Heading to Ohio!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
Well, my wife is improving and we are making plans to head out to Ohio the last week of July to see the grandchildren! My wife, mother in law and my other two daughters are taking the cage, I will be taking the bike! First real long trip since I rebuilt the bike and have been working on fine tuning things for a long trip. I will be making a trip to Strausstown, PA to the Sickafus Sheepskin Outlet before the trip because I can see that the sheepskin will be a big help in the saddle! (These 100+ degree days this week have left me drenched where ever I set on the vinyl!)

We are heading out from New Jersey to Troy, Ohio (just above Dayton). Via cage, it is easiest by PA 76 west to 70 west directly into Dayton and then north to Troy. But I might consider a more scenic route. PA 76 is not very friendly to anything other than trucks! (Which I used to drive many moons ago!) Hey Joe, maybe we can get together finally!

I was just in troy last saterday.Thats where sierra electronics are located and they fixed my intercom for me after it failed the first day into our trip.

Anyway,enjoy youre trip.

Attachments

• sierra.jpg
    sierra.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 258
:cool!: Traveled the turnpike quite regular the last 4 yrs, (son going to college in DC) and it has it's ups & downs, constuction here and there but not real bad (depends on the morons in front of you) guess it's ok if you like to go straight ahead all the time. It does have a few new upgraded/remodeled rest stops on it (Somerset comes to mind), just depends on the time and day as far as the truck traffic
Winger 82 :hi:

Tory":119zkdtq said:
joedrum":119zkdtq said:
glad your wife doing better and cant wait to meet you gerry......

Do I fore see a midwest meat and greet at the end of the month?
I like that idea. Joe has offered to have the barbeque at his place in the past! I'll bring burgers!

dan filipi":ixiuihwy said:
BOTH your girls riding in the car? What's up with that?

That's cool Gerry. Sounds just like me and my family trips, I take the bike while Momma and kids take the car :music:
Well, my wife will not be able to drive very much so my 19 year old will do most of the driving and I found out that my 12 year old likes riding for 20 minute spurts. She has ADHD pretty bad and needs to be moving all of the time. Scenery on a road trip isn't enough for her. But they will be taking turns riding with me between fill ups. I am still deciding if I would rather take a scenic route, but they want to just get out there and see the our new grand daughter Hannah!

mcgovern61":jhwfuuhi said:
Tory":jhwfuuhi said:
joedrum":jhwfuuhi said:
glad your wife doing better and cant wait to meet you gerry......

Do I fore see a midwest meat and greet at the end of the month?
I like that idea. Joe has offered to have the barbeque at his place in the past! I'll bring burgers!

Joes is about a 7 hour ride from here,SO..if I leave real early,I can still enjoy the better part of the afternoon before turning back around.Would be a long day but may be worth it. :good:

Of course,I work every other saterday,so it would depend on the weekend youre going.

Well the dates are set, we are leaving NJ on July 25 and heading for Troy Ohio. Anytime that week might be a good time to get together!

im glad everything is working out now for the trip ......ive made a lot of big trips and its always a lot easier than you think its going to be ....these wings run great on trips and the new gearing you have is going to make it even better gerry ....ride safe and be alert and stop if you have to take a break .....use atf on the trip .... keep me posted ....

Sorry guys,Looks like Im working saterday,and Im not up to 14 hours in one day.
Wouls love a Mid West meet and greet though.We will have to get something together sometime.

Joe,Its been a busy year,and the little lady is still not up to walking yet,But maybe next summer I will come down and take you up on that.
Im still feeling guilty about ditching her to go to NC,and Im already planning the Midnight Ride weekend in august.
Shes been great,and knows that riding is what I love,but we arranged for her sister to stay with her when Jake and I went south,and the girl went out and got a job.It all worked out,justt not as planned.Long story short,Im trying not to take off every weekend on the wing this year like Im used to doing.

Tory":1elp759v said:
Joe,Its been a busy year,and the little lady is still not up to walking yet,But maybe next summer I will come down and take you up on that.
Im still feeling guilty about ditching her to go to NC,and Im already planning the Midnight Ride weekend in august.
Shes been great,and knows that riding is what I love,but we arranged for her sister to stay with her when Jake and I went south,and the girl went out and got a job.It all worked out,justt not as planned.Long story short,Im trying not to take off every weekend on the wing this year like Im used to doing.
Tory, family first man!!!! Also, some advice I got elsewhere, "Happy Wife, Happy Life!" :good:

Well we made it safely to Ohio today!! :yahoo:

900+ miles and the bike road like a champ! (Gotta love that sheepskin!!) Averaged 42 miles per gallon and it took about 11.5 hours with stops for gas and good eatin. Thru the western end of PA we got clobbered with thunderstorms for about 4 hours of the ride. (My wife was a tad nervous watching me disappear into the rain! They were in the car.) Good thing I bought some Frogg Toggs right before we left! They work great (except at the front of the neck. I had it unbuttoned and water went down.) I have not taken a road trip since 1981 and certainly not averaging 75 miles per hour back then. An interesting thing happened, I was riding with no jacket on and bare arms. I also had my riding gloves off because it was 98 degrees and 100% humidity when we left NJ. After riding for 3 hours, my arms and hands were tingling from the wind over my arms. (anyone else experience this or am I just too old?) I put on my Frogg Togg jacket and the riding gloves and that solved that problem.

I added one of those cramp buster throttle palm pads and it REALLY WORKS! No strain on my wrist whatsoever and I have pretty bad carpal tunnel!

The only causualty on the trip is the tachometer stopped (I hope loose cable) and the brake light is staying on too long plus the right brake light bulb burned out. Other than that, the longer I rode, the better the engine ran! This is really great since this is the first serious trip since we got the bike as a dead donor in September 2007!

Great Gerry!
Got a couple little bugs to work out but nothing big.

That happens to my arms too, it's wind burn.
I got it bad along with a cherry red sun burn a couple summers back. Learned my lesson.
Now I wear a thin long sleeve shirt if the jacket isn't on. Funny thing, if the arms are covered from the sun and wind you actually feel cooler, I thought I'd be hotter but not so.

dan filipi":2nlfyap1 said:
Now I wear a thin long sleeve shirt if the jacket isn't on. Funny thing, if the arms are covered from the sun and wind you actually feel cooler, I thought I'd be hotter but not so.
I found the same thing! Temps and humidity way up, but I was nice and cool. (Until we got stuck in traffic in Columbus!)

Another item, the radiator deflectors did a great job keeping the engine cool. When I was riding in the rain the temp went down to 1/4 gauge for almost 4 hours!