power and tool hook up :shock: :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: still no lights ill quit banging my head ......nice west :clapping: :mrgreen:

West, I'm jealous of your garage :cheeky: , at least I have 1/2 of a 2-car garage to work in :salute: ,....lookin good tho!!! Dan started a thread about his Cycle Innovatons manifold......LIKE MINE......1 3/8" ID on the runners!! Check it out! :hi: Bob

New ride conditions and MPG report!

This was a good mix of freeway, highway,, streets around towns, some traffic stop and go.
One up.
I was not trying to conserve gas to get a good idea what "real" riding average MPG would be like.

Conditions......

Low to high 60's, some lower 70's.

Route......

Went out to Ventura..freeway part way 65-70 mph then cut over on a highway with signals and traffic.
Not much riding in Ventura, just straight to the hotel pretty much.
I did a little service call there, customer paid hotel for son and I for the night while my 11 year old daughter took over the house for a sleep over with friends.
Son was driving his car so just me on the bike.
Raced him a couple times so got in the secondary.

Going back,
35-45 mph street and highway, stop and go.

Took highway one (PCH), leisurely ride 50-55 mph.

Got on Mulholland Hwy with lots of twisties.
Added torque down low is real nice in the tight twisties and climbing grades.

Drop back down to valley floor on Kanan Rd.
Freeway to gas station by home.

38 MPG.

image.php

Was a nice day for a ride. Lot's of canyon carvers out there.

image.php

Latest mileage report......but conditions have changed.

Running a 84 1200 engine in my 83 frame.
Gearing is very close to the same if not identical.
C5 ignition not installed. Running the 1100 ignition.
Runners, plenum, and carb together with the 2 to 1 adapter are unchanged except that I had to use longer rubber couplings (abs couplings) to make up for the 1200 wider spread.

VERY spirited riding in the twisters with 10-35 mph corners, it got 32 mpg over 100 miles.
Mind you this was the 1200 engine first time out and I've been enjoying the added torque and acceleration with a few stop light drag races.
Also 70-80 mph on a 5 mile freeway stretch.
Let's just say I wasn't riding it to maximize mpg.

Looks like you had a great time out on your $40 1200 upgrade. :good: :moped: :salute:

Latest posts