Harbor Freight trailer build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good looking trailer Mike. The biggest downfall to 8" wheels & tires is that @ highway speeds there is a lot of stress on the bearings. My trailer had a custom frame because HF won't ship to Canada & that 4X4 frame is no longer available here.

Attachments

• 5620_102134_240000000.jpg
    5620_102134_240000000.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 5620_102133_580000003.jpg
    5620_102133_580000003.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 5620_121939_340000000.jpg
    5620_121939_340000000.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 281
Thanks everyone for the compliments on the trailer. :thank_you: :blush: :headscratch: Now if I can just figure out how to get it out of the house. :doh: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: I knew there was something I was forgetting. :whistling:

backlander":27pyde3r said:
Thanks everyone for the compliments on the trailer. :thank_you: :blush: :headscratch: Now if I can just figure out how to get it out of the house. :doh: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: I knew there was something I was forgetting. :whistling:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

:builder: :heat: Got to many projects going on at one time. I finally found the material for the bumper I wanted, it's an aluminum running board from a Dodge Dakota p/u truck, used and might I add it was free :yahoo: Course it was filthy and stained from years of use but it cleaned up pretty good I think with a lot of elbow grease. Anyways, I plan to inset the lights in the middle wide space between the two rows of ridges, so I was wondering what you think would look best, make the bumper as wide as the frame, 40 inches or the same width as the fenders, about 52 inches. What cha think ?
IMG01251-20120807-1440.jpg
IMG01250-20120807-1439.jpg
Actualy it will ride a little bit higher than where it is in the pictures.

I think keep it in so you'd see the fenders from the rear, less chance of "hooking" something with the ends sticking out and can keep the license plate fender mounted, not to mention a slight weight savings.

backlander":wjcbb0yf said:
:builder: :heat: Got to many projects going on at one time. I finally found the material for the bumper I wanted, it's an aluminum running board from a Dodge Dakota p/u truck, used and might I add it was free :yahoo: Course it was filthy and stained from years of use but it cleaned up pretty good I think with a lot of elbow grease. Anyways, I plan to inset the lights in the middle wide space between the two rows of ridges, so I was wondering what you think would look best, make the bumper as wide as the frame, 40 inches or the same width as the fenders, about 52 inches. What cha think ?View attachment 3View attachment 2 Actualy it will ride a little bit higher than where it is in the pictures.

Great looking trailer Mike! But then I am biased as I have the same box. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :smilie_happy:

Attachments

• 5620_102133_580000003.jpg
    5620_102133_580000003.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 5620_102133_580000004.jpg
    5620_102133_580000004.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 258
So, all the votes are tallied and the narrower width rear bumper has won by a landslide victory by a vote of 3 for and one abstention with a vote of confidence attached. In all honesty, I wasn't looking forward to doing really tight right hand circles around a stop sign or fire hydrant either. Now it's onward and upward. :builder: :builder: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: I am backlander and I approved this message.

I would use the narrow width. Less of a wind catcher AND knee knocker.
Just got back from 3200 miles with my trailer. The first 300 miles I was a little unsteady as the first time with a trailer. after 300 miles never knew it was back there. I used the 8 inch tires --started with 20 pounds of air and raised it to 30 as the middle of the tire was not wearing as the inside and outside of the tire.

What did you get the hinge from? I looked and did not find any like that. Would have been real handy to have one.

Keep us posted after you ride with it and how it feels.

You must have made the Sturgis run. Good deal. Yeah, narrow bumper it is and the hinges were already on my box and the box is like thirty years old. They look like the same as the leg locks on a card table, or folding coleman table. Might try a camping or travel travel parts dealer. My trailer is still in the house, I got a big refresh project going on with my bike right now so it will be a little while before I get to pull it.

I have the Markland hitch on my 82 Asspy, what size tires on a trailer would make the tongue and trailer ride nice and level without having to do any mod's to it ?? And also can you lean your bike as much using the Markland hitch ? I just can't believe that they is that much pivot room with this set-up. Maybe I'm just old school from pullin sled trailers in the winter, but with that flat surface on the sides of the ball where is the lee-way for leaning ?? :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Unfortunately Winger, I can't tell you the answer to any of your questions, reason being is I have never pulled a trailer with a motorcycle before. All I like in finishing this trailer is installing the lights, but I have "Suzy Q" torn down for a front to rear refresh and mod project and it looks like it will be another couple of months before that is finished. I have two different hitches I can use, a Markland and a Wingleader I believe is the other one. I also have a homemade 1 1/4 receiver with a 2 in drop on it. I don't think you would have any problem with the Markland even though it does look pretty wide, if your gonna lean that much your probably gonna be dragging metal under the bike anyway. I have seen some changed over to a tie rod end hitch that uses a ball joint instead of a hitch ball and that probably works pretty good, just more hassle to hook up. From my calculations the set up I have should pull level as I underslung the axle with the eight inch tires and removed the small leaf spring from each side. Guess I'll find out when I get it all finished and hooked together.

Time to put the finishing touches on my trailer which until yesterday was still inside my house. I got to have it ready to go to the meet. I decided that even though it was 95 % complete, I just couldn't live with that Harbour Freight red frame, so I broke it all down and painted it the same color as the GL flat four engines and then clear coated it. Now to reassemble it.
IMG02151-20130706-1005.jpg
IMG02153-20130706-1747.jpg

Man with too much time on his hands now that Suzy Q is finished! :mrgreen:
Does look good Mike :good:

Latest posts