Harbor Freight trailer build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey did you find any rims on line anywhere? I have always just used the wheels on the trailer from factory, do ya think I will get a ticket for putting it on the highway, think the trooper will check that? I have used them for years but never been pulled over while pulling my trailer..I seriously don't think many troopers would think to check the tire or wheel ratings on the tiny trailer...Will they??/ Oh my goodness.. :doh: :doh: :fishin:I may get me some Walmart rims and tires too... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yes:

Hey beav,wheels and tires that come on them are legal for highway use, no problem there. I haven't found what I'm looking for on rims yet, just want something to spruce it up a bit. They do make eight inch tires that are rated "high speed". Probably hold up better and longer than originals. I don't think a trooper going to mess with it anyway.

I was just wondering if someone here has ever experienced a problem with a trooper because it does say 55 max speed on the rim.. I exceed that everytime I get on the road..I have 12" on mine now, I had the other trailer with the 8" one's too. What's the difference? I really can't say because I feel they are about the same..the only difference is the height of the trailer..One's a bit taller than the other..You go man, I want to see you build a kickass trailer, so far it's looking great with that tongue extension on it..I'm with Joe on this give me some.... :popcorn:

looking at the pic on harbor freight of this trailer and your pic. Do you have the tongue on the wrong end of the trailer? The harbor freight pic shows more room at the back to put a little more weight behind the axle.
Yours would not have that little bit of room for the weight behind the axle?

Just wondering as I am in the same process of yours and I did what you did. I have been considering changing the tongue middle bar and side lights to the other end. It is a matter of about 5-6 inches. Does this matter? Anyone with trailer experience want to chime in as to this matter?

The picture must be a little deceiving from angle or something. No way possible to put the tongue on wrong end cause it's predrilled to bolt to braces at 19 1/2 inches center to center which is what front brace and middle are. The middle brace to rear brace is spaced at 23 inches center to center. Side rails are predrilled for axle hangers and they are towards the rear. I lengthened the tongue by 21 inches which maybe making it look a little different than their picture. Glad your building one too, maybe we can share some ideas. If you wanted to change the location of the axle I see what your talking about, just redrill two holes in tow bar making them 23 inches center to center on bar and bolt it up on other end. I actually might want to do that, ciphering time again. Course you would have to flip your axle around too. Have to figure out how much it would change it.

Backlander, man you have got me wanting to make another trailer man..I have that hunger to build a really nice one this time..

you got a nice trailer beav, all the comforts of home in it. Don't you already have two trailers ? I say go for it, can't ever have to many trailers, I just sold one, got eight more different kinds of trailers in the yard and this little one, I'm working on in the house. Oh yeah, and i got two more trailers up on the farm in northeast Arkansas. I must like trailers huh? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

sounds like your a trailer junkie, I actually sold the other trailer with the 8" wheels for like $400.00 to get my money back to buy the 12" wheel one..and build the one I have now, I like the one I have now alot, the wide opening door at the top makes it really easy to get to stuff..I have a couple of those stickon LED lights in the inside of it for nighttime use..It's true it's a neat trailer..

Well guys, the trailer project is still alive, just got put on back burner for three weeks due to some health issues I had to take care of. Got started on it again this week, ran the wiring and built/installed some inner fenderwells for it, picked up a sears x-cargo box (25 cu ft) that fits the stock trailer really nice, glad I didn't go ahead and narrow the trailer like I was tempted to. First thing I thought of when we took the box out of the loft over his workshop was the box on Tory's first trailer. It's identical to it and this box is thirty years old. Anyways, hoping to make progress a little quicker now. The trailer is going to be used like a modular shipping container frame to be used with three different "containers", this cargo box, a camper box and a self loading motorcycle hauler. Here's a couple of pics but keep in mind, this cargo box has not been mounted to it's platform yet. Oh yeah, check out https://www.buggiesunlimited.com for some really cool hubcaps for eight inch wheels, they even have Crager, SS and baby moon hubcaps, just like old school. The camper box is under construction also so all in all it's been a good work week
IMG01085-20120705-1809.jpg

IMG01091-20120706-0953.jpg

Looks very good. I used the same box too. I put the wheel insde cover on like you did. One thing I did was to extend the back wheel well down 4 inches. Keeps the stones from hitting the wiring for the rear lights and keeps the rainsludge off the box.

Since tires do not get balanced I put dyna beads(1 oz) in both tires. took some of the vibration out.

how about some pics of the back?

What are you going to use to keep the top open? I have not figured that one out yet.
The first trip with a trailer is really a rush.

great idea on protecting lights and wiring. I plan on making some miniature mudflaps for it. I didn't think about using dynabeads but I think I will do that also. Here's a pic of the back of the box but I haven't done anything to the back of the trailer, plans are to find something to make an alum or chrome bumper for the rear maybe with the led lights mounted in it.
IMG01089-20120706-0951.jpg

Heres a couple of pics of the hinges that hold the top up, there based on the same principle as what holds legs folded out on tables or folding camping tables.
IMG01092-20120706-2258.jpg

IMG01093-20120706-2259.jpg

IMG01094-20120706-2259.jpg

I can't wait to finish it and take it for a stroll.

Wilco, The pictures ended up in my personal gallery instead of the subalbum :swoon: , but there all there. I guess I yinged when I was suppose to of yanged. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Now I gotta figure out how to move them.

Big day today, the "cargo box" portion of this build is finished. Replaced the seal on the box, (thank goodness for "GOO GONE" getting the old seal off)
IMG01113-20120709-0905.jpg
, mounted the box to it's platform with 1/4x20bolts with an 0-ring to deter water
IMG01118-20120710-0814.jpg
and bolted the platform to the trailer with four 7/16 bolts, one in each corner
IMG01121-20120710-0935.jpg
. The platform is built out of 1/2" plywood with both sides and edges sealed and primed with two coats "KILZ". The part of the platform facing the road surface is covered with two coats of automotive undercoating and the top of the platform is covered with two coats of gloss black Rustoleum Pro enamel. Now to get on the with the construction of the "camper box". I've got a lot of it already cut out and waiting to be put together. The finished product.
IMG01127-20120710-1107.jpg

Latest posts